• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Scaling for hard subjects seems to go down? (1 Viewer)

uncomeringue

HSC
Okay so in Physics, Chem, Maths X1 I was under the impression that at least the top half of the cohort have their raw HSC mark scaled up, but I was just checking out the scaled marks on the UAC website and it looks like that's not the case.

Like in my half yearlies (I know they're not a good indicator of HSC and rarara) I got about 85% in maths X1, 80% in chem, 70% in physics which I though would go alright... so you halve it (because the mark is out of 50 in their stats right?) but when you look at the scaled marks... they go DOWN. Which was a little depressing.

So howcome they don't scale me up? no fair :(

Forgive me if I'm being a complete moron and can't understand the statistics properly!

undalay

HSC
Well firstly we talk about a subjects scale relatively.

So even if chemistry seems to scale down.
The fact that it scales down LESS then another subject, makes it have higher scaling.

That said, each subject has a break even mark, where above that mark u get scaled up, and below that mark you get scaled down.

Chemistry's break even mark for example is about 94.

Don't let this get you down! Just because it seems you get scaled down a couple points for these higher scaling subjects, regular or poorer scaling subjects would probably scale down 10+ points.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
undalay said:

The fact that it scales down LESS then another subject, makes it have higher scaling.

That said, each subject has a break even mark, where above that mark u get scaled up, and below that mark you get scaled down.

Don't let this get you down! Just because it seems you get scaled down a couple points for these higher scaling subjects, regular or poorer scaling subjects would probably scale down 10+ points.
yes! well said. because the UAI is a rank. if they scaled down every course by 10000% its the same as 1%, because the UAI is a relative measure.

so you need to compare the scaled marks to other subjects.. but the actual scaled mark doesn't matter.

runnable

HSC
Pretty much everything except Maths Ext 2 and certain Languages Ext scales down. Essentially, every subject scales down, its just the relative scaling between subjects.

Affinity

HSC
Grade inflation and dumbing down of subjects..

uncomeringue

HSC
undalay said:

Thanks heaps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)