Scaling Issues (1 Viewer)

Emph

HSC
Ok so I might have this all wrong... I don't quite understand the whole scaling issue but hear me out anyway.

From what I have picked up from friends and teachers, at the moment we are competing for rankings so all work should be done on our own so we have the best chance of gaining the best ranking. After trials when all rankings are finalised is when we should start swapping notes and stuff to help each other get the best marks. When we do the HSC, if your internal rannking was #3, then no matter what you individually perform on the actual HSC, you will get the 3rd mark from your school despite whether you actually come 1st or 10th... within reason. Am I sort of on the right track? Any who....

Well what happens with Extension Two English? Is it the same? But this seems sort of unfair if it is the case. Hypothetically, what if I got a really bad internal mark but a really good story, do I still get the mark from the crappiest story in my grade?

Or, is each story marked on its own merit so if my hypothetical story is worth 48, then I get 48 despite my hypothetical internal mark of 15?

For example, at the moment people in my grade are swapping stories for each other to mark. But if like all other subjects we are supposed to be competing for ranks, then editing everyone else's story to make them better is probably not a good idea, eh? Or if as I hope and the stories are marked on their own merit, then of course I want my friends to do well so I should really try to help them.

So... what's the story? Any one?

xxflauntitxx

HSC
ok for extension 2, my understanding is that its completely different from other subjects. your internal mark doesnt have any effect whtsoever on your actual major work outcome (just quietly thank god). if you got crappy internal marks but have a brilliant story (and dont forget your reflection statement that goes in with that has to be perfect too otherwise you wont get full marks no matter how good your story is), then you still have every chance of getting full marks for your story. the internal mark makes a difference when it is halved (so its out of fifty not a hundred) and added to the mark out of fifty you got for your internal mark...which makes up your overall course mark. so i hope that helped a bit and good luck :) xx

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Scaling in EE2 is basically the same as every other HSC course - just switch HSC exam marks with Major work marks.

So for your 'external' mark, you get the mark of your own mw submission. For your 'internal' mark, you get the mark of the work that corresponds to your ranking. Your final course mark (which is what is submitted to UAC in its raw state) will be the average of these two marks.

Emph

HSC
kami said:
So for your 'external' mark, you get the mark of your own mw submission. For your 'internal' mark, you get the mark of the work that corresponds to your ranking.
Huh... have you got that the right way round?

For any subject, I thought that my school assesment marks were my own and they would determine which result I get for the external examiniation. So for example I am internally ranked 5th so I get the 5th external mark from my school.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
no you keep your internal rank i'm pretty sure

btw hi 2 u em :waves:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Emph said:
Huh... have you got that the right way round?

For any subject, I thought that my school assesment marks were my own and they would determine which result I get for the external examiniation. So for example I am internally ranked 5th so I get the 5th external mark from my school.
Thats pretty much what I said.:)

The 5th 'external' mark would thus become your internal, whereas your external would always be what you got for your mw/exam.
bobness said:
hmmm then say someone ranks average in their school but the 'average' mark for the school is say a round 45. but the hsc markers believe your work is 50 material. would it then be the average of 45 and 50 i.e. 48 - rounded up from 47.5?
Bingo.;)

As far as more major discrepancies, Ragerunner has made more indepth posts in the UAI forum. All that must be remembered is that at the end of the day, EE2 is not that different in terms of scaling to other courses.

Emph

HSC
kami said:
Thats pretty much what I said.:)

The 5th 'external' mark would thus become your internal, whereas your external would always be what you got for your mw/exam.
Well I must just be reading wrong because from where I stand you still look confused. Maybe it makes sense in your head but not in mine. :)

Scorch

HSC
That's kind of good I guess. I absolutely despised doing the internal assessments, and got a mark of 32. I'm pretty confident of a 40's mark for my MW tho. So if there's like a 10-15 mark difference my school mark will be pulled up?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
yes it does moderate up but ...

aren't you in year 11? =/

HSC
N/A
^ he might be an accelerant, we've had a number of Yr 11 students do EE2 in their preliminary year :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
that is awesome..

but wth. that means you'd have to do english adv and ee1 for prelim too doesn't it?

kudos to scorch :uhhuh:

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
For most subjects, you don't want idiots in your grade. UAI is a blessing for people who do great all year, but a curse for those who bloom at the HSC.

So basically, of you came last in your class in assessment, then you are going to get the moderated mark that sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)