Saxophonists Unite! (1 Viewer)

norri

HSC
ummmm stuff.....i guess.....lol

i dunno...all kinds of music i guess....but yeh we mainly played aussie songs and anthems and stuff u no....songs that people know and are easy to pick up....

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
So sax players, what pieces are u doing (or have you done) for your HSC? And music 1, 2, ext?

norri

HSC
well i did for my hsc (music 2 - 2004)

core performance: "Air" for two alto saxes by Paul Stanhope. i was originally going to do "We bOp" by Gerard Brophy but it had vibraphone accompaniment and to tell u the truth it would've taken sooo much time and effort and money for me to get a vibraphone accompanist to play with me so i couldnt' be bothered....i no i'm lazy....and then i was going to play "In Search of Ecstasy" by Matthew Hindson but yeh i decided to do a duet coz both my other pieces were accompanied by piano and i decided i needed something different.
elective 1900-1945: my first piece was "Piece en forme de habanera" by Maurice Ravel. the piece was quite easy which i found allowed me to explore it more and play with more expression...i luved playing this piece.....
and my other piece was the third movement of Darius Milhaud's "Scaramouche" called "Brazileira"....

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
^ cool pieces man.

i think for my Australian piece ill be doing Ignition:positive by Hindson.. but im not sure, might do a clarinet one.. and im def. doing some type of jazz piece(s) for my elective. screw bos not liking jazz haha.

Hey Demosthenes, your going to the sax festival right? monday and tuesday next week? i might be going to that as well..
your a whole heap better than me tho :) still, cant wait. its gonna be awesome

on another note, i borrowed a book from the AMC recently, called 'The High Life And Hard Times of Charlie "Yardbird" Parker'
its realy interesting. great read :)

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
norri said:
well i did for my hsc (music 2 - 2004)

and my other piece was the third movement of Darius Milhaud's "Scaramouche" called "Brazileira"....
Hey, I am doing brazileira too, i decided. How did you go with the runs in the B section? I was going to do petite suite by Hartley, but it is too all over the place lol.
What did u get for your music, Norri?

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
^ Hey Demosthenes, your going to the sax festival right? monday and tuesday next week? i might be going to that as well..
your a whole heap better than me tho :) still, cant wait. its gonna be awesome :)
Shit Tim, thanks for reminding me! What times again....i lost the pamphlet :-I

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
lol. :p ur gonna be there i gather?
my dad faxed the info off today.. so hes got the times.. but ill post them here when he gets home with the info...

norri

HSC
demosthenes said:
Hey, I am doing brazileira too, i decided. How did you go with the runs in the B section? I was going to do petite suite by Hartley, but it is too all over the place lol.
What did u get for your music, Norri?
...yeh i agree...

ummm yeh the runs in the b section i found quite difficult at first...but just practice them slowly and in quaver beats and ur fine....also for this piece get a lot of practice with ur accompanist coz it really helps in this section as well as with the rhythms of the rest of the piece....:D

oh i got 86 music....i was happy with it considering i don't consider myself very strong in performace, musicology or comp (which is my worst) lol :)

spiny norman

HSC
When I was much younger than now I considered playing the trumpet, because I thought it had an awesome name. Then I considered the saxophone, because I thought Clarence Clemons was the man, plus I really liked the sax bit at the end of Walk On The Wild Side by Lou Reed (trivia for you all: that was played by David Bowie's sax teacher).

Instead I ended up playing the bagpipes. Can I create a Bagpipers Unite! thread and await the plethora of posts?

spiny norman

HSC
I'd say so. It took me two years before I could play in public. I've been learning for six years now and am in a Grade Three band (in bagpipes, grades go from four to one, and it is expected my band shall move up to Grade Two soon). Basically the trouble in learning is that while the bagpipe range is quite simple (one octave plus one in the key of D major), a lot of coordination is necessary in that you need to apply constant pressure from your arm onto the bag balanced with the air exerted into the bag, along with actually playing.

Some people would consider it to be simple, and to a large extent it is, but given the amount of energy that goes into playing it I would say it is a difficult instrument. Though very rewarding, especially if you're in a decent band, which I am lucky enough to be (I've played with John Farnham at the ARIAs, but the band has also played with Paul McCartney, AC/DC etc).

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
lol. :p ur gonna be there i gather?
my dad faxed the info off today.. so hes got the times.. but ill post them here when he gets home with the info...
But the closing date is 10/12/04

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
ok. got the info here.. nup, that wasn't the closing date. i emailed the director of the access center. and she sent me the info for it.. they dedicded not to close the entry thigy :)
i registered today and its all good

Day 1 monday 10 Jan, registration at 9:30 am...
same next day as well.. 9:30 is when it all starts :D

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
ohhh don't ask lol. its my century student model that i've had for 7 years now.
havent bought a new one. but im convincing my parents to buy me a new one this year..
cauz the one that im using is SO bad, leaking all over the place, clunky, sticky all that. uh its disgusting...
u? :)

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
ha sounds like my old horn. what mouthpiece?
I play a Yamaha 82Z custom, and have a selmer c* piece and a meyer 7. Wanna buy a metal otto link ASAP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)