RTA P's Penrith (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
hi i've been trying to book a red p test at penrith/mt druitt/blacktown RTA's for late january, early february and it says there is no available time. I forward the calendar throughout all of 2015 and not a single time is available. WTF...is this a glitch, i went to RTA and they said u can only book online. this system is shit, can anyone help?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
They haven't opened the timeslots up yet. Keep checking.

astroman

HSC
They haven't opened the timeslots up yet. Keep checking.
i switched the suburb to like orange and they have like 2 slots open there? why are they closed for the western suburb RTA's?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
i switched the suburb to like orange and they have like 2 slots open there? why are they closed for the western suburb RTA's?
Maybe because they're always in demand, and to not overcrowd the system, they open the timeslots gradually. When I checked for my sis yesterday, Livo timeslots were opened up until 23 Jan. You should check at the start and end of every week to see if new dates are listed.

emilios

HSC
yeah man this happened to me when i wanted to book. lady on the phone said september - january is always an extremely busy period and they're almost always booked out. extremely frustrating tbh, but this is the sort of efficiency you get from government organisations. fortunately a few timeslots did open up due to people cancelling, the one i got i booked about 9 days in advance. just keep checking every day and be patient :) in the mean time make sure you're 100% ready for the test.

D94

HSC
N/A
yeah man this happened to me when i wanted to book. lady on the phone said september - january is always an extremely busy period and they're almost always booked out. extremely frustrating tbh, but this is the sort of efficiency you get from government organisations. fortunately a few timeslots did open up due to people cancelling, the one i got i booked about 9 days in advance. just keep checking every day and be patient :) in the mean time make sure you're 100% ready for the test.
How is being booked out got anything to do with government efficiency? There's a set number of testing officers, with set times and set days. There are 7 other months you can book your test, so you do have plenty of timeslots.

emilios

HSC
How is being booked out got anything to do with government efficiency? There's a set number of testing officers, with set times and set days. There are 7 other months you can book your test, so you do have plenty of timeslots.
what do you mean there are 7 other months you can book your test? the bookings only go to like 1 or 2 months ahead of time. besides, if the gov't just allowed certified private firms to take care of driving tests there would be some incentive to keep up with growing demand for bookings, and competition between firms would streamline the whole process, as opposed to the legalized monopoly we call the govt. that's the tradeoff we get though. as of now bookings are... affordable i guess ($52) but the system is crap, and i can't say whether they would be cheaper or more expensive in a private system but they would sure as hell be more efficient.

and you can't tell me you haven't experienced inefficiency with gov't organisations before. the post office, centrelink, hospital emergence rooms. they're all nuisances.

D94

HSC
N/A
what do you mean there are 7 other months you can book your test? the bookings only go to like 1 or 2 months ahead of time. besides, if the gov't just allowed certified private firms to take care of driving tests there would be some incentive to keep up with growing demand for bookings, and competition between firms would streamline the whole process, as opposed to the legalized monopoly we call the govt. that's the tradeoff we get though. as of now bookings are... affordable i guess ($52) but the system is crap, and i can't say whether they would be cheaper or more expensive in a private system but they would sure as hell be more efficient.

and you can't tell me you haven't experienced inefficiency with gov't organisations before. the post office, centrelink, hospital emergence rooms. they're all nuisances.
You haven't described an inefficiency problem, but rather a structural problem with the system because there's only a set number of options to choose from. An inefficiency problem would usually involve some form of backlog or waste of money. None of this is happening. You don't have to book between Sept. and Jan., but you choose to do so. As with any company or the government, efficiency is improved by cutting something or adding something, whether it be money, resources, staff etc. If it is not viable to do either, then it is no longer an efficiency issue, but rather a complete structural problem. But your complaint of it being a problem stems from your perspective that you must book during these 5 months, but you could very well take the test during any of the other 7 months in the year. You wait until it's January and book for February. What's so hard about this?

I'm surprised you think the post office, Centrelink and hospital ER are akin to a booking system where you are in complete control of when you book.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I wouldn't want privatised firms dealing with driving tests. Also, its not like the government can just hire "Christmas casuals" like that for such a job. The job requires a lot of training and is a skill that should be kept up to date all year (to avoid having to retrain them).

I literally rocked up to my RMS and booked the test for about a week later. Perfect timing. This was November last year.

Doesn't really deal with addressing efficiency if you have privatisation as there isn't anything here to increase in efficiency. Also with privatisation there could be a lot more leniency and misguidance or even a lot more harshness so that they can make more money on allowing people pass or do well. I wouldn't want that because every driver has a responsibility, and something that the RMS has done is shown the responsibility required. They have instant fail items in the driving tests as it is a way of making sure you are a responsible driver and that you are ready to go out onto the road and be allowed to drive by yourself. Privatisation of such a test would lead to a lot of these issues and hence, a privatised system would be a lot worse for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)