scaling (1 Viewer)

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
I came 1st in my class overall and got a mark of 85, but my teacher scaled it and she told us. She said she would scale it to what she thought we would get in our exam. And she was very conifdant i would get a band 6. So with that data what raw mark do you reckon i would need for an overall scaled band 6 at the end of the processes of scalling and HSCing(whatever)???

UrielDevil

HSC
Yeah, I go to a selective high school so they mark us much harder in our exams. The teachers claim something like if we only get, say, 53% (a fail) for an assessment mark but 80% in the HSC, then UAC or BOS or whoever think that our school misjudged our capability so we're scaled up.

I have no idea if that's actually how it works, but that's what I'm told.

Irskin

HSC
Damn that paper was too easy! I got 97 raw in my trial and i thought it was a harder exam than this. Im worried that the state average will be too high and there wont be much separation between the good biology students and the outstanding ones. Hence, if u made a few silly mistakes it could hurt u bad.

hsc=suicide

HSC
Irskin said:
Damn that paper was too easy! I got 97 raw in my trial and i thought it was a harder exam than this. Im worried that the state average will be too high and there wont be much separation between the good biology students and the outstanding ones. Hence, if u made a few silly mistakes it could hurt u bad.

thanks. ever so much. thats just a wonderful thought.

Tim035

HSC
ARGHH HOW MANY POSTS MUST I READ A DAY WHICH JUST TURN INTO EGO CONTESTS BETWEEN WHOSE SMARTER OR GOES TO A BETTER SCHOOL OR IS GOING TO GET SCALED/ALIGNED/HANDED THEIR (insert subjects mark) IN A GOLDEN ENVELOPE BECAUSE THEIR SOO GOOD AT IT !!

Sandez

Hay Guys
HSC
Tim035 said:
ARGHH HOW MANY POSTS MUST I READ A DAY WHICH JUST TURN INTO EGO CONTESTS BETWEEN WHOSE SMARTER OR GOES TO A BETTER SCHOOL OR IS GOING TO GET SCALED/ALIGNED/HANDED THEIR (insert subjects mark) IN A GOLDEN ENVELOPE BECAUSE THEIR SOO GOOD AT IT !!
QF Dramatic reading.

Come Thursday, my sultry tones will rock BoS.

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
but as long as u have a good position ie top ten and ur school assessment mark is good ie above 80 then yoy have nothing to worry about coz they will scale it up
plus the fact that state wise the pper was really hard
even my bio teacher who has been marking bio hsc 4 the past 6 yrs says this is the hardest one
thus it will have a good to high scaling

H

housemouse

The people in this thread dont seem to know how the system works.

hsc=suicide

HSC
housemouse said:
The people in this thread dont seem to know how the system works.
ofcourse not. else we wouldnt be having this pointless arguement. lol whether we crack the code of how it works or not, we will still be handed our HSC marks and UAI, even if they are a day apart :S.
i just hope i get 83+ UAI

tadros

HSC
theres no point in scaling your marks at school coz if they scale you up and in the hsc you do worse against the state that mark will get bought down anyway and vise versa

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
simplistic said:
but as long as u have a good position ie top ten and ur school assessment mark is good ie above 80 then yoy have nothing to worry about coz they will scale it up
plus the fact that state wise the pper was really hard
even my bio teacher who has been marking bio hsc 4 the past 6 yrs says this is the hardest one
thus it will have a good to high scaling
Thats wrong. The mark the school gives you doesnt mean anything because it will be altered according to how the school performs in the subject in the external hsc. If a school ranked 300th makes easier exams and they have a school average of 80 and achieve and average of 60 in the external hsc, then all the school assessment marks will be changed in order to achieve an average of 60 and hence all the marks will go down with he same ranks intact.

The marks the school gives to the bos dont mean anything at all, the rank is what counts and how the whole school does in the external HSC. And even having said that been high ranked in a school that doesnt perform well also doesnt mean that the person will do well.

Tim035

HSC
I go to a crap school, but I'm ranked 1st by ALOT so school shouldn't affect me... I think

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
Tim035 said:
I go to a crap school, but I'm ranked 1st by ALOT so school shouldn't affect me... I think
if your ranked 1 in a crap school then it wont affect you, because your school assessment mark will be equal to whatever you achieve in the hsc externally

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If his raw exam mark is 100, then his reported exam mark will be 100. This won't change. This will then be combined with his school assessment mark (which will be similar to the second highest exam mark in his school since he is ranked second) to give him a final HSC mark.

Please note that aligning is different to scaling.

Aligning is when HSC examiners modify your raw exam mark to give you a reported exam mark on your report.

Scaling is when UAC modify your final HSC mark to a scaled mark, which you won't find out. This mark will contribute to your UAI calculation.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Could I ask,

what if i am ranked atrociously. Like last. But did spectacularly in the HSC exam, like coming first?

What should i expect? How does it work. My school is also ranked in the top 5.

thanks

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
shimmy&shine said:
Could I ask,

what if i am ranked atrociously. Like last. But did spectacularly in the HSC exam, like coming first?

What should i expect? How does it work. My school is also ranked in the top 5.

thanks
In that case, you will receive your own exam mark as the HSC exam mark, and the lowest exam mark from your school to become your school assessment mark.

e.g.
You came first in the HSC exam with a mark of 95.
Your ranking in the school is last.
The lowest exam mark from your school is 60 (from whoever)

Then
Your reported HSC exam mark will be 95
Your Assessment mark will be 60
Your Final HSC mark will then be 78

shimmy&shine

HSC
ah, ok. well I'm not coming last, so that's good.

but i just detest the thought of someone else getting my fantastic mark (if i got one, of course, ;p)

-madelen-

HSC
i got 95 in my trials and i was first in biology, how about if i didnt do so well in the hsc..what happens??

Biz

HSC
Well i only have 5 people in my bio class....so not much competition there, really dont know how ill go compared to every in the state

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)