• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rudd new ALP leader (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
kaviii said:
LOL, you seem to forget that back during Malcolm Fraser's term, interest rates are also around 17% and worse John Howard was the tresurer. Funny how liberals supporter who like to point out high interest rates during Labor's term but seem to forget about or choose to ignore about interest rates during Malcolm Fraser's term

On the other hand, you cant hold government responsible for interest rates, John Howard giving himself credit for the low interest rates is misleading. Funny how John Howard only takes responsibilty for the interest rates in one direstion, if it goes up he's respond is like "Oh it is not my fault"

The reality is the Reserve Bank and the Board of the Reserve Bank determine Australia's interest rates INDEPENDENTLY of any other influences. They look at economic issues and insofar as Governments can "influence" economics and there is no doubt they can they have an impact on interest rates but they DO NOT set (raise or lower) interest rates.
It was even higher than that, I heard it was somewhere around 21% I agree with you, nobody can claim they keep down/up the interest rate, its driven by many external factors.

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
Scanorama said:
It was even higher than that, I heard it was somewhere around 21% I agree with you, nobody can claim they keep down/up the interest rate, its driven by many external factors.
see.. that's what i dun get. how can the pm promise to keep interest rates low when the reserve bank sets the interest rates and the government only have small influence over the interest rate

spiny norman

HSC
I was glad that Rudd/Gillard challenged. I personally thought Gillard should've replaced Latham, and Beazley should have never come back.

That said, I've always felt Beazley seemed like a fairly decent bloke, and so can't help but feel for the poor bastard on what must rank as being amongst the shittiest days of his life thus far.

I like Rudd. I think he could become an excellent Prime Minister, with his John Curtin-esque air. He has a great ability to sound articulate and knowledgeable whilst speaking, which hopefully won't alienate voters conditioned to distrust those who sound intellectual.

I think this could be the uniting the party needed. For Rudd to have won so resoundingly, in a non-factional alliance with Gillard could see the factions take a backseat until at least the election (we will see after the front bench spill), which I feel would help them have the strength needed to win.

Rudd's a clever politician, possibly the only person in parliament more clever than Howard. Hopefully he can defeat him next year and end the run of the man who has taken McMahon's spot as Worst Prime Minister Ever.

HSC
spiny norman said:
I was glad that Rudd/Gillard challenged. I personally thought Gillard should've replaced Latham, and Beazley should have never come back.

That said, I've always felt Beazley seemed like a fairly decent bloke, and so can't help but feel for the poor bastard on what must rank as being amongst the shittiest days of his life thus far.

I like Rudd. I think he could become an excellent Prime Minister, with his John Curtin-esque air. He has a great ability to sound articulate and knowledgeable whilst speaking, which hopefully won't alienate voters conditioned to distrust those who sound intellectual.

I think this could be the uniting the party needed. For Rudd to have won so resoundingly, in a non-factional alliance with Gillard could see the factions take a backseat until at least the election (we will see after the front bench spill), which I feel would help them have the strength needed to win.

Rudd's a clever politician, possibly the only person in parliament more clever than Howard. Hopefully he can defeat him next year and end the run of the man who has taken McMahon's spot as Worst Prime Minister Ever.
I believe Whitlam will always have that honour, at least Howard's not stupid enough to get fired.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Good on him. I hear Rudd speaks fluent Chinese. +1 Billion points.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Firstly, I think The Honorable Kim Beazley deserves a commemorative thread of his own. Damn decent man. Damn decent.

Second, this is dirty. Very dirty. So dirty that I think that i'll never love another politician. The punters would have come round to Kim when the question became real.

Not a bad start for Rudd. Positioned himself early on Labor's strengths in health and education, while differentiating this from state politics by talking about the federal balance (wall to wall Labor wont be bad). This is something that could really get traction where Kim/Mark didnt. Tough battle to work on national security and the economy/i.r. (with the bomber's work shat all over)

K

katie_tully

Yeah. There is nothing better than laughing at a blundering fool. Despite being a blundering fool, as far as politicians go he was probably the one with the most humanity. Humanity doesn't cut it in politics though.

HSC
Iron said:
Firstly, I think The Honorable Kim Beazley deserves a commemorative thread of his own. Damn decent man. Damn decent.
:\

Was this sarcasm or something? Because if it was, you didn't do a good job at expressing it.

campbellleo

Idyllic Ballina: It's enough to make you rather si
HSC
Kim Beazley was a great man, and it's sad more people don't recognise it. I agree with Tully, he was definitely the most human politician we have had for a while; however, I think that we would be a better country if humanity DID cut it in Canberra.

That said, Beazley would never win an election, because the 'Australian Punter' is too stupid to recognise what they really want. I was glad to see Rudd win and give Labor a chance.

Interesting, however, to note the Daily Telegraph's reaction to the election. Instead of focusing on the actual issues of a new Labor leadership, they - as usual - headed for the sensationalist "Rudd has no policies" headlines, which the ALP supporters probably lapped up.

The man was voted in 6 friggin' hours ago, peope! What do you expect?!

Although, if he had put forward new policies, I'm sure the headline would have read "Roughshod new policies now rule Labor party", or something to that effect.

Peter Garrett

HSC
N/A
campbellleo said:
That said, Beazley would never win an election, because the 'Australian Punter' is too stupid to recognise what they really want. I was glad to see Rudd win and give Labor a chance.
Not stupid, but apathetic (and, by extension, ignorant).

As grand as you may think you and your statements are, you're not going to get much traction if you belittle the political outlook (or lack thereof) of the 'Australian Punter.' Criticise such apathy all you want, but you'd be best to keep it respectful.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I just think that the next election was truley going to be the fight of Kim Beazley's life. He would save Labor from oblivion again and retire with honour.
But now I see that Rudd/Gillard used him in order to get the most effective honeymoon period closest to the election. It's about power and ego, not what's best for the party or country.

jimmayyy

HSC
Johnny is laughing and booking his next three years at Kirabilli.

HSC
funnybunny said:
Yea...and i suppose they just pick any interest rate out of their asses?
It's determined by spending habits. When everyone's spending their money and not saving much, interest rates go up because demand (i.e. spending is up) and supply (i.e. savings) are down. Interest rates go down when the opposite occurs.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Scanorama said:
22%

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Rudd is an intelligent, moral and honest man - his vote on the stem cell bill last night solidified my view of him - if he was the candidate in my electorate I would vote for him, although I do get to vote for Johnny himself which is good enough - its his party and people like Gillard that are the problem.

K

katie_tully

Johnny is laughing and booking his next three years at Kirabilli.
No, I see him sticking around for half a term, before handing the baton to Costello and retiring on a pretty pension.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
New ALP frontbench:

Treasurer - Swan
Assistant Treasurer - Bowen
Finance - Tanner
Trade - Crean
Industry - Carr
Employment & Industrial Relations, Social Inclusion - Gillard
Foreign Affairs - McClelland
Defence - Fitzgibbon
Health - Roxon
Education and Training- Smith
Attorney-General - Thomson
Environment, Climate Change, Heritage & Arts - Garrett
Water & Infrastructure - Albanese
Commonwealth-State Relations - McMullan

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
Just got back from overseas yesterday, so late reply but I am very glad to see this has happened - nothing against Beazley, but I think Rudd has a better chance of winning of winning the next election. I have been saying for a while that the Labor party needs Rudd and Gillard, so I am happy they have done it now, not waited until another election loss to try and do something.

Gald to see Gillard with Industrial Relations and Garrett with Environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)