• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Scared that I won't get into course! (1 Viewer)

oct25

HSC
Hey ,

I've been reading BOS for while now but I'm really worried so I made an account to look for some help.

I finished the HSC in 08' with a UAI of 90.25

I began my science degree at UNSW in 09, but halfway through the semester, hypochondria (health anxiety) kicked in after the death of a close friend from cancer. It was unbelievable, I started googling every small change in my body and thought I was going to die. For example, my gums would bleed when I brushed my teeth and I would be convinced that I had leukemia.

Anyway, I ended up failing that semester, and quit my degree right afterwards, way too depressed to go on. This continued until I finally revealed everything to my family and they helped me to overcome it and realise that I have to live for today, not constantly worrying about my health.

Now I'm really looking forward to entering uni again!

I've applied through UAC and would like to get into economics at either UNSW or USyd. I've heard that both these unis don't take account my uni marks if I've done less than 1 year of full time study.

However, I've just been worrying lately that despite saying that, they'll still look at my uni marks just because of the fact that they are fails. (I had to declare all previous studies in my UAC application).

The fact that I didn't get a december round (early round) offer really scared me because if they only took my UAI I should've gotten an offer :cry:.

I didn't go to a psychologist or professional to overcome my hypochondria, so I have no proof that it was the reason behind my poor marks. If they think I'm an idiot just because of a single semester that was poor, they won't accept me.

Am I right to be worrying? What would be the best thing for me to do at the moment? Should I write a letter or something to the unis? It just seems really daunting because unis seem so impersonal. If I write a letter they'll just read it and throw it out (at least that's what I tell myself).

Main round comes out mid January so I'm getting panic'ky.

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated!!!

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Unless you're a rural student or mature age student then early round isn't for you. Be patient and wait for the main round.
Plus uni don't lie.

oct25

HSC
Unless you're a rural student or mature age student then early round isn't for you. Be patient and wait for the main round.
Plus uni don't lie.
Thanks, im still anxiously waiting.

And although unsw say they only take the better of the 2 marks, they also say that they have the right to view my entire academic record. That's what worries me!

rowdyroddy

HSC
i would probably go for an interview or something and explain what happened and why you got bad marks

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
You'll be fine, provided hte cutoffs are less than/reasonably close to your UAI. At the end of the day you haven't completed a full years worth and they won't count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)