Running list of key examples for Bio Trials/HSC (1 Viewer)

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
In the inner ear, there is a coiled tube called the cochlea, our organ of hearing (upper left figure below). It translates vibrations in the inner-ear fluid into nerve signals sent to the auditory centers of the brain. Within the cochlea, a complex assemblage of hair cells, supporting cells, and membranes (tectorial and basilar membranes) constitutes the organ of Corti.

View attachment 39921 View attachment 39922
SNPs are variations in a single DNA letter. Different populations have different frequencies of each SNP variant. So if you find that a particular SNP allele is more common in one population compared to others, it suggests that allele originally came from that population. You can use the allele frequencies of lots of SNPs together to figure out where an allele likely originated from.

You could also do phylogenetic analysis but i doubt this has anything to do with the syllabus, it basically involves constructing a tree-like diagram that represents the evolutionary relationships between different populations or individuals based on genetic data. By analyzing the genetic variation at SNP loci and constructing phylogenetic trees, we can determine the evolutionary relatedness of different populations and infer the origin of a particular allele based on its position in the tree.
tysm

SASH_06_X

HSC
Do any of you have a case study for this part of the syllabus? assess the causes and effects of diseases on agricultural production, including but not limited to: plant diseases, animal diseases? I can't find a good example for animal disease(the one in my textbook is only like 3-4 lines).
And also, when the syllabus asks examples, do we need more than one case study for each?

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Do any of you have a case study for this part of the syllabus? assess the causes and effects of diseases on agricultural production, including but not limited to: plant diseases, animal diseases? I can't find a good example for animal disease(the one in my textbook is only like 3-4 lines).
And also, when the syllabus asks examples, do we need more than one case study for each?
plant disease --> panama disease
animal disease --> foot rot

SASH_06_X

HSC
plant disease --> panama disease
animal disease --> foot rot
do we just need the causes and symptoms and effects or do we need factual evidence (for ex, for panama disease it actually happened in Queensland from 2014-15). Do we need something similar for footrot(like if it actually occurred somewhere?)

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
do we just need the causes and symptoms and effects or do we need factual evidence (for ex, for panama disease it actually happened in Queensland from 2014-15). Do we need something similar for footrot(like if it actually occurred somewhere?)
nah not the location thats too much

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
EXAMPLES OF MUTAGENS 🤩

Definition of Mutagenic Agent: an agent that causes changes in genetic material (DNA/RNA)
  • CHEMICAL MUTAGENS
    • Alcohol
    • Tar
    • Nicotine
    • Certain medicines
    • Preservatives
    • Additives
    • Irritants
    • Poisons
    • Cleaning products
    • Asbestos
    • Hair dye
    • Benzene
  • NON BIOLOGICAL MUTAGENS
    • Metals (e.g. mercury, cadmium)
    • Radioactive elements (e.g., uranium)
  • BIOLOGICAL MUTAGENS
    • Products produced by organisms
      • Toxins
      • Nitrosamine
    • Transposons
    • Microbes (e.g., viruses can insert their own genetic material into the host)
  • PHYSICAL MUTAGENS
    • Heat and ionising radiation
      • UV B/C
      • X rays
      • Gamma rays

SASH_06_X

HSC
EXAMPLES OF MUTAGENS 🤩

Definition of Mutagenic Agent: an agent that causes changes in genetic material (DNA/RNA)
  • CHEMICAL MUTAGENS
    • Alcohol
    • Tar
    • Nicotine
    • Certain medicines
    • Preservatives
    • Additives
    • Irritants
    • Poisons
    • Cleaning products
    • Asbestos
    • Hair dye
    • Benzene
  • NON BIOLOGICAL MUTAGENS
    • Metals (e.g. mercury, cadmium)
    • Radioactive elements (e.g., uranium)
  • BIOLOGICAL MUTAGENS
    • Products produced by organisms
      • Toxins
      • Nitrosamine
    • Transposons
    • Microbes (e.g., viruses can insert their own genetic material into the host)
  • PHYSICAL MUTAGENS
    • Heat and ionising radiation
      • UV B/C
      • X rays
      • Gamma rays
Do u have any examples for the response of Australian plant to a named viral pathogen bcoz I don't have any

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
examples for genetic engine

Do u have any examples for the response of Australian plant to a named viral pathogen bcoz I don't have any
Banksia is an Australian plant that undergoes cell death to seal of pathogen due to a response to a fungal pathogen (Puccinia triticina Eriks), causing the plant disease 'rust'. It causes an observable response of yellow patches on the top of the leaf as well as black spots and blotches on the leaf. This is due to a failed physical barrier, thick cuticle and leaf orientation which failed to prevent the replication of the pathogen. The pathogen triggered a rapid active response, which caused the cell death to seal of pathogen, which involves the cells around the pathogen dying, preventing the pathogen from receiving nutrients, leading to pathogen death.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Describe ONE response of a named Australian plant to a named pathogen (3)

-from james ruse paper --can someone help me with this?? I dont think ive learnt this
eucalyptus send those hormones to its roots to strengthen its walls LISO SOMETHING lignin it was lignin, it stimulates hormones to produce more lignin to strengthen its cellular walls to structurally guard against pathogens in soil
??? does this help @SASH_06_X

SASH_06_X

HSC
Does anyone have examples for this syllabus point??? I know the benefits of an epidemiological study but don't have an example(s).
Evaluate, using examples, the benefits of engaging in an epidemiological study

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)