Rounding up on Assessments/Tests. (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
A girl at my school got an examination mark of 50/50 for Studies of Religion 1 unit. However her rank was 13th. How does that work? Well sure her assessment may have been like 98 or 99 but how could 12 people beet her??

agua.fuego

HSC
bored of sc said:
A girl at my school got an examination mark of 50/50 for Studies of Religion 1 unit. However her rank was 13th. How does that work? Well sure her assessment may have been like 98 or 99 but how could 12 people beet her??
Depends on when she did the assignment. I mean, if its the very first one, it is pretty strange. But, if not, it changes. Like the whole cumulative rank thing?

And if it's from our year, when did we get RE back?

agua.fuego

HSC
So wait, Huh?
I'm insanely lost. How does it all work? Internal and other ones, the difference.

And yeah, sorry, hiding face in shame, but who IS Sophie Francis?? Is she in our year???? I'm so confused :S

agua.fuego

HSC
Ohhhhh, thanks. I was feeling like such a loser, I mean, 4 years (or 5??) and still not knowing everyone in my year?
So who, then, are you??

Anyway, that was helpful stuff. Now I won't be on here later going "WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THE MARKS??"

Lol, awesome stuff.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Hey, loll funny seeing a thread about my old situation. :D I just wanted to know something though.

The 'averaging' of the HSC assessment and HSC exam mark thing seemed like a good explanation for why my 100/100 didn't gain me first place (i.e. because I must have achieved a 99/100 for my assessment mark, and a 100/100 for my exam mark). The problem is, I did score 100/100 for both my HSC assessment mark, and my HSC exam mark. :)

My own guess was that, because the 100/100 was an aligned HSC mark, that perhaps my raw exam mark wasn't 100/100? Thus separating me from those who tied equal first would be through the raw HSC marks? Except that, I recall reading (I think!) somewhere, that a raw mark of 100/100 converts to an aligned HSC mark of 100/100, so I MUST have achieved a perfect score in the exam? Meaning, I'm still not sure how they differentiated me from the others in first place?

(And yeps - I'm asking because, as a tutor, I'm still responsible for helping my students understand HSC moderation, alignment processes, etc, but if I can't explain my own situation... well, it's embarrassing. I'm always happy to learn more, so yep! - anyone out there know the answer to my dilemma?)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
live.fast said:
Except that, I recall reading (I think!) somewhere, that a raw mark of 100/100 converts to an aligned HSC mark of 100/100, so I MUST have achieved a perfect score in the exam?
yes a raw exam mark of 100/100 equates to an aligned exam mark of 100/100. although, you could get a raw exam mark lower than 100 and still get and aligned exam mark of 100. how much lower depends on how they choose to align your course and on how many decimal places they use.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
Our Physics results have been scaled, and that remains our final mark for that specific assessment task.

I believe it is done on all our tests...

live.fast

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
yes a raw exam mark of 100/100 equates to an aligned exam mark of 100/100. although, you could get a raw exam mark lower than 100 and still get and aligned exam mark of 100. how much lower depends on how they choose to align your course and on how many decimal places they use.
Ahhh. I see the light. lolll thanks me121! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)