scholarships in Bsc (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
what scholarships are available for students interested in studying Bsc or Bsc adv. or anything similar to these courses?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
also why is the cut off for Bsc at USYD and UNSW only 83, is it a bad choice for study, does it not have any job prospects? UTS Bsc is 70.7 atar? why are the cut off's so low compared to engineering or other science related degrees?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
also why is the cut off for Bsc at USYD and UNSW only 83, is it a bad choice for study, does it not have any job prospects? UTS Bsc is 70.7 atar? why are the cut off's so low compared to engineering or other science related degrees?
much more spaces and much less demand.

ATAR requirement has fuck all to do with how hard the degree is or the prospects. its simple supply and demand

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
what scholarships are available for students interested in studying Bsc or Bsc adv. or anything similar to these courses?
There's plenty at both USYD and UNSW for science students imho. It's really what criteria you're going to meet though, but if you are going to get into Adv Sci you'll qualify for a lot of the academic ones.

It's supply and demand. Not inherent difficulty, not job prospects etc.

Circa argument about you making a degree as employable as you want.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
So there is not much demAnd for students with BSc? In aus?

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Because they've got advanced degrees as well. Also ATAR doesn't correlate with job prospects - you don't need an ATAR to become a plumber but there's plenty of opportunities and a fairly good salary.
So there is not much demAnd for students with BSc? In aus?
I wouldn't say there'd be a huge demand for students with just a BSc, simply because there's a large number of people who have an advanced degree and/or honours.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Can't you transfer to BSc adv from BSc?

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
There's plenty at both USYD and UNSW for science students imho. It's really what criteria you're going to meet though, but if you are going to get into Adv Sci you'll qualify for a lot of the academic ones.

It's supply and demand. Not inherent difficulty, not job prospects etc.

Circa argument about you making a degree as employable as you want.
I completely forgot to apply for scholarships throughout this year. I'm planning on doing B. Sci (Adv). Are the academic scholarships application only? I hope I didn't miss them, as it'd be nice to have a bit of extra pocket change throughout uni.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There are more places than there are students applying to BSc degrees - 83 and 95 are basically the minimum and they only increase if there's more people applying than there are places.

Oh, there's quite a lot of scholarships but very competitive.

studybuddy101

HSC
you can just start taking the advanced units from second semester if you do well enough first semester (or even first semester if you did well enough in the relevant HSC subjects, e.g band 6 in physics for advanced physics at sydney). If you take enough advanced units you will be placed in the advanced stream and graduate with a bachelor of science (adv). That's to my understanding though, someone correct me if i'm wrong

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Can't you transfer to BSc adv from BSc?
I don't think you even need to do that - if you're doing a BSc and complete the BSc adv requirements you automatically get awarded the advanced degree.
I completely forgot to apply for scholarships throughout this year. I'm planning on doing B. Sci (Adv). Are the academic scholarships application only? I hope I didn't miss them, as it'd be nice to have a bit of extra pocket change throughout uni.
There's some that can be awarded automatically, but most require an application that was probably due around October.
^^^ Take this guys advice. He's the king of scholarships. Basically defrauded centrelink for $6k/year

HSC
I don't think you even need to do that - if you're doing a BSc and complete the BSc adv requirements you automatically get awarded the advanced degree.
This is incorrect - you need to have a transfer application approved before one can graduate with B Sc Adv if enrolled in B Sc. If enrolled in B Sc Adv and are not satisfying a certain average then you get awarded the B Sc automatically.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
are there scholarships that are available to everyone, like 100% chance of getting it?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
are there scholarships that are available to everyone, like 100% chance of getting it?
It kind of defeats the purpose of having a scholarship if everyone can get one.

Really, it's too late to apply for scholarships now anyway, for now just read up on the scholarships page on the uni website and see if there are any that you might want to apply for next year.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^^^ Take this guys advice. He's the king of scholarships. Basically defrauded centrelink for $6k/year
Seems legit. You do know that Centrelink actually does something similar to audits on people.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a scholarship if everyone can get one.

Really, it's too late to apply for scholarships now anyway, for now just read up on the scholarships page on the uni website and see if there are any that you might want to apply for next year.
Don't worry iJimmy won't be going to uni for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)