Safety of Wollongong Area (1 Viewer)

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
kennychan222 said:
My parents are very worried about my security when I live in Wollongong. They said that the people liked to steal people who was very rich. Although i will move to University Accommodation, it's still not very safe because I don't really know whether the students are good or not.
You must be a very rich child, am i wrong??

HSC
Josie said:
What an amusing thread.

Cause you know, it's not like the uni warns people to DON'T REALLY OBVIOUSLY BE CARRYING A LAPTOP IN A SHINY LAPTOP BAG OR WEARING YOUR IPOD WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE IT WALKING DOWN DODGY ROADS LATE AT NIGHT.

Nope, never heard that one at all.

And yes, robberies happen when people walk alone at night carrying obvious valuables.

qft.

/thread.

Marky24

HSC
gong id say 10 times safer than sydney imo I could be wrong correct me if I am

Last edited:

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
kennychan222 said:
As you say that, I am quite worried about it. Is Wollongong really Safe? I should stay at apartment at night
Oh man im suprised uow has accepted you, im getting worried about the future of our uni.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
kennychan222 said:
Why do you think that? The uni. is nice..Is it only Security problem?
i think i shall leave it at that........the future of uow is safe in hands of students like yourself.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
kennychan222 said:
It's as safe as anywhere. Obviously, don't walk around with too many valuables or large amounts of cash... anyone can get robbed at any time. Don't go out late at night alone etc... just use common sense and don't walk around with your ipod hanging out and carrying a laptop, as Josie said.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
kennychan222 said:

*woosh*

thats the sound of this thread going over kennychan's head

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
kennychan222 said:
As you say that, I am quite worried about it. Is Wollongong really Safe? I should stay at apartment at night
lmfao

people like you my friend are a criminals best friend. Please go back to the start of the thread and re-read it about a 1000 times.

The post above you was using SARCASM- a common language technique. Do u seriously believe that kidnappings occur every 22 seconds?? LOL They were being a smart arse! Pulling your leg...etc Welcome to the Australian sense of humour

Plus- If u survived living in China then u will hav no problems surviving in Australia, which i predict would have one millionth of the comparative crime rate

kennychan222

HSC
Cookie182 said:
lmfao

people like you my friend are a criminals best friend. Please go back to the start of the thread and re-read it about a 1000 times.

The post above you was using SARCASM- a common language technique. Do u seriously believe that kidnappings occur every 22 seconds?? LOL They were being a smart arse! Pulling your leg...etc Welcome to the Australian sense of humour

Plus- If u survived living in China then u will hav no problems surviving in Australia, which i predict would have one millionth of the comparative crime rate
So I can live well in Wollongong, can't I?

Besides, Hong Kong and China are different. (Whatever Culture, language and living styles)..Don't mix them! I am not China Mainlander as I can't speak its language (Mandarin), dislike writing and reading in Chinese(Except Calligraphy)....So you can't say "I live in China". Just say " I live in Hong Kong and Australia".

Mainland China is an extremely dangerous place, I will not travel alone. But Hong Kong and Australia are safe place and I regard them as my home countries.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
kennychan222 said:
So I can live well in Wollongong, can't I?

Besides, Hong Kong and China are different. (Whatever Culture, language and living styles)..Don't mix them! I am not China Mainlander as I can't speak its language (Mandarin), dislike writing and reading in Chinese(Except Calligraphy)....So you can't say "I live in China". Just say " I live in Hong Kong and Australia".

Mainland China is an extremely dangerous place, I will not travel alone. But Hong Kong and Australia are safe place and I regard them as my home countries.
My whole point was that your posts reflect a certain "innocence" that everyone here will play on. Possibly it is because your not adjusted to the finer points of the English language (will take a long time), thats okay, but you will find it very hard socially if u dont lose your gullibility here in Australia. People love having a good joke here and you got to be able to detect sarcasm when ppl are using it

other then being the victim of a few jokes im sure u will find Wollonong quite safe. Sure there is the odd crime or too, as in any area, but it is not renowned as a highly dangerous area, particulalry in comparison to parts of Hong Kong or sydney.

Just play street smart, dont wander alone at nite...etc and im sure u wont be kidnapped lol

HSC
Possibly it is because your not adjusted to the finer points of the English language (will take a long time), thats okay, but you will find it very hard socially if u dont lose your gullibility here in Australia.
Sarcasm in any second language, particularly in an ambiguous language such as English on an internet forum is always hard to detect...in the context of the thread it would be exceptionally hard to detect IMO unless English is your first language.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
LaDySmAn said:
ANSWER THIS

IF U CAN ???? :)

Does water in the bathtub really "whirl" in one direction in the Southern
hemisphere and the opposite direction in the Northern hemisphere?
We studied it, no it won't happen unless the flow is over an extremly long period of time. Its a simpsons myth

Evilo

HSC
Josie said:
Cause you know, it's not like the uni warns people to DON'T REALLY OBVIOUSLY BE CARRYING A LAPTOP IN A SHINY LAPTOP BAG OR WEARING YOUR IPOD WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE IT WALKING DOWN DODGY ROADS LATE AT NIGHT.

And yes, robberies happen when people walk alone at night carrying obvious valuables.
+1

this happens everywhere, not just UOW. I have a trick for you, don't draw attention to yourself. Dont carry a laptop bag, dont use ipod heaphones, dont wear that georgio armani scarf.

Slightly related - If you go out at night (and you're a chick) dont dress like a slut then walk home by yourself at 3am in the morning. You're just asking for trouble.

FFS its common sense.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
watatank said:
Sarcasm in any second language, particularly in an ambiguous language such as English on an internet forum is always hard to detect...in the context of the thread it would be exceptionally hard to detect IMO unless English is your first language.
yea thats true

i wasnt trying to have a go at Kenny i was just trying to awaken him to the fact that he might find it hard working out if people are serious or having a go at him when he first comes to Australia. But as you say, its definately much harder to detect sarcasm in a second language when it is posted in writing, in reality i would imagine it would be easier

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
kennychan222 said:
Besides, Hong Kong and China are different.
Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. Therefore, Hong Kong is in China and it's quite correct to say that you come from China, regardless of whether or not you're a mainlander.

But Hong Kong and Australia are safe place and I regard them as my home countries.
Hong Kong is a city (and a Special Administrative Region) in China. It is not a country.

The things you know. :)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
thats only if u include rdl venues in these statistics :p

and most often it is internal staff bashings

Aryanbeauty

HSC
poloktim said:
Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. Therefore, Hong Kong is in China and it's quite correct to say that you come from China, regardless of whether or not you're a mainlander.

Hong Kong is a city (and a Special Administrative Region) in China. It is not a country.

The things you know. :)
That is like telling an australian that you are from Britain because Australia is constitutionally under the British Queen. You must know that Hongkong have separate government parallel to mainland China eventhough the mainland China has sovereignty over Hongkong. They also have separate passports and as such treated differently by the Australian Government than those of mainland chinese on immigration matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)