SC - does it really matter? (1 Viewer)

kijun22

HSC
School Certificate doesn't count towards anything really, starting from UAI marks.
However, these results are good indication of where you stand in NSW and how much do you know your stuff in 6 subjects

Aplus

HSC
N/A
It doesn't really matter if you're going on to Year 11 and 12. The marks are kind of there to make you feel good and proud.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
waste of time. smart kids will band 6 it without even opening a book prior. it serves a purpose, but in terms of future use its pretty irrelevant, since most people who drop out in year 10 go on to do apprenticeships etc where knowing history isnt realy applicable

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Yeah, it's only relevant at all if you drop out, and even then only if there's something applicable.

Still, I like the SC as it sorta gives a feeling of having finished something before you go onto Year 11.

Looking Glass

HSC
It's important insofar that you need to pass it to go on to the HSC. Same deal with Year 11. Ends there. For the School Certificate, though, all this really entails is showing up on the day.

St. Eve

HSC
If you're staying on it counts towards nothing, its nothing to stress or worry about, just read over your stuff for about an hour if you want to do well. It's nothing.

amberangel

Anonymous
HSC
McSpitfire said:
You pretty much answered your own question there :p

When I said I was a bit cut, I meant that in the way that we are like test subjects in a lab, and we're the final batch of subjects to be tested ever.
Uhuh. We think alike. Yay.

No, I'm pretty sure it ends next year - at least our school knows that.

*sighs*

Stayer

HSC
unreal09 said:
I didn't take this year seriously at all, so for me it's not going to truly reflect how I'll cope.

yer i didnt try at all this year and kinda bummed out:bomb:

vicchidgey

HSC
english & computers were the easiest two exams. but i didn't study anyway. sooo whatevs.

HSC
kaz1 said:
i heard that the skool cert will go on for another 2 years or sumthing
My science teacher told my class that its going to continue until 2015.. but who knows.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
2015. Where did he get this information from anyway?

bored of sc

HSC
I would say the school certificate matters to some extent as it is a good indication of skill levels and strengths/weaknesses that could be used for future subject selection. It is also great to see how you compare to the entire state. But, as a number of people have said, it is okay to stuff up; it is merely a kind of stand alone test that often lets the naturally smart and highly skilled people excel.

By the way, what is a 'good mark' - I am in the top maths, english and science classes and I believe for my skill level (moderate) band 5s (hopefully mid-80s) is a fairly good band but band 6 for maths (my strength) ?? I try really hard but often lack important skills and find it hard to grasp certain concepts.

Please reply, thanks y'all...

Oh, it is good for me that I do the school certificate tests as I am already on holidays! Yeah!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
When schools received the information about NAPLAN last year there was a section in the information booklet about the SC and HSC with the NSW BOS saying that NAPLAN would have no impact on either the SC or HSC exams and that they are continuing.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I think that pretty soon they will replace the HSC with a National Exam in order to make the quality of University students at a constant standard throughout the whole country. That's what my tutor said anyway.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I think it's a part of Kevin Rudd's education revolution. I definitely remember him saying something about a national curriculum.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I believe the school certificate is worthless and is completely unimportant. I am under the assumption that anyone willing to go onto this website and/or become a member has every intensions of doing the HSC (Y11/Y12). It only becomes imortant if you want to drop out and do work, then you can put it on your reference.

But as most of us here are going to/are doing the HSC, then i believe that it means nothing. It doesnt decide what classes you go into, or what level, thats what internal assesments are for. Even if you dont do the SC you can still go into year 11! I have read BOS doccumentation dictating that the pricipal can allow you do the HSC within reason if you dont have a SC.

So yeh, dont reckon it means anything.

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
kurt.physics said:
I believe the school certificate is worthless and is completely unimportant. I am under the assumption that anyone willing to go onto this website and/or become a member has every intensions of doing the HSC (Y11/Y12). It only becomes imortant if you want to drop out and do work, then you can put it on your reference.

But as most of us here are going to/are doing the HSC, then i believe that it means nothing. It doesnt decide what classes you go into, or what level, thats what internal assesments are for. Even if you dont do the SC you can still go into year 11! I have read BOS doccumentation dictating that the pricipal can allow you do the HSC within reason if you dont have a SC.

So yeh, dont reckon it means anything.
SC is for ppl who are droping out at the end of yr 10
and when u get ur HSC ur SC doesnt matter.

pointless much

lionking1191

HSC
dwarven said:
SC is for ppl who are droping out at the end of yr 10
and when u get ur HSC ur SC doesnt matter.

pointless much
unless you fail the SC....which takes some doing

Aplus

HSC
N/A
It isn't possible to fail school certificate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)