Scaling (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
hi

unfortunately i havent got my first set of hsc assessment results to help out on this one but....

could someone please tell me if my subjects are good scaling subjects for a good UAI also, if i do bad in any of the subjects (touch wood) which ones will bring the UAI down

i do:

Biology
Business Studies
English (advanced)
English Extension 1
General Mathematics
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion 1 unit

it would be great if i could get some feedback

Last edited:

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
hey... legal studies aint an easy subject,.... it shuld b scaling good

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Originally posted by SKA
hey... legal studies aint an easy subject,.... it shuld b scaling good

yeah, that sucks. its one of the harder subjects im doing... a lot of info to remember, a lot of work to do. i should be fine though, its also one of my best, but that sucks about the scaling :mad:

Winston

HSC
i just wanna make note that doing alot of subjects and worrying if they scale well isn't the positive move, from the looks of things and friend doing 4 unit maths and 3 unit maths and other extension subjects thinking that scaling will kick them into the 90's well they were shocked not getting the 90's, it's all in all how well you perform in the final exam and your ranks internally if you'r in the top 10 for all your subjects and get a few band 5's and 2 - 3 band 6's then you can even get away doing just 5 subjects, i did quite good for myself well i didnt hit the 90s but i got into the mid 80's and it was very good considering none of my subjects scaled fantastic like mathematics was the highest scaling subject of mine, but with my hsc marks i just hit into the good range, so think about it and look at 2003'ers performance marks, i myself only recieved 3 band 5's and 2 band 4's doing 5 subjects and didnt stress myself out and got a uai of 84.45, and i beat quite a few friends doing 4 unit maths and also some other extension people.

Last edited:

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
ok ive got the shits now... legal is the only subject im good in n its supposed to b hard!!
grrr stupid scaling crap

Rahul

Dead Member
if you are good at memorising, then sor, eng adv, ext eng to an extent and bio could be good for you. :)

if you are good at legal, then you will get good marks in it.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
well jen atleast the majority of ur subjects are 'academic' subject so they scaling good
these are my subjects:

eng(standard)
math (general)
spanish cont.
business services administration(VET)
legal studies
catholic studies (non uai)

there
im sure that will make u feel better... jejejeje:rolleyes:

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
ouch... you can't really afford to stuff up much.

hell i know that...lucky u can get into uni wen ur 21 lol

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by SKA
well jen atleast the majority of ur subjects are 'academic' subject so they scaling good
these are my subjects:

eng(standard)
math (general)
spanish cont.
business services administration(VET)
legal studies
catholic studies (non uai)

there
im sure that will make u feel better... jejejeje:rolleyes:
i only had like 1 subject advantaged over than u which is mathematics instead of general other than that my subjects is around the same and i did pretty good for my UAI with shit scalers

eng std
maths
sdd
IT VET
Food tech
catholic studies

:p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Benno
that VET will fuck u up bad

Not if you do good in it

Originally posted by SKA
u must have got top marks den!!!
which i wont get

not really i'll tell you my marks and ranks and my UAI

eng std 35/196
maths 11/70
SDD 1/8
IT 4/50 (Note rank for IT wasn't counted just a backup for misadventure, not sure i think it applies to all category B VET Courses, basically the final exam is the most important)
Food tech 12/70

HSC Marks

eng std 76
maths 84
sdd 87
IT 85
Food tech 79

UAI: 84.45

see i didn't do extremely well, i fink it was becoz i was watching australian idol lol rather than studying doh! :p

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by Benno
that VET will fuck u up bad

yeh well lucky vet aint compulsory for the HSC!!!!!
n bsides i been told if u do alright it duznt fuck it... its wether to take the risk or not

not really i'll tell you my marks and ranks and my UAI

eng std 35/196
maths 11/70
SDD 1/8
IT 4/50 (Note rank for IT wasn't counted just a backup for misadventure, not sure i think it applies to all category B VET Courses, basically the final exam is the most important)
Food tech 12/70

HSC Marks

eng std 76
maths 84
sdd 87
IT 85
Food tech 79

UAI: 84.45

see i didn't do extremely well, i fink it was becoz i was watching australian idol lol rather than studying doh! :p [/B][/QUOTE]

nah u dun good thou

i find it strange thou... my sis done

(std) eng
(gen) math
music
catholic studies
spanish cont.
legal studies

she got 70's n low 80's n her uai was 49. sumfing

thats why i dun understand

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
to jennifer: don't get too concerned about scaling. if you do well in a 'poorly scaled' subject, you will not be unfairly disadvantaged. furthermore, scaling changes from year to year. from wot i can see, bus studies was scaled quite well this year, while latin got scaled crap, but i guess the latter is because of its small candidature, so a drop in overall quality can have a large impact. also, don't its not good to overly relax and think that scaling will hold u up, cos it doesn't always work like that. i think its better to work consistently in a subject that u enjoy, than a supposedly higher scaling subject that u hate! u'll prbly find that u will get better results this way.

conclusion: don't stress about scaling, cos its meant to make everything fairer. just concentrate on doing well in your particular courses, since the new hsc is now standards based, so u get wot u deserve, and how everyone else does, should theoretically have no impact on wot mark you get. if you can do that, then i see no reason why u won't do well next year! :)

Benno

HSC
and what do u class as doin well in "poor scaling subjects"?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
something like legal studies, or bus studies, or like visual arts. things like that, which don't attract massive scaling like 4u maths.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I can't really give new info, but just reiterate a good point: don't focus on the scaling of individual subjects, focus on your abilities in each course.

There's really no point in doing a 'better scaling' subject if you are going to perform 10-20 marks lower in your HSC.. it most likely won't even out.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
hi

unfortunately i havent got my first set of hsc assessment results to help out on this one but....

could someone please tell me if my subjects are good scaling subjects for a good UAI also, if i do bad in any of the subjects (touch wood) which ones will bring the UAI down

i do:

Biology
Business Studies
English (advanced)
English Extension 1
General Mathematics
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion 1 unit

it would be great if i could get some feedback

jennifer, u can disregard general maths becoz u have 12 units and they only need 10 units.....i stuffed up in general.....got 76 but lucky it wasnt counted!
the rest of ur subjects have decent scaling, dont worry too much about legal becoz if u manage a band 6 than legal cant hurt ur uai.....u said legal was ur better subjects so getting a band 6 will be easy for u!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)