Scholarship Applications (1 Viewer)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Hey BOS,

I have some questions regarding scholarship applications. It'd be awesome if people with experience could help me out, but all help is welcome nonetheless.

My questions are:

i) From your experience, what do universities look for/favour in applications? Sure, I can say the generic "I got 1st in XYZ and I have phenomenal communication skills..." etc. but do they appreciate personality in applications? (Because I have one. Srs.)
ii) What can I say differentiates me from the other candidates? Won't most candidates say the same thing? e.g. "What differentiates me is my determination" <--- generic as fk

Essentially, what I am asking is: how do I stand out?

I want da $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (coz I'm poor and attend a rural school)

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Dont only write how you can benefit from the scholarship, talk about the value you can add.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I figured this - but can I list unconventional things such as an optimist outlook, a good sense of humour and a good community spirit, lol?
It all really depends on the type of scholarship. So if its for co-op or something, you want to display your interest in the specific field and demonstrate how you would be the ideal scholar.

(ps. Good sense of humour is not really valid reason for them wanting to give you a scholarship)

Generic things aren't that bad to mention, if you have a WOW example behind it.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I was talking to someone about co-op today and you need to find something that's really different about you and work it to your advantage. I think also showing a strong passion for what you want to pursue will already distinguish you from the rest.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
if your rural, it would be easier to get a scholarship.
*you're

Would I suggest having absolutely impeccable grammar when you apply for scholarships?

I am sick of people suggesting that being rural is some kind of free pass to scholarships, especially because one often doesn't understand the educational privilege they have just from living in the state capital. (I'm not even talking a swank school, just simple things of having geographic proximities to study days). It takes no understanding of the often entrenched disadvantages in rural settings.

To OP, which scholarships are you going for? Crafting the personal statement carefully if they need one is always the key, or showing you have clear goals and good communication in the interviews.

tumbler66

HSC
N/A
I believe a very good personal statement is the key. And what is a good personal statement:
- Clear and Coherent. Make sure you ask someone else to proofread it for you, and ask them if they understand what you were saying there. Don't beat around the bush, get to the point.
- Don't be afraid to show your passion and determination to learn in that field. If you apply for a film making scholarship, show them that you are dying to reach Oscar someday.
- Dont lie (too much).

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
*you're

Would I suggest having absolutely impeccable grammar when you apply for scholarships?

I am sick of people suggesting that being rural is some kind of free pass to scholarships, especially because one often doesn't understand the educational privilege they have just from living in the state capital. (I'm not even talking a swank school, just simple things of having geographic proximities to study days). It takes no understanding of the often entrenched disadvantages in rural settings.

To OP, which scholarships are you going for? Crafting the personal statement carefully if they need one is always the key, or showing you have clear goals and good communication in the interviews.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I believe a very good personal statement is the key. And what is a good personal statement:
- Clear and Coherent. Make sure you ask someone else to proofread it for you, and ask them if they understand what you were saying there. Don't beat around the bush, get to the point.
- Don't be afraid to show your passion and determination to learn in that field. If you apply for a film making scholarship, show them that you are dying to reach Oscar someday.
- Dont lie (too much).
Made me laugh and was very informative - thank you very much c:

I was talking to someone about co-op today and you need to find something that's really different about you and work it to your advantage. I think also showing a strong passion for what you want to pursue will already distinguish you from the rest.
thx garnier bby ily

It all really depends on the type of scholarship. So if its for co-op or something, you want to display your interest in the specific field and demonstrate how you would be the ideal scholar.

(ps. Good sense of humour is not really valid reason for them wanting to give you a scholarship)

Generic things aren't that bad to mention, if you have a WOW example behind it.
Thanks ON. The humour thing was just an example, but I'll keep in mind I can't use it haha

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
*you're

atm the only things open are co-ops (UNSW). I am applying for that

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
If you get into the interview stage I can fill you in on some of the questions they may ask.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

D94

HSC
N/A
atm the only things open are co-ops (UNSW). I am applying for that
In that case, you need to answer your questions with the values of the Co-op program in mind. Make subtle references to those values and draw from relevant experiences that are related to the field of interest, whether it be business or engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)