• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

school captain/prefects thoughts (2 Viewers)

imoO

HSC
Re: School captainincy nominations

I've confirmed that ti is student body to vote onto shortlist.

Anyway....The reason I don't promote myself is because people already know what I do during assemblies and other meetings. I hold talks and things in front of the entire school. There is no need to explain what I do, but I'd like to know what i can say about how I can handle the job....

HSC

i think what ever your comfortable with ;)

i likes it... then ago it strikes me cause i would have written something like that too :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

I just hope it's not a damn popularity contest.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
I just hope it's not a damn popularity contest.
If a school is any decent, they wouldn't let their prefects and school captain be elected based solely on student votes (i.e. popularity). Like at my school, after the votes are taken, they are audited by the executive and our year-coordinator.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

the-derivative said:
If a school is any decent, they wouldn't let their prefects and school captain be elected based solely on student votes (i.e. popularity). Like at my school, after the votes are taken, they are audited by the executive and our year-coordinator.
I think in our school the teachers have a vote x 10.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
Wow that's similar to what my school does. It starts off with the Dep. giving you a lecture on the expectations of being a prefect, then she gives you a form which you have to hand in to her on the exam time (part of the test) and she will question you when you hand it in (so it's good to be on her good side). Then all the teachers in the school will decide on the best, say, 20 students and then the students will choose the best 12 to represent the prefects. Then out of the prefects, the school captain is chosen. I hope I explained that well enough :p

I'm very worried about the student elections though.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Wow that's similar to what my school does. It starts off with the Dep. giving you a lecture on the expectations of being a prefect, then she gives you a form which you have to hand in to her on the exam time (part of the test) and she will question you when you hand it in (so it's good to be on her good side). Then all the teachers in the school will decide on the best, say, 20 students and then the students will choose the best 12 to represent the prefects. Then out of the prefects, the school captain is chosen. I hope I explained that well enough :p

I'm very worried about the student elections though.
Wow, that seem more complicated than mine. Ours is just, you nominate, students and teachers get equal votes, results come in, and then gets audited by the college executive. I think that's pretty fair (probably because i made it to prefect). We have a separate vote for the prefect body and the prefect executive though.

To Doc_jolly: as I've told you many times, you have nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure you'll get in... knowing you and your school... you'd be in for sure!

imoO

HSC

Okay I'm not sure on this...they said maximum of 150 words...mine lies at around 220ish....what should I do!!?

bored of sc

HSC

imoO said:
Okay I'm not sure on this...they said maximum of 150 words...mine lies at around 220ish....what should I do!!?
Talk a bit faster and print it off size 11 or 11.5 font if they are reading it.

If not, cut some points out (least important).

imoO

HSC

Currently 216 words...but I think it lacks inspiration....lol..I want to be motivation/inspirational in mine

--------------------------------------------------
Hey,
Being part of the SRC, it allows me to watch the inner workings of the school leaders and their responsibilities. However, there is always the figure of speech ‘You don’t know a person until you’ve walked a thousand miles in their shoes’.
Upon election process, I would rather offer some advice as a contribution to the school community rather than self promotion. Upon the election process, before you lock in your votes, you should think about whom you are voting for, and why you are voting for them. Your judgement should have been made well before the election campaign began, as more and more artificial behaviour will surface in the school as the days count down towards the leaders being picked. The role of a school leader is representing your school, with pride and responsibility. While I have learnt and picked up a few things on the way through SRC, there is no guarantee that you all see that within me.
Your vote should be made useful by voting for somebody who is actually serious about having this role thrust upon them, instead of the stereotypical ‘winning’ of a popularity contest. Your vote is something that can make, or break somebody when the final votes are counted. Your vote will change a person’s life forever.

Any suggestions? I have to cut it down to 150, and also want to be inspiration/motivational towards my school.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

imoO said:
Currently 216 words...but I think it lacks inspiration....lol..I want to be motivation/inspirational in mine

Hey,
Being part of the SRC, it allows me to watch the inner workings of the school leaders and their responsibilities. However, there is always the figure of speech ‘You don’t know a person until you’ve walked a thousand miles in their shoes’.
Upon election process, I would rather offer some advice as a contribution to the school community rather than self promotion. Upon the election process, before you lock in your votes, you should think about whom you are voting for, and why you are voting for them. Your judgement should have been made well before the election campaign began, as more and more artificial behaviour will surface in the school as the days count down towards the leaders being picked. The role of a school leader is representing your school, with pride and responsibility. While I have learnt and picked up a few things on the way through SRC, there is no guarantee that you all see that within me.
Your vote should be made useful by voting for somebody who is actually serious about having this role thrust upon them, instead of the stereotypical ‘winning’ of a popularity contest. Your vote is something that can make, or break somebody when the final votes are counted. Your vote will change a person’s life forever.

Any suggestions? I have to cut it down to 150, and also want to be inspiration/motivational towards my school.
Maybe try and make it a bit more personal, like for example instead of saying 'representing your school' I'd make it more personal... like use the school's nickname. For example if I were to make a speech I'd say "I'm representing Pats or I'm representing the Blue and Blue" - hope you know what I mean.

Also I dunno, maybe it's just me and my friends... but if someone said "Your vote will change a person’s life forever." - I'd prob laugh or something, so maybe I'd get rid of that.

The ideas you raise up are pretty good, and I think your current speech would probably win you a lot of teacher votes, however those are just some suggestions I've got.

imoO

HSC

the-derivative said:
Maybe try and make it a bit more personal, like for example instead of saying 'representing your school' I'd make it more personal... like use the school's nickname. For example if I were to make a speech I'd say "I'm representing Pats or I'm representing the Blue and Blue" - hope you know what I mean.

Also I dunno, maybe it's just me and my friends... but if someone said "Your vote will change a person’s life forever." - I'd prob laugh or something, so maybe I'd get rid of that.

The ideas you raise up are pretty good, and I think your current speech would probably win you a lot of teacher votes, however those are just some suggestions I've got.
Thanks for the ideas...I'll see what I can do and post more up.

It's due this Thursday, so theres alot of stress involved :D

EDIT

Hey,
Being part of the SRC, it allows me to watch the inner workings of the school leaders. However, the figure of speech ‘You don’t know a person until you’ve walked a thousand miles in their shoes’.
Before you lock your votes in, you should think about who you are voting for and why. Your judgement should have been made well before the election campaign began, as more artificial behaviour will surface in the school as the days go by. The role of a school leader is representing OUR SCHOOL, with pride and responsibility, something I’ve done ever since the beginning of year 7, when I jumped into the pool straight after I had 2 weeks of school and had recovered from the chicken pox. You can ask any Balmanians if you don’t believe me. That is the type of dedication I am talking about. Your vote should go towards somebody who cares and wants this job.

Exactly 150....But i need another word for 'Hey'....it's too boring :D

Last edited:

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC

I personally suggest that you do something different. Don't state what you've done in the past because it doesn't mean shit. During our elections, many people just listed what they've done over the past few years and left it at that.

I for one proposed a new bus route from our school to Epping and used that briefly in my speech. This particular proposition has bagged me a meeting with John Watkins in 2 weeks. Needless to say I got prefect.

Create some sort of iniatives you'd like to establish during your position in power, and state them in your submission. People are NOT impressed by what you've done, they take notice when you propose something different.

I wish you the best of luck!

imoO

HSC

AussieVesti said:
I personally suggest that you do something different. Don't state what you've done in the past because it doesn't mean shit. During our elections, many people just listed what they've done over the past few years and left it at that.

I for one proposed a new bus route from our school to Epping and used that briefly in my speech. This particular proposition has bagged me a meeting with John Watkins in 2 weeks. Needless to say I got prefect.

Create some sort of iniatives you'd like to establish during your position in power, and state them in your submission. People are NOT impressed by what you've done, they take notice when you propose something different.

I wish you the best of luck!
Lol ...I'd think that's over-doing it. Keep in mind these are only self-nominations....to be voted onto a short-list. The rest is in teachers hands from there....No speeches...only interviews..

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

imoO said:
Lol ...I'd think that's over-doing it. Keep in mind these are only self-nominations....to be voted onto a short-list. The rest is in teachers hands from there....No speeches...only interviews..
I wouldn't go that far. just be honest, and be 'down to Earth' and don't appear too cocky. However, I believe, if you are good enough to become a school captain, you don't need a speech to persuade people. If you're going to get it, you'll get it ... speech or no speech - personally I don't really take into account people's campaigning when dealing with school captaincy nominations.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
To Doc_jolly: as I've told you many times, you have nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure you'll get in... knowing you and your school... you'd be in for sure!
nooo .. I still don't think I'm going to get past the first round!

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
I wouldn't go that far. just be honest, and be 'down to Earth' and don't appear too cocky. However, I believe, if you are good enough to become a school captain, you don't need a speech to persuade people. If you're going to get it, you'll get it ... speech or no speech - personally I don't really take into account people's campaigning when dealing with school captaincy nominations.
+1

I don't either. I think take into account who deserves it the most and which person I think would do a damn good job of representing my school.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
+1

I don't either. I think take into account who deserves it the most and which person I think would do a damn good job of representing my school.
I don't think school captaincy should be taken lightly, and you shouldn't vote for someone just because you like them as a person. At my school, we don't have these nomination speeches. Anyone who has successfully become a prefect can nominate for college captain and the votes are taken, however it is ultimately the executive who decides who becomes captain.

HSC

haha and in the end...you actually do! xD
half teh people don't even know who the nomineees are :S

Doctor Jolly said:
nooo .. I still don't think I'm going to get past the first round!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

A good speech helps. Someone in my year did a very good speech (comparable to Barrack Obama) and at least 60% of the year ended up voting for him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)