Save me (1 Viewer)

felix the cat11

Pirate Love
HSC
hey everyone, heres my predicament.

i got into the combined laws program and have accepted finance/law.
im currently working full time but will cut back accordingly to the requirements of my course but the thing is, im going to take a leave of absence after first semester to go overseas for 5 months, so i need to know if im able to do this in the laws program and how many units i have to do to be registered as a full time student. also i have no idea what particular subjects to take to fit my situation. i know this is absolutly vague as it can get but if anyone can help me out with any of my questions id very much appretiate it.

oh and whats the work load like in a combined degree like mine???

cheers

PopcornPixie

i throw popcorn at u! >:)
HSC
Best thing to do is to email (or call) someone in the faculty and ask. They will either let you know, or find out for you. You may be able to defer your first semester, but if you do that you should check in your handbook what courses need what prerequisites.

(eg, you need to do chem1001 before chem1002- so if you miss chem1001 in semester 1, you wont be able to do 1002 as well, resulting in your being a whole year behind instead of half....)

Also, sometimes they will waive prerequisites for you :)

Like I said, email someone in the faculty.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
enrol in your 4 sem1 first year subjects and when you start submit thye forms for leave of absence for sem2. the thing is you will be very limited by the subjects you can do when you come back due to prerequisites.

You faculties combined degree officer would be the place to start, to help you plan your uni career around your overseas trip (is it for study? why not take all of this year off if its not)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
felix the cat11 said:
...how many units i have to do to be registered as a full time student...
"A candidate undertaking a combined law degree program must enrol in courses totalling at least 60 units each year and complete their first degree within four years..." - http://www.newcastle.edu.au/policylibrary/000044.html

felix the cat11 said:
oh and whats the work load like in a combined degree like mine???
The workload for Law isn't too bad for the first three years, so it'd depend on the workload for Finance. I know a few people (4th years now) that have completed a combined Law/Finance degree and worked part-time simultaneously, so it's possible to juggle it all.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
If your working full time then why don't you just defer this year and start in 2008. That way you can continue working and then take your 5 month trip, it seems the most logical course of action.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)