School able to prevent you from doing an option topic? (1 Viewer)

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Have a question that I thought it'd be best to ask here.

Can the school prevent you from doing an option topic different to what is taught in class? (The only time where this will be tested, is in the Trial HSC exam.)
and
Is the school required to provide the trial hsc exam in the exact same format as the external hsc exam (i.e. including all options as possible attempts)?

The reason I ask is that I want to do Age of Silicon as my physics topic. Basically, having done Electronics as my elective in year 9 and 10, plus doing the SDD topic, "Software Developers View of the Hardware" (very large overlap to this physics elective), I have litte to nothing new to learn from that topic, so learning it from the physics course would be more like revision and filling in some holes, than learning a whole new topic.

Also, I'm completely disinterested with the topics offered by our school, Astrophysics and Nuclear Physics, whereas I always found electronics interesting, so I know I'd actually study this topic properly, instead of just cramming.

Basically I brought this up with my teacher the other day, and he said I'd have to bring it up with the head teacher, as there would be nobody able to write and/or mark this section (with four physics teachers including one with a PhD in science, sounds a bit spurious, seems more like too lazy to write and/or mark another section). When I suggested he could use the purchased trial papers and marking criteria, (they purchase these anyway to hand out as practices), he said they wouldn't be able to guarantee a common level of difficulty across the options. When I pointed out that there were already two option topics included, meaning this should not make a difference, he said that they would be better able to ensure they were of equal difficulty if they had a teacher who understood both topics.

I remember from IPT that the teachers said they had to include all four option topics, even though they didn't like to because students would usually attempt all four, and they had to take their two best attempts, which usually left students worse off anyway for various reasons...the teacher said he wished they could just put two in but they "had to include four", which leads me to wonder if its a BOS requirement that they include all possible option topics in a trial.

So basically, thats why I'm asking the questions above, so I know my facts before I go argue the case.

Pre-emptive thanks.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
You can do whatever option you like whether it was done it class or not. The exam will be in it's original form, options that your school hasn't done aren't taken out.

As for the marking of it... If the teachers can't mark a different section they don't deserve to be teaching. I am sure they would have to find someone to mark it, they definately couldn't just give you 0 for that section because you did a different option.

Last edited:

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
You can do whatever option you like whether it was done it class or not. The exam will be in it's original form, options that your school hasn't done aren't taken out.
Thats what I would have thought. The school writes its own exams though, so in previous years they've only included two of the five option topics. Are they breaking regulations?

helper

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:

As for the marking of it... If the teachers can't mark a different section they don't deserve to be teaching. I am sure they would have to find someone to mark it, they definately couldn't just give you 0 for that section because you did a different option.
There is no regulation requiring a trial, yet alone a school having to put in every section in an exam.

helper

HSC
N/A
drewgcn said:
Have a question that I thought it'd be best to ask here.

Can the school prevent you from doing an option topic different to what is taught in class? (The only time where this will be tested, is in the Trial HSC exam.)
and
Is the school required to provide the trial hsc exam in the exact same format as the external hsc exam (i.e. including all options as possible attempts)?
They can't prevent you from doing an elective but unless they are aware of someone is doing an elective they do not have to provide a scetion for it in an assessment task.
If they also make it clear that the assessment task will only be on a particular elective before the class starts studying, then you will have trouble appealing.

Discuss it with your teacher and normally they would recomend you don't but help out if you do.

The reason I ask is that I want to do Age of Silicon as my physics topic. Basically, having done Electronics as my elective in year 9 and 10, plus doing the SDD topic, "Software Developers View of the Hardware" (very large overlap to this physics elective), I have litte to nothing new to learn from that topic, so learning it from the physics course would be more like revision and filling in some holes, than learning a whole new topic.
Don't be sure it is as easy to cover thoroughly as you think. This is a common mistake people make when deciding to do another elective. Ensure you understand how to read the syllabus, including the key words.
There are some text books with this elective, so chase them up.

Basically I brought this up with my teacher the other day, and he said I'd have to bring it up with the head teacher, as there would be nobody able to write and/or mark this section (with four physics teachers including one with a PhD in science, sounds a bit spurious, seems more like too lazy to write and/or mark another section). When I suggested he could use the purchased trial papers and marking criteria, (they purchase these anyway to hand out as practices), he said they wouldn't be able to guarantee a common level of difficulty across the options.
Not all purchased papers include all electives and if people are not familar with an elective, then the marking criteria can be aimed at the wrong level.

put two in but they "had to include four", which leads me to wonder if its a BOS requirement that they include all possible option topics in a trial.
No there isn't as there isn't even a requirement for a trial.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
helper said:
They can't prevent you from doing an elective but unless they are aware of someone is doing an elective they do not have to provide a scetion for it in an assessment task.
If they also make it clear that the assessment task will only be on a particular elective before the class starts studying, then you will have trouble appealing.

Discuss it with your teacher and normally they would recomend you don't but help out if you do.
So is the converse true? As in, if they are aware that someone is doing an elective they do have to provide a section for it in the assessment task?
I checked and the only assessment task that accounts for it is the trial.
I'll definitely have brought it up before the class begins the elective, and before assessment task notifications...i.e. this term, which is long before they'll write the trial.

helper said:
Don't be sure it is as easy to cover thoroughly as you think. This is a common mistake people make when deciding to do another elective. Ensure you understand how to read the syllabus, including the key words.
There are some text books with this elective, so chase them up.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying I wasn't going to learn it. Our physics textbook (Jacaranda) covers this elective in detail, and I plan to go through it all. I just meant if I already understood the most of it, it should be far easier than learning nuclear physics (our classes option) from scratch.

helper said:
No there isn't as there isn't even a requirement for a trial.
Damn... Kudos for your help though.

helper

HSC
N/A
drewgcn said:
So is the converse true? As in, if they are aware that someone is doing an elective they do have to provide a section for it in the assessment task?
I checked and the only assessment task that accounts for it is the trial.
I'll definitely have brought it up before the class begins the elective, and before assessment task notifications...i.e. this term, which is long before they'll write the trial.
You are asking something that isn't clear. It comes down to an interpretation of:
ACE Manual
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/ace_manual.pdf

and the Syllabus
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/physics_stg6_syl_03.pdf

It doesn't state clearly either way, which is why you will have to discuss it with the Head Teacher and if you are still not satisfied with the Leading Teacher, Deputy or whoever looks at appeals in your school. It will come down to their interpretation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)