Saxophonists Unite! (1 Viewer)

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
I have a student who picked it up within about 10 months, and was good enough to play in local bands etc. It was amazing--when I started with he she didnt even know what an octave was LOL.
I suppose it took me about a year and a half to get good enough to play locally, and about 3 years to get a bit more serious.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
wow, freak lol.

it also depends on how confidant you are about playing infront of other people, thats never really been a problem for me, but i know alot of people who just FREAK...

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
nondil said:
Yea well, don't most serious trumpeters double on fugel horns for orchestras and stuf??
caus most serious sax players double on everything from a flute to a bas clarinet...
ohhh ok so you mean if you play sax you should be able to play other instruments as well like flute n bass clarinet, etc. yeah?
well, the flugel horn isnt a standard orchestral instrument - they are most often played in brass bands (but only 1 per band) and occasionally big bands - especially in like mellow n slow songs cos the flugel horn has a really dark, and warm sound. So yeah if you can play the trumpet then u can play flugel too cos its exactly the same, it just looks and sounds different. I used to play flugel - it was the best!! I was once the NSW state flugel champion when i was in year 8 :p

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
demosthenes said:
Yeh, i love the saxophone. More than anything. Hey trumpet_geek, what big bands do you play in man?
Um... well i played in my schools big band which was AWSOME except i dont go to school anymore... and recently our brass band formed a big band for this cabaret night and i played in that and that was cool... except it doesnt exist anymore.... this is no good! I am now officially big bandless!!! I played 2nd trumpet - which was ok cos i got to play most of the solos, and my higher register sucks to play lead so yeah ;)

DaRanjed

Where the heck do you find saxophone teachers anyway?

And if I were to buy a sax from a music shop...any tips?
C'mon, you sax pro's.
What's the best sounding sax? How much does it cost averagely?
Is reading sax music the same as piano?

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
DaRanjed said:
Where the heck do you find saxophone teachers anyway?

And if I were to buy a sax from a music shop...any tips?
C'mon, you sax pro's.
What's the best sounding sax? How much does it cost averagely?
Is reading sax music the same as piano?
wow, ur all set on sax playing arn't you!
first what type to you want to play? soprano? alto? tenor? bari?
it all depends on what type of sax, and then how much you are willing to pay for it. caus like all musicial instruments the good ones get REALLY expensive...

reading sax music is different to reading piano, only 1 line in sax music (basically only right hand piano music) caus you can't play chords or do seperate things on the sax. but sax is better :D

@ Trumpet geek: fuguel horn champ in yr 8 nice. i love the fuguel horn, really nice sound i rekon. why'd u stop!? its not expected that sax players double, but ALOT do, mostly on flute or clarinet. i double on clarinet caus its so similar to the sax :)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
haha

well, soprano is the high pitched one. looks kinda like a golden clarinet. nice sound

Alto is the most common, medium size, used alot for jazz (curved bell, common sax)

tenor is slightly bigger than alto, same shape. lower sound, very cool, also used alot in Jazz

Barition sax is the biggest, fattest, meanest sax on the market (cept for mayb bass? i think thats lower.. not sure). need alot of breath to play it lol. very expensive to buy. good for big bands and bass lines.

sounds the hottest? lol i don't think thats much to go by.. :p they all sound hot man, they're SAX'S! lol.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
trumpet geek said:
Um... well i played in my schools big band which was AWSOME except i dont go to school anymore... and recently our brass band formed a big band for this cabaret night and i played in that and that was cool... except it doesnt exist anymore.... this is no good! I am now officially big bandless!!! I played 2nd trumpet - which was ok cos i got to play most of the solos, and my higher register sucks to play lead so yeah ;)
I don't double--i sing a bit but i dont double! I find i can be more serious if i remain commited to one instrument.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
DaRanjed said:
What's the best sounding sax?
Well if i had a lot of money, i would spend it on a selmer mk 6. I love my sax at the moment--a yamaha custom 82Z. Go into Sydney Sax and Woodwind, on Paramatta Road, Annondale, and check out some saxophones. The only way you will find one you like is if u play them.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Hey trumpet geek-- do u know a girl flugel horn player called kaylene milner? she is current NSW flugel champ.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
demosthenes said:
Well if i had a lot of money, i would spend it on a selmer mk 6. I love my sax at the moment--a yamaha custom 82Z. Go into Sydney Sax and Woodwind, on Paramatta Road, Annondale, and check out some saxophones. The only way you will find one you like is if u play them.
mmmmmmmmmmm Selmer Mark 6 mmmmmmm *drools* wish i could get one of them too lol.

yea Sax and woodwind is a very good shop, they'll be able to help you out for buying a sax :)

has anyone been to that sax shop near norton st on paramatta road, near drum city??
whats it like if you have...?

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Yeh, i have been there-->the sax place I think it is called.
Look, it is a good(ish) shop. The sales people are AWESOME and there are some really nice second hand saxes there. I think what lets it down is it sold out to the Taiwanese brand selmer counterfeit saxophones "temby". Do some research on temby saxes and u will see....they really arent that hot.
I stick with sax and woodwind.
Hey, any of u sax players out there, check out www.saxontheweb.net. Prob. the best sax site out there, with a great forum TOTALLY dedicated to the saxophone.
Cheers

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
There is a sax day at the sydney con soon...like mid january....all you sax players must come! we can have a BOS gathering...more info soon

norri

HSC
hmmmm...havent been on in a while and only noticed this today....

demosthenes said:
timyates_87, how long have u played? You seem like the marching band kinda guy to me, or are u into jazz?
luv this comment.....tim doesn't like marching bands that much as i so constantly heard him say at skool in music...lol :)

so yeh i mostly play alto sax but i like to play tenor and soprano when i have the chance to......started piano when i was 5 and picked up sax when i was 7 and now i'm 18...ten years and i still suck....lol....:p

Last edited:

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
ha ha norri....yeh i just thought after looking at tim's avatar that maybe he swung the marching band way...i dunno :D
Hey norri wat bands do u play in?

norri

HSC
well yeh i've been pau marching band since 2001, yeh i was in yr 9...

but yeh other than that i just played in bands and ensembles and stuff at skool and around my area.....and i didn't play in marching band a lot this year coz of hsc....

Last edited:

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
fair enough. so exactly what kinda music do marching bands play? I know ZIP about them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)