Scaling (1 Viewer)

aqwerty13402

HSC
PLEASE do not pick your subjects because of this idea of 'better scaling.'

[INCORRECT INFO] (SORRY ABOUT THAT LOL)

That is why it is SO IMPORTANT that you don't pick your subjects based on scaling. Because in the situation above, you're more likely to do better in the subject you have more of an interest in, meaning you'll score better and have a better contribution to your ATAR.

Last edited:

jonolad69

HSC

A HSC mark of 86 in PHYSICS scales to a 92. A HSC mark of 88 in ECONOMICS scales to a 92. What that means is that the effort to get an 86 in Physics, is the same effort that is needed to get an 88 in economics. So, yes, while a mark in Physics will get you a higher ATAR contribution, you can get the same mark with the same effort in Eco.
source?

im pretty sure that isn't accurate....

kkk579

hello
HSC
Aight so which scales better cos imo as of now eco is easier for me to pick up and i dont rlly enjoy physics that much and i dont think ill be that good at it either tbh. However i thought id be better at physics so i havent been paying attention in eco lessons (deadass js been doing maths), however that seems to not be the case now. Also eco is kinda interesting

kkk579

hello
HSC
Ik to not pick subjexts based on acaling i js asked out of pure curiosity lol cos some websites said eco scales better and others said physics

Chiprr

HSC
I had a teacher show me the scaling graphs based on HSC score to atar contributions and an 88 in eco gave a 95.2 atar contribution, whereas an 88 in physics gave a 95.5 atar contribution. Just depends upon your interests I guess and which one you could sustain for longer and study for better

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC

A HSC mark of 86 in PHYSICS scales to a 92. A HSC mark of 88 in ECONOMICS scales to a 92. What that means is that the effort to get an 86 in Physics, is the same effort that is needed to get an 88 in economics. So, yes, while a mark in Physics will get you a higher ATAR contribution, you can get the same mark with the same effort in Eco.

That is why it is SO IMPORTANT that you don't pick your subjects based on scaling. Because in the situation above, you're more likely to do better in the subject you have more of an interest in, meaning you'll score better and have a better contribution to your ATAR.
bro you're talking about 'alignment' here. scaling is different to alignment.
alignment can change alot year on year but scaling is consistent.
to answer the original question, physics scales marginally better, but they pretty much the same.

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Aight so which scales better cos imo as of now eco is easier for me to pick up and i dont rlly enjoy physics that much and i dont think ill be that good at it either tbh. However i thought id be better at physics so i havent been paying attention in eco lessons (deadass js been doing maths), however that seems to not be the case now. Also eco is kinda interesting
by the sounds of it, pick eco over physics

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
yeah if you don't enjoy it that much maybe not i would put in equal effort and do math later LMAO
Did you do economics? How was it in y11 compared to y12?
y11 is easier, but less interesting, y12 is harder but more interesting

just make sure you get a good teacher or something lol

kkk579

hello
HSC
yeah if you don't enjoy it that much maybe not i would put in equal effort and do math later LMAO

y11 is easier, but less interesting, y12 is harder but more interesting

just make sure you get a good teacher or something lol
My school teacher not too great tbh, do yk if crest+ is any good?

Armon

HSC

Scaling is an important thing to consider during subject selection. theres a reason why the majority of students who get a 99.95 did the exact same ten units of 4u, engadv, chemistry, and physics, (the so-called "Asian 5") which is that they are the optimal scalers, and the majority of students who got a 99+ did some combination of 4u, engadv, chem, phys, bio, eco, latin or any of the other top tier scalers.

Of course, you need to be pragmatic and evaluate your strengths and options. I had to pick modern because my school did not have a physics, eco, or latin teacher and I really disliked biology, and even though I really excelled in modern and found it super interesting and got a great mark in it, the scaling did negatively affect me in terms of atar contribution despite having the same mark in modern as 4u and chem 🤷‍♂️

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)