Saxophonists Unite! (1 Viewer)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
wow nice horns :)
im using a selmer mouthpiece S-80 i think... its pretty nice. i wanna buy a good jazz mouthpiece soon as well, when i get my new horn i think i might get a jazz mouthpiece as well.
what reeds do u use?
i found some good ones the other day, vandoran zz jazz reeds.. really good sound, cost a bom tho. $5 per reed if you buy a 10pack...gah!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
vandoran zz jazz reeds.. really good sound, cost a bom tho. $5 per reed if you buy a 10pack...gah!
That is so funny! Oboe reeds cost $26 EACH.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
yea yea i know. and i feel really sorry for you. oboe reeds and basson reeds... :(
have you learnt to make them yourself? caus thats what alot of oboists and bassonists do caus the reeds cost SO much... but it would be quite hard.. yes?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Yeah i've been learning myself, but they take ages and a lot of patience and practice

gez

go saxes....:p i've been playin since yr 5 n im in yr 12 now...so that like 6yrs-ish. im doin my hsc this yr on music 1...cos im dumb :p
theres 6 girls in my class n its rockin, 2 pianists, 2 singers n 2 altos. im the bestest....lol...hahahah...i suck...
hi robbie, if in fact that is u

norri

HSC
gez said:
go saxes....:p i've been playin since yr 5 n im in yr 12 now...so that like 6yrs-ish. im doin my hsc this yr on music 1...cos im dumb :p
theres 6 girls in my class n its rockin, 2 pianists, 2 singers n 2 altos. im the bestest....lol...hahahah...i suck...

don't out urself down ok......i can't talk coz i do it all the time...lol :D but yeh just coz ur doing music 1 doesn't mean ur dumb...the two courses are very different from each other and the music 1 course could be better suited for u.....as a person who did music 2 last year......i would only recommend it if you like doing theory work, studying pieces etc.....well not like, who does like it? but don't do music 2 just coz it will bring ur uai up a bit... :)

kibb

HSC
hahahahaaa good on u guys!

go the alto but im also a big fan of mah barry! sooooo much fun to bellow below every1 else!!!! thats the shit!

yer i double on clarinet or oboe if i had 2 but i havnt played either in like 3 yrs... lol!

is ne1 else a fan of vintage horns? i hate the new stuff jus not built the same... im running a conn from bout 1940 - 1950 odd.... its a bloody beautiful instrument in top nick... got it foir a real bargain as well.... neways if ne1 knows where 2 get a decent vintage barry give us a yell...

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
wow vintage horns are nice, don't know jack about them tho.. :( sax on the web forums and webpages have lots of info about buying, selling etc vintage horns try them out: http://www.saxontheweb.net/

i doulble on clari, about same level on both instruments. cept i just play/practice more on my alto. Bari is nice, im quite a big fan of the bari, don't own one tho.. ah well, one day hehe.

kibb

HSC
i dun own a bari... wish i did but they cost a fortune... you looking at approx $10k for a pro level sax... i dun have that much spare cash around atm... ill buy 1 eventually i hope but it depends... wont b for a while...i wud prefer a bass sax cept they cost SOOOOOO much and are really rare and hard 2 find especially in the australia... loads in the US but.

saxyT

HSC
Alto 1st, but Tenor!!

How do each sound...and which do you think sounds the hottest? :)[/QUOTE]

Im an alto player, and occasionally play soprano ( Im looking to buy a curved one if any one has any ideas where i can get a good one for a good price) but i picked up a tenor the other day and I have to say, for Jazz.....WHOA BABy!!!!! it was awesome....im now occasionally swapping with the tenor player in our jazz band. It has this beautiful tone, and add some vibrato and...WOW!!!! beautiful!!!!
Tenor players will def. agree wit me!

kibb

HSC
it depends.... i love my alto, it has a beautiful sound that is real sharp... but the barri has such a sxc rumble down low!!!!!!!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
i dunno....to me, baritones are more of an instrument that you should major in, but every saxophonist should know how to handle one....like the different key structure, the low a etc etc. To me, the baritone verges on being "rhythm section" instrument, whereas there is a lot more you can do with a tenor, alto or soprano.
By the way....this is only for me. People like Ronnie Cuber (who is bloody ripper) prove my above statements wrong (check out Mingus' version of Moanin and listen to the cuber bari cadenza....mmm yeah!)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
i love all sax's and play all of them, tho i only own an alto..
i love my alto sound, tho im planning on getting a new horn at the moment. im just so much more developed on the alto and compared to the other insturments, i know my alto very well and i can get a BIG sound on it... still

anyone here play rock sax? i have recently joined a Dave Matthews like band... should be a good experience, i do like DMB a whole lot so that helps :)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
*YAY*

Im getting a new saxophone :D
Selmer Super Action, vintage, 2nd hand, from 1940's :) sounds awesome, gonna get it re-padded after I buy it, but its great :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)