Rosencrantz n Guildenstern Are Dead!!!! (1 Viewer)

haz_it_all

jus a query to all the ppl doin this topic.....wen ur writing ur essay are u guna predominatley talk about the themes and how Stoppard has transformed them and why (relating to values) or are u guna talk more bout language and staging.......or a mix of both? :confused:

btw jus outta curioisty u think we'll get less marks if we write 'RAGAD', 'Ros' and 'Guil' cuz fukn hell it hurts my hand wen i write their full names and titles :( :chainsaw:

cakes

hi
HSC
im writing about a mix of both

because the use of language and staging relates back to values and contexts, and language and stuff played a different role in the 1960s to the elizabethan period.

and themes are also important as some are irrelevant to today, and for others, the composers have very different values regarding them

no you wont get penalised for writing RAGAD and ros and guil if you write out the whole name the first time and just put RAGAD in brackets next to it, then use RAGAD for the rest of the essay.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Thing is, there's is a big chance that we're going to get asked HOW he transformed it, so that's probably the best thing to look at.

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
yeah the question should detirmine how this question should be answered...

I reckon that it isn't such a good idea to focus too much on the themes as it can often detract from answering the question.

I plan to only write about the themes when they specifically relate to the different contexts - e.g. if I talk about the theme of fate and destiny i would differ the two between ham and rngrd and then relate that to the changed contexts.

I think the important thing is to make sure that whatever your writing about (whether its themes or other techniques etc) that it relates back to firstly the changes in contexts, and secondly that it answers the question.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Let's put it this way....I didn't like this topic very much. I'm confused.

MrMiK

But the themes can be used to introduce the ways in which he implemented a change. As in the juxtaposition of Hamlet and RAGAD...
Personally. i know some things on how the themes relate to hamlet and how they relate to RAGAD, and ill just memorise quotes and themes .. then bullshit my way thru it. its an english exam. this is what ppl do.

BTW
themes.. which themes r u refering. Almost every source has a new set of themes. Personally, im going for the 5 set out in the Excel book. (Fate and Destiny, Appearance vs Reality, Death, Comedy and Tragedy, Self-Interest)
Just curious.

manta

Originally posted by Loz#1
Let's put it this way....I didn't like this topic very much. I'm confused.
ditto.... yeah I really dont understand the thing with context if someone would be kind enough as to explain it??? I understand themes and the transformation, but I really cannot understand what the deal is with context!!!???!!! help!

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
the context thing is just the fact that hamlet was written in the 15th century where there was a lot of structure in both a religious and a societal sense, and there were certain things that were expected back then. You might also relate the nature of hamlet as a revenge tragedy as being a typical expected play.

On the other hand, RandG came from a 1960's context where that same religious and social order does not exist. Coming back to the structure of the text, you might also go into things like absurdist theatre and post modernism. But the main point is that the different contexts relate to changes in the text (in terms of what the authors are trying to communicate to the audience).

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
*bangs head against wall* Damn you Shakespeare and Stoppard. This is the only module I haven't made notes on yet. It's going to screw me over.

Kiya

this is the only module i know i wont pass! LOL i got 7/20 in my trials for it coz i didnt now what i was was supposed to say.....but u talk abotu the transformations dont you??and bring themes values etc into it?

cakes

hi
HSC
Originally posted by manta
ditto.... yeah I really dont understand the thing with context if someone would be kind enough as to explain it??? I understand themes and the transformation, but I really cannot understand what the deal is with context!!!???!!! help!

context just refers to what was going on at the time the text was written, so that also includes values. they go hand in hand.

so in shakespeare's context (renaissance?), people were interested in philosophy, christian humanism, etc revenge tragedy being a popular genre

in the context of stoppard, you have the satire boom, the beginning of postmodernism, absurdist theatre, theatre becoming made for a more 'exclusive' or 'knowing' audience

TastesGoodBut

im with loz on this one... i hate Ros and Guil and Hamlet soo soo soo goddamn mmuch - its so confusing and contradictory with the syllabus and markers comments...

hey loz.. "im looking for a female... or similar.. wikkiwikkiwikkiwikkiwaaaarrenator, wikiwikiwikiwaaarenator"

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Haha, everyone loves Warren :D. Ezzajay, take your shit to the NS section.

I loved Hamlet, I don't know why i'm finding it so confusing. I hated Jane Eyre and I understand that a hell of alot more than R&G.

starlyte

Originally posted by cakes

so in shakespeare's context (renaissance?), people were interested in philosophy, christian humanism, etc revenge tragedy being a popular genre
Elizabethan. but otherwise correct. look at chain of being and the wheel of fortune (not the tv show), or just look at the front of the shakespeare plays, umm those ones with the crappy pics and the scene by scene piture thing. ummm yeh, thats all

cakes

hi
HSC
Originally posted by starlyte
Elizabethan. but otherwise correct. look at chain of being and the wheel of fortune (not the tv show), or just look at the front of the shakespeare plays, umm those ones with the crappy pics and the scene by scene piture thing. ummm yeh, thats all

yup, sorry, elizabethan...but the renaissance went right thru to the 1600s, and is also important cos its where a lot of the ideas in hamlet came from, such as christian humanism, questioning universal ideas (sceptical philosophy of montaigne??), etc.

err yeah, the comment for my essay in the trials was that i didnt explain the context enough. i'm not sure what to say abuot the elizabethan era?? can someone explain?

the only thing i know about it is that at the time hamlet was written, it was towards the end of the elizabethan reign so there was concern about the future in relation to leadership/kingship, as she didnt have any sons or something.. which is why there are issues like that in t he play.. ermm yeah =S what else? =\

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
i think looking at the following things is extremely important:

in ragad
-context ie. post war disillusionment, absurdism, atheism

in hamlet
-stabliity
-religious beliefs

compare both theatres directly.. ie shakespeare wrote for large audience, stoppard for the elitists theatre audience
and don't forget quotes

I forgot quotes already....

I went into my trial knowing 2 quotes for each module, and I swore to myself that I'd know at least 400 quotes (or there abouts) for each text by now.

Surprise surprise, I haven't learnt any new ones.

Anyway, Context and values is all they want to hear about really, from what I gather. I look at them through the themes. It makes sense to me!

manta

hey thanx everyone for kinda clearing up the context issue... it will help me a hell of a lot now I understand it a bit better!! :uhhuh: I will go have to put this stuff into my notes... :read:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)