Scaling prelim subs (1 Viewer)

lavagirl

HSC
I'm in year 11 and I am an average student but I'm willing to go to University and I'm aiming very high. Probably above 85 for my ATAR. BUT I don't think my subjects and subjects will get me there. And I CAN'T DROP or pick up any subjects which is bullshit because my school is tight and yea. Here are my subjects and the results I have received so far this year:

Standard Eng - 76%
2Unit Math - 70%
Biology - (still being received)
Business Studies - 86%
Economics - 93%
Hospitality - (still being received)

They're all 2unit subjects and I want to drop Hospitality but Biology is my weakness and I don't wanna stuff up my HSC. Any suggestions on what I should/could do? AND which subjects scale you down and up?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
What are your ranks and how many people in each course?

Just do the subjects that you like, you are most likely to do better in them. There's no point doing 4u maths if you're going to get a band 1 for example.

Gigacube

HSC
You'll need to work on standard English by practising a lot. It's harder to get a higher mark in standard than advanced because of the aligning but it is still possible to get a band 6 in standard English. A few people on here have achieved that.

Looks like you're doing great in economics & business studies.

Do you know what you would like to study at Uni? UNSW, UTS & UOW have bonus points schemes so you should have a look into that. There's also regional bonus schemes which gives you 3 extra points on top of your ATAR.

You should pick subjects that you enjoy doing because you'll be more willing to study for them & have more motivation.

lavagirl

HSC
I'm not quite sure what my ranks are for all of them. But economics I came 2nd out of like 30 people or less. Business has around 4 classes and I'm unsure of my rank. Maths I came 42 out of 140 ish people? And standard English I am not so sure but there's alot of people doing English standard :S

Yea I understand economics and business. I don't think biology marks will be good but I chose it because of the lines and all. It was the best on the line. I also didn't choose adv English because I hate Shakespeare. But do you know what and how much I'd get scaled up or down if I continued to work like this for standard English?

And in uni, I'm thinking of studying a course that's more on the business side of things but I'm not 100% sure. It's so hard making a decision now.
I kinda wanted to be a teacher too, but I don't know yet. Depends on how good my atar is.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
I'm not sure about English standard. You might want to ask on the ATAR forum about that.

Don't rush your decisions. You have plenty of time to decide what to do but it's just nice to get an idea of what your options are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)