Scalings in half yearlies (1 Viewer)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
The top 10 in Adv. Eng have had their marks scaled up by 10-15%. They did this last year, for the top 5, but that was at the end of the year so that students could qualify for academic excellence- or something of the sort- certificates as the exams were pretty difficult throughout the year, the highest mark being in the very low 80s.

Common sense tells me that the inflated marks are only for the half yearly report, for whatever reason, but it's bothering me since if they're being carried over it's going to be impossible to get back into the top5.

Basically, can anyone fill me in on the official 'rules' concerning something like this?

Ta

(kind of assumed this is the correct place to post this)

runnable

HSC
Did everyone get scaled, but just not by 10-15%? Cuz this might be due to the standard deviation thing of scaling.

If not everyone got scaled, i think its very much against the rules to do this.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If it's ust the top 10, then thats illegal.

Scaling applies to all students (well it should) with the mean (often) being 80.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
that's pretty stupid ..scaling in the half yearlies. my school just put the weighted average mark that you received in the half and yearly report.

and then they sometimes appreciate/depreciate marks in accordance to how they thinkyour gonna do when tehy send i to the boS

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
i agree you don't get 'scaling' in your half yearlys. scaling doesn't even happen until they determine your UAI which is after you complete your HSC. also they don't 'scale' your HSC marks... maybe you are refering to moderation?!? either way you can't actually put a number on it.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Rhanoct said:
Nope, just the top 10.
wow. thats bad. that very unfair. and thats illegal and against the Boards policies. the school can adjust marks, but they must adjust everones mark. and what you have described does not ensure that rank order and relative differences is conservered.

complain to your assessment coordinator. if you are still not happy with that, then there isn't much you can do until after the hsc exams, only then can you put in an official complaint to the school and then board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)