• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Chaplaincy (1 Viewer)

What do you think of school chaplaincy

• Its a bad idea

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Its a good idea

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
just because you don't believe what we believe it does not make us insane.
It was fun trolling you.

For now I must go forth and flourish in my studies.

:wave:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
What do you think the 'real' considerations of this policy were? Do you honestly think they thought a chaplaincy program was what we need? Or were they being lobbied?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
As far as I know, it's already available (according to the gov website)
Why is the Government providing funding for school chaplains?

As one of society’s key institutions, schools are in a strong position to support the wellbeing, values and spirituality of young people. Chaplains already play a significant role in supporting many schools throughout Australia, including government schools, and there have been calls for their services to be more broadly available to school communities.

In response to this, the Australian Government has established the National School Chaplaincy Program (the Program) to support the valuable contributions that chaplains provide to the spiritual and emotional wellbeing of school communities nationally and to support schools and their communities to establish school chaplaincy services or to enhance existing chaplaincy services.

How much funding is available?

Under the Program $165 million over three years (2006-07 to 2009-10) will be available for government and non-government schools to establish school chaplaincy services, or expand existing services. Government and non-government schools and their communities were able to apply for up to $20,000 per annum (and a maximum of $60,000 over the life of the Program) to establish school chaplaincy services or to enhance existing chaplaincy services.
So I'm not sure whether this is a new thing that they're trying to make standard, or whether people have seen funding is available and automatically assumed it was going to be implemented

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
It probably already is... but why? It really doesn't make sense at all to be fostering a child's "spiritual development" if they don't already have aircon/a real counsellor/computers etc. tbqh if all these things did exist then MAYBE it'd be a nice icing on the cake.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
and there have been calls for their services to be more broadly available to school communities.
They don't really elaborate on where these calls came from .. Keeping in mind this was brought in under Howard ..
Not that I ever remember hearing of people lobbying for this in public schools.

Also, don't have to be Christians
Do chaplains have to be Christian?

School communities will also determine the role, faith and, or denomination of the chaplain. The services provided by a chaplain should be appropriate to the school community and student context in which they will operate.

Chaplains will be expected to respect the range of religious views and affiliations, and cultural traditions in the school and the community, and be approachable by students of all faiths. While recognising that an individual chaplain will in good faith express his or her belief and articulate values consistent with his or her denomination or religious belief, a chaplain should not take advantage of his or her privileged position to proselytise for that denomination or religious belief.

It is recognised that for some religious affiliations, a more suitable or appropriate term may be used, such as Imam, Rabbi, lay leader, religious worker.
I don't know. Not sure what the furore is about if this has been running successfully for the last few years, somewhat undetected.

What is a school chaplain expected to do?

The services provided by a chaplain should be appropriate to the school and student context in which he or she will operate. Within this context, chaplains will be expected to respect the range of religious views and affiliations, and cultural traditions in the school and the community, and be approachable by students of all faiths. It is not the purpose of chaplaincy services to bring about or encourage commitment to any set of beliefs.

It is important to note that school chaplains cannot provide services for which they are not qualified, for example, counselling services or psychological assessment, or medical assessment.

Chaplains can, under certain circumstances, refer a child to a chaplain who is in accordance with their own beliefs and values.

The key tasks of a chaplain may include, facilitating access to the helping agencies in the community, both religious-based and secular.

The activities undertaken by school chaplains may include, but are not limited to:

Spiritual guidance:

* Supporting students to explore their spirituality;
* Providing guidance on religious, values and ethical matters; and
* Facilitating access to the helping agencies in the community, both church-based and secular.

Greater pastoral care:

* Providing guidance to students on issues concerning human relationships;
* Assisting school counsellors and staff in the provision of student welfare services;
* Providing support in cases of bereavement, family breakdown or other crisis and loss situations; and
* Being readily available to provide continuity and on-going support for individual students and staff where this is necessary.
Haha, what a wank.

I'll see if I can find anything regarding 'the calls for'

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Exphate said:
Textbooks mang.

Textbooks :(
haha sorry, it's been a while since I went to public schools (year 9). I remember now what it was like trying to get a textbook for every kid, that has definitely got to be a priority.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Exphate said:
It's not just that. We had a textbook/child (in advanced that is...although only 22 kids did it) but they were in terrible condition (6 years old).

There are so many more "important" things that this money could be thrown at (not saying spiritual development isn't important, but it is something that one can actively seek outside of school for no cost). Like building extra classrooms to get rid of demountables, airconditioning, books, better equiptment. All the basic tools that you need in an educational environment.

Teacher bias shining through a little in wanting stuff like books.
hows bout like... a state-of-the art detention centre, where children are held in place with MAGNETS!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I had to sign a child protection form.

It's basically guaranteeing parents I won't beat down on their shitty children when they piss me the fuck off at work.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
This is a grotesque misappropriation of government funds. Anyone who disagrees is an idiot.
different opinions =/= idiot.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
bodyglove said:
The path to Sharia in Australia is paved by two groups:

1) Christian zealots who would ***** all over the constitution if it meant ending abortion and homosexuality. These people insist that the Bible dictate our law (emi, true, and a few other tools) without realizing that they're leaving the door wide open for other religions and holy books to do the same. The tunnel vision of these dumbasses is astonishing.

2) Politically correct douche bags who don't have the guts to call chaplains in governments schools barbarism when it hides behind the veil of religion. These fools are bending over backwards in USA and Europe, with Australia well on it's way.
How dare you say those things about me, and evaluate what i think about our laws when you clearly know little about my views. I have never believed 'religion' should dictate our laws you utter moron.
Read my posts in this thread on this matter before you write stupid things like that - retard.
EDIT: in hindsight sorry about the insults , but you liberally sprinkled (undeserved) insults throughout your (seemingly) try hard post , and I was massively ticked off.

Last edited:

they-say

HSC
bigboyjames said:
which fuck heads voted yes?

edit: 5 people voted yes. WTF *smacks head on table*
if you go to a christian school you have to expect it... if you dont like the idea of a chaplain dont go to a religous school... its simple.

SuperHayden

HSC
This is a funny topic because at my school we had a school wide vote wheather we wanted one or not, and it resulted in the majority of student saying no we dont want one

2 months later, we had a chaplan doing her thing anyway! so they obviously dont care what the students want? or maybe they were doing it for the minority who knows

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
they-say said:
if you go to a christian school you have to expect it... if you dont like the idea of a chaplain dont go to a religous school... its simple.
and you guys say that I don't read stuff

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If you believe that the eternal future of the soul is at stake, you'd have to say yar, right?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's an interesting conflict with Church and State. If working families have deserted the Church, it's hardly constructive to don a state mask and try to snatch the kinder from under them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)