rosencrantz and guildenstern (1 Viewer)

La-Vie-Boheme

HSC
What do you think about an IP Performance monologue adapted from rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead. I was thinking of either combining some of the speeches made by the Player, or the dead in a box speech that Rosencrantz says combined with some other speeches for length.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Ok, in my opinion it is far too self-conscious and "clever" to be a piece with which you can just let yourself perform to the absolute best of your ability.

It is also very stoic and british, with allusions to other literary texts (notably and obviously Hamlet but also others). The absurdist style in which it is written also wont transpose well to an empty stage (other than yourself) and you will no doubt have trouble finding an excerpt with enough interest to hold you through the whole rehearsal period.

In short, I think it's a terrible text for a solo performance, and you are better off doing something perhaps more "cliche" but with which you can connect and create depth in.

Remember, this is your final school drama performance. If you genuinely love the play, then perhaps it would work, but it's no use choosing something high-brow and boring the audience to tears...

There are so many awesome monologues for guys, it's all I found when I was looking for pieces for myself. Have another look around.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
AlleyCat said:
Ok, in my opinion it is far too self-conscious and "clever" to be a piece with which you can just let yourself perform to the absolute best of your ability.

It is also very stoic and british, with allusions to other literary texts (notably and obviously Hamlet but also others). The absurdist style in which it is written also wont transpose well to an empty stage (other than yourself) and you will no doubt have trouble finding an excerpt with enough interest to hold you through the whole rehearsal period.

In short, I think it's a terrible text for a solo performance, and you are better off doing something perhaps more "cliche" but with which you can connect and create depth in.

Remember, this is your final school drama performance. If you genuinely love the play, then perhaps it would work, but it's no use choosing something high-brow and boring the audience to tears...

There are so many awesome monologues for guys, it's all I found when I was looking for pieces for myself. Have another look around.

AS an HSC English teacher I think its a great option and very adaptable. Some of my students have done it so no reason why you cant

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
tigerian said:
AS an HSC English teacher I think its a great option and very adaptable. Some of my students have done it so no reason why you cant
Yes but this is drama, and Ros+Guil as an IP would shit me to TEARS.

OP, listen to me. Choose something else...

HSC
If you want to do "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" for an IP monologue, go for it. I wouldn't say no to it, other than just saying "Be Prepared".

I really do think that it's a good idea, but with every other option for IP, you have to believe in the subject matter and believe in yourself, so much so that you would be content to do the aforesaid monologue for the remainder of three terms (~7 months)

If all else fails, GOOD LUCK!

hope this helps,
Glenn.Saunders (formerly MKZaa)

La-Vie-Boheme

HSC
Thanks a lot for your sentiments, Really my only deterrent at this stage would be because it may have been done too much before, not that I know, it just seems like such a popular and well known piece that it probably has been done to death.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Don't forget it's also an HSC english text.
I don't know, I guess you could use it if you REALLY wanted, but IMHO, I don't think it will transfer well.

If I have some time later on tonight after I get home from the theatre I will have a look through some plays for you...

I DONT EVEN KNOW YOU BUT I AM WILLING TO LOOK FOR OTHER OPTIONS FOR YOU IN ORDER TO STOP YOU FROM DOING R+G...

<3

Bardo5879

HSC
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is a prescribed text for English Adv. for 2007 HSC though... I thought the rule was that you couldn't use any texts that were set for study... I asked about doing something from Dead White Males, but it was prescribed for Ext 1 Eng so i couldn't do it!!

Check into it though, I may be wrong... if so, LET ME KNOW so i can stick it up my drama teacher! Hahaha

tanguyen

HSC
I reckon it's a good piece to draw an influence from. There's a plethora of issues and techniques R&G discusses..

Loza33

HSC
Bardo5879 said:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is a prescribed text for English Adv. for 2007 HSC though... I thought the rule was that you couldn't use any texts that were set for study... I asked about doing something from Dead White Males, but it was prescribed for Ext 1 Eng so i couldn't do it!!

Check into it though, I may be wrong... if so, LET ME KNOW so i can stick it up my drama teacher! Hahaha
Yea, i think you can draw issues from it... but im pretty sure you wouldnt be able to use a whole monologue from it.. as therefore your subjects are crossing over and giving you an extra advantage - even if you arent studying R&G for english....

Im pretty sure... but check with your teacher...

afro-girl

HSC
a guy from my school adapted it for his IP last year. if you do it right and make it your own - i dont see why it cant be just as amazing.

theblackring

HSC
I was so upset to find out Rosencrantz and Guildernstern was an English text. I love it and would have done just about anything to have studied it rather than what I did. But I think if you adapt some of the lines and truely make them yours, rather than a full monologue, you might do better, creatively. And if you maybe even modernise it, it might make the whole thing a whole lot more appealing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)