• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Scaling for standard English? (1 Viewer)

Ballinnn

HSC
Um... my cousin was given 55 from her school as her mark. ( funnily enough thats what she got in the trial) she ended up getting 84 in the exam and was scaled up with her final mark a Band 5...

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Um... my cousin was given 55 from her school as her mark. ( funnily enough thats what she got in the trial) she ended up getting 84 in the exam and was scaled up with her final mark a Band 5...
Do you even know how marks are calculated?

Obviously she went to a good school where everyone above her did well

Ballinnn

HSC
Well I have a vague knowledge... but her school is probably around the 70's on rankings...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL tbh, standard doesn't look so bad. Coming first in the grade seems realistically and apparently ranking doesn't necessarily play a huge role in your final mark...
stop dat

stop please

HSC
Hahaha, I was told my marks were average, as was everyone elses and recommended anyone who hasn't performed well to go down BUT I stayed because I knew that Standard rapes your ATAR after reading many comments on BOS and talking to other HSC students....

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Bro standard is almost equivalent as advanced in terms of scaling. Chill out, just do the best you can.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I'm a year 11 student just wondering about the scaling of standard English and how much it can bring you down. My school just dropped me from Adv ( "recommended") and i was just wondering would i still be able to get a high atar. I'm aiming for (92-95) and my other subjects are 2 unit maths, Geography , Legal studies and Business studies. Any information about scaling concerning these other subjects would be much appreciated. HSC confuses me to the bone..
It'll be very difficult to get 95 with those subjects. Doable though. Standard is the absolute killer.

Ballinnn

HSC
Do you know what type of raw marks I would need to get a Atar like that ? I also do one unit of religion ....

I've looked at the raw marks provided to me already but they confuse me

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Bro standard is almost equivalent as advanced in terms of scaling. Chill out, just do the best you can.
No its actually not. Standard has horrible scaling. Even ESL scales SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Last edited:

Sindivyn

HSC
?

The scaling graph on that website seems to prove my point
It shows you need to do well in standard to get decent scaled marks. I'm still unsure if it's the aligning or the candidature that plays the bigger role (the standard cohort wont be that strong). Guess I'll find out this year.

lm199

HSC
aligning is not scaling lol.... the ATAR is your place within the state and you do not have to do the "highest scaling" subjects as it changes each year anyway. i do standard and like it :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The aligning is what's terrible..you have to be like the top <1% to get a band 6. Not even that many percentage get a band 5...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)