• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Schapelle Corby: Innocent or Guilty- Your final verdict (3 Viewers)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
bigboyjames said:
srsly, does anybosy give a shit about this corby chick. i dont give a fuck.
I enjoy it as a moral fable on the perils of trying to manipulate the media. The family's are architects of their own spectacular downfall.

wagga

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
I can't. The whole world has got it wrong. The fact most countries dispense with the presumption of innocence when drugs are involved does not make it right.

Ummm, she shouldn't have to produce a shred of evidence to prove a negative. The onus should be on the prosecution to prove conclusively that she is guilty. Which they have not done. A conviction can only be secured by creating an exception to the law that changes the burden of proof.
You are obviously not going to come across to my point of view and I am certainly not going to agree with you, so this is somewhat pointless. However, I will reiterate that you are responsible for what is in your bag when you take it through customs, and no one doubts she admitted the bag was hers. The prosecution proved she carried a bag containing 4kg of weed through customs, which is illegal.

Again, by all means feel free to provide an example of people smuggling any goods, not just drugs, in similar circumstances in a liberal democracy and being found not guilty.

zimmerman8k said:
Why demonize the dealers? They are entrapenuers selling a product that consumers demand.
Because you can't dissociate the suppliers of a good from the consumption of the good. See the pokie example below.

zimmerman8k said:
Causation of psychosis is not proven and the lung disease causing factors can be eliminated by ingestion and new technologies that allow the drug to be vaporized. These technologies could be much more widespread if the drug was legalised.

But even if we accept marijuana has adverse health effects, how do you differentiate it from my examples of alcohol and tobacco sufficiently to justify criminalization?
Different issue, I agree marijuana isn't the most harmful drug and there are probably better things to waste time upon. I also agree that alcohol and tobacco abuse are greater issues, and I would also add that a lot of that has to do with their widespread availability.

Still, apart from pain relief in the terminally ill, I can't see how marijuana consumption benefits the community at large...

zimmerman8k said:
They don't force people to play pokies and they do put money back into the community. Am I missing something?
I personally would argue that the social costs of pokies far exceed the benefits they give, and that saying you don't force an addict to consume the object of their addiction is somewhat absurd. But again, we are straying off topic.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
She's guilty, but I'm so completely over the media coverage. It's all these do-gooders who are like, human rights, human rights, human rights! Which is all very well, but anyone who commits a crime that can affect as many people's lives as drug smuggling does well deserves to be put away in less than adequate conditions for a long, long time.

Come on these people who keep protesting at every turn (and not just Corby--what about the Bali Nine and Van Nguyen?) everyone else thinks you're a bloody fool for wasting your time and breath when you know perfectly well nothing will come of it. Professional protestors and the media should be shot.

HSC
lala2 said:
She's guilty, but I'm so completely over the media coverage. It's all these do-gooders who are like, human rights, human rights, human rights! Which is all very well, but anyone who commits a crime that can affect as many people's lives as drug smuggling does well deserves to be put away in less than adequate conditions for a long, long time.

Come on these people who keep protesting at every turn (and not just Corby--what about the Bali Nine and Van Nguyen?) everyone else thinks you're a bloody fool for wasting your time and breath when you know perfectly well nothing will come of it. Professional protestors and the media should be shot.
Mate, I second every single thing you've said. What I found EXTREMELY insulting was when we had a 1 minute fucking silence for Van Nguyen at the time of his execution!

WTF!! I couldn't be quite. As if I can pay the same respect to a drug smuggler who smuggled drugs capable of killing an entire village into a country, the same respect I pay to war veterans.

It's beyond me. I'm glad he's dead, and I think Corby should be hung, but I do have some sympathy for the Bali 9 as they were coerced into committing their actions.

Drug smugglers are scum, just like rapists.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Explosions Hurt said:
Mate, I second every single thing you've said. What I found EXTREMELY insulting was when we had a 1 minute fucking silence for Van Nguyen at the time of his execution!

WTF!! I couldn't be quite. As if I can pay the same respect to a drug smuggler who smuggled drugs capable of killing an entire village into a country, the same respect I pay to war veterans.

It's beyond me. I'm glad he's dead, and I think Corby should be hung, but I do have some sympathy for the Bali 9 as they were coerced into committing their actions.

Drug smugglers are scum, just like rapists.
Agreed hang her

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)