rural clinical/work (1 Viewer)

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
are many people interested in doing rural clinical and/or working in a rural area once they've finished uni?
or is it the metro life for most people?

Riona

Pfeffernuesse?
HSC
I'm considering it as a possibility, up in Taree or even out in Central Australia once I graduate, as an experience for me. I'm also considering going overseas for a year or so, in particular the U.S. but then again I would probably miss the closest people in my life too dearly...

I want to eventually settle down and work on the Central Coast, which is halfway between a rural area and a metropolis I guess. It depends on where you're working in the Central Coast though; some parts are definately considered rural by all standards.

aussiechica7

HSC
i grew up in the inner city of rrma 1 areas... i'm applying for john flynn this yr and planning 2 go 4 the hecs reimbursement scheme when i graduate (work in rural areas). i want 2 work in like rural afghanistan one day so i figure rural australia might be better training for it then some relatively "well-funded" and "well-supported" big city hospital... if i hadn't grown up in the city i'd probably want 2 live there, but i kind of feel like i've "been there, done that... next!"

rozymisty

HSC
Yeah I wouldnt mind doing rural prac. Some of us 3rd years are going to do their 4 wks in a remote/rural hospital, but I dont have the money to get out to those far fetched places. Sure the accomodation is free, but yeah. Plus there are heaps of assignments to do during those 4 wks so unless they had a computer that you could use regularly, it would be difficult.

I might try it for the first rotation of our 8 wk prac next semester. Im so scared of not knowing anything! Like Ive forgotten some skills and stuff coz we havent used them for so long.

I am going to move to Melbourne next year to do my grad program coz im sick of being in Brisbane. I prefer the cold weather!

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
rozymisty said:
Yeah I wouldnt mind doing rural prac. Some of us 3rd years are going to do their 4 wks in a remote/rural hospital, but I dont have the money to get out to those far fetched places. Sure the accomodation is free, but yeah. Plus there are heaps of assignments to do during those 4 wks so unless they had a computer that you could use regularly, it would be difficult.
i did a 3 week prac in rural NSW - the best 3 weeks of my life, i had so much fun. it was basically a 3 week holiday (i mean, really, you don't do much actual work as a student).
find out if there are scholarships, generally there are. i recieved a $500 scholarship from NSW Health because i was a Sydney student doing a prac in NSW.

as for assignments, your tutors will give you extensions because you obviously don't have access to the same resources as people who are in the city.

rozymisty

HSC
Oh, when I was doing education, coz i come from a low income family, I got a scholarship from the Smith Family, and that pays for the uni expenses, certainly very handy for those expensive and heavy med-surg books lol.

I might try and do the rural prac next time. One of my friends who finished 2 yrs ago went up to Mt Isa...i couldnt deal with that heat lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)