Originally posted by bubz :D
yeah ig uess.. but is it really necessary in year seven? O__o
we have that in HK for each subjects since yr1

but no overall..only overall 1st -10th

and thats yr1 in HK in my primary school

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
ahha oh GOD, education in hk/china... doing 2u maths in fifth grade, LOL.... O__o;;
[i'm so glad we moved to australia!]

^___^
HSC
2u maths in 5th grade..haha, yea..

i remember doing algebra in yr3

and long division in yr2

haha, and we learnt that here in high school

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
yeah.... i remember going back to HK in year9, and i was looking through my cousin's maths book (he's two/three years younger than me), and i SWEAR i didn't understand about 75% of it @____@

but yeah, u gotta rmbr that education is very different in HK to australia.... so it's quite harsh that ruse is already ranking their yr7 students....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Originally posted by bubz :D
yeah.... i remember going back to HK in year9, and i was looking through my cousin's maths book (he's two/three years younger than me), and i SWEAR i didn't understand about 75% of it @____@

but yeah, u gotta rmbr that education is very different in HK to australia.... so it's quite harsh that ruse is already ranking their yr7 students....
yer if u keep demotivating them cos they are constantly in the bottom _% then they stop doing well and 'coast' along.. one of my friends went to ruse before me.. he use to kill like every school test and maths comps.. now he seems less than his original potential.. :(

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *girl04*
b4 i visited this forum i didnt really know about james ruse seriously though
I had only heard of it once or twice so youre not alone. But youre a sydney-sider now thats surprising.

Paul Keating

Originally posted by Huy
I wasn't thinking about NS Boys! :rolleyes:

I thought they had nurses in both NSG and NSB High School, so... you know, that's why I said it. ;)
No, I went to NSB. I can assure you that no nurse was employed there!

Paul Keating

I know people that have been to Ruse, both family and friends.

They do so well because they have a 'culture of achievement', that is all students are encouraged to do the best they can. High achievers are not put down or treated as socially inferior as they are in some schools, even other selective schools like the one I went to.

The students accepted into the school in year 7 understand that they are entering a competitive environment and having done well enough to enter Ruse usually do well academically afterwards.

They don't kick students out because they don't perfom. It's a government school where students are selected on merit. If they are kicked out then it is because of disciplinary reasons. This was perhaps a rumour started by some irate students.

The teachers foster high levels of achievement. Students are constantly encouraged and feedback is constant on constructive.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
2u maths in 5th grade..haha, yea..

i remember doing algebra in yr3

and long division in yr2

haha, and we learnt that here in high school
lol yeah, i remember looking through textbooks with such ridiculously hard stuff.

but their english too often is shit, even though it's the other official language.

the majority of english teachers failed some test, showing they can't even teach the subject.

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by mic
lol yeah, i remember looking through textbooks with such ridiculously hard stuff.

but their english too often is shit, even though it's the other official language.

the majority of english teachers failed some test, showing they can't even teach the subject.

haha, i remember getting 33% for my spelling test in HK and somehow i didn't come last..haha

and tehn i came over to australia and forgot all my alphabet...haha.classic!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Paul Keating
They don't kick students out because they don't perfom. It's a government school where students are selected on merit. If they are kicked out then it is because of disciplinary reasons. This was perhaps a rumour started by some irate students.
i don;t know if thats true about ruse, but its certainly not true of other selective schools. coming from st george, i was "asked" several times to leave, or at least recommended to try another school out simply because i hated maths and didnt want to do it. i was literally placed first in my grade in english but it wasnt good enough, they didn't want people who didn't want to do maths. i can imagine students having precisely the same treatment at ruse as i did if not more severe... maybe no one gets "kicked out", but im sure they have their subtle techniques in flushing the people they dont want out of their system

picaresque

HSC
mmmm. not really. quite a few of my friends this year aren't doing maths at all and nothing terrible has happened to them - aside from rubbing their free periods in our face! oh oh, except the p.e teachers! some of them are hell 'if you can't handle the pressure, you should leave!' but they're all bitches anyway.

personally, i don't find the environment too hectic, except when people go so far as to steal maths answers from the library - that's just verging on desperation.

irene adler

there doesn't seem to be any problem with not wanting to do maths for the HSC in ruse, as picaresque said there are people in our grade not doing it and they haven't received any suggestions to leave.

only one person has left my grade - and by his own admission he didn't do any work [ie, no class marks], failed all the exams and his parents agreed to have him change schools. I failed my prelim 3u maths exam [as did others] and we weren't asked/suggested to leave - just do a retest or drop the subject.

but well, ruse is overrated. it does well because of the students, not the teachers imo. it's great for competitiveness if you're good in maths, but if your forte is in other subjects you tend to feel a little irrelevant. >.<

^___^
HSC
i know someone that went to James ruse and she did her hsc like 5or 6yrs ago there..(probably bit less) and she said it was ok not to do maths..

abdooooo!!!

Banned
board of studies did not make math compulsory for a reason... so i don't think a government school is allowed to do anything like kick a student out for not doing math.
Originally posted by picaresque
personally, i don't find the environment too hectic, except when people go so far as to steal maths answers from the library - that's just verging on desperation.
steal maths answers from library... how? so they keep all the answers in the libary, and bunch of desperate ruse kids sneak in at night takes it, memorise and succeed. :D

irene adler

Originally posted by kimmeh
rhapsody in black (a fewllo bos memeber) went to ruse and she didnt do maths at all.. she said they were like :eek: but they got used to it
um...in ruse the teachers/school does not care in the least if you don't do maths. same thing with no science subjects. people seem to think ruse is this place with uber caring teachers where everyone does 4u maths. I mean, seriously, come on, its just a school that starts off with smart kids. it's not like we sit around all day holding hand with our teaching chanting prime numbers in freaking cosmic harmony.

picaresque

HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
steal maths answers from library... how? so they keep all the answers in the libary, and bunch of desperate ruse kids sneak in at night takes it, memorise and succeed. :D
hahahaha. not quite - actually, that would be totally understandable and just the teacher's being stupid. no, it's much much more sad. the textbook solutions (like solved solutions to cambridge etc.) are kept for communal use in the library and someone goes there before every assessment and removes the necessary pages for a certain topic, slipping out of the binder! sneaky. andand they also stash the english study guides in strange and esoteric locations so no one else can find them.

what selfish louts these people are, eh? *shakes head in despair*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)