• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Scaling for standard English? (1 Viewer)

Ballinnn

HSC
Hey guys, I'm a year 11 student just wondering about the scaling of standard English and how much it can bring you down. My school just dropped me from Adv ( "recommended") and i was just wondering would i still be able to get a high atar. I'm aiming for (92-95) and my other subjects are 2 unit maths, Geography , Legal studies and Business studies. Any information about scaling concerning these other subjects would be much appreciated. HSC confuses me to the bone..

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Standard is shit!

Don't do it. I regret it. Only about 20 people get a band 6 each year

Ballinnn

HSC
Ahh. its pretty much done. I've tried atar calculators too look at how standard would scale but i think it seems pretty innacurate..

Shadowless

HSC
Standard is shit!

Don't do it. I regret it. Only about 20 people get a band 6 each year
+1

generally this... i wish someone told me earlier but yea... DONT DO IT STICK IN ADVANCED

enoilgam

HSC
Hey guys, I'm a year 11 student just wondering about the scaling of standard English and how much it can bring you down. My school just dropped me from Adv ( "recommended") and i was just wondering would i still be able to get a high atar. I'm aiming for (92-95) and my other subjects are 2 unit maths, Geography , Legal studies and Business studies. Any information about scaling concerning these other subjects would be much appreciated. HSC confuses me to the bone..
Standard can have a pretty detrimental impact on your ATAR because it aligns poorly. Aligning occurs when raw final exam marks are translated into final exam marks. This is why we tell people to avoid the subject. However, you can still get your desired ATAR, you will just have to do really well in standard. Your other subjects are average to above average scalers.

SunnyScience

HSC
Standard scales exactly the same as Advanced.
i.e. a mark of 92 in either standard or Advanced would correspond to an atar of ~97.

However, the alligning of standard is far poorer than advanced. This make is MUCH harder to achieve a 92 in standard than advanced (nearing impossible)

Ballinnn

HSC
What factors affect allignment from the raw mark? Cheers for the help so far. This is more info then my schools given me in the last 5 years.....

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm, having fallen into the standard English trap myself, I've researched this subject a fair bit. The only set of raw marks I was able to find were in their low sixties, with the HSC mark being in the low seventies.

Keeping that in mind, only fifty or so students (0.18%) achieve band sixes. The reason for this being that you're graded at the same level as advanced, while being forced to write about shitty texts that are far more tedious to analyze.

If you still insist on remaining in standard, make sure you're in the top 3 internally or your mark will most likely be <80.

Ballinnn

HSC
Alright thanks! do you know anything about the raw marks needed to get band 6's in my other subjects?

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
2U maths is around 95/120+ for a band six, not sure about the rest.

If you look around the forum I think some guy compiled a huge list of raw marks - HSC marks. You should check it out.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Standard scales exactly the same as Advanced.
i.e. a mark of 92 in either standard or Advanced would correspond to an atar of ~97.

However, the alligning of standard is far poorer than advanced. This make is MUCH harder to achieve a 92 in standard than advanced (nearing impossible)
Only the higher marks scale the same, which are more difficult to get in standard because I the aligning.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm, having fallen into the standard English trap myself, I've researched this subject a fair bit. The only set of raw marks I was able to find were in their low sixties, with the HSC mark being in the low seventies.

Keeping that in mind, only fifty or so students (0.18%) achieve band sixes. The reason for this being that you're graded at the same level as advanced, while being forced to write about shitty texts that are far more tedious to analyze.

If you still insist on remaining in standard, make sure you're in the top 3 internally or your mark will most likely be <80.
You haven't looked very far then. Didn't you see my raw marks?

I agree with everything else written here.

You need like 85+ to get anything worthwhile scaling-wise.

Memento-mori

HSC
Try as hard as you can to get back to Advanced. My brother did standard initally at St. Ignatius, and fought really hard, and got moved up to Advanced. Get notes from your parents, etc. It's your education, you can persist. Getting a band 6 in Standard is so, so, so hard. Advanced is generally more competitive but it does scale better. Of course, your teachers will say that its ''false'' yet its true. If you ever need good reasons to being moved up to Advanced, just say you find it more ''challenging'' or the texts interest you more. I'm pretty much in the bottom 10 in Advanced English, and although I am trying to change that, I know that my cohort all care about their HSC and are very determined and work like tanks. You are still in yr 11, you can make the change. Do it as quickly as you can.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
You haven't looked very far then. Didn't you see my raw marks?

I agree with everything else written here.

You need like 85+ to get anything worthwhile scaling-wise.
This was around August of last year, lol.

Ballinnn

HSC
LOL tbh, standard doesn't look so bad. Coming first in the grade seems realistically and apparently ranking doesn't necessarily play a huge role in your final mark...

loapowm

Banned
HSC
LOL tbh, standard doesn't look so bad. Coming first in the grade seems realistically and apparently ranking doesn't necessarily play a huge role in your final mark...
Umm..Ranks are everything

In my school most of standard gets a band 4. And a few students get a band 5. If that tradition stays I am happy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)