School Intranet/Website - How useful is it? (1 Viewer)

biggie walls

HSC
What does your school offer by way of intranet/website?

I goto a public school and weve had heaps of money spent on networking the school and getting an intranet/website set up - but the administration/teachers have not done anything with it...

This really annoys me when I see my brother on his Uni portal checking up on all his marks,missed lectures/notes,attendance etc.etc.etc

I think we should be able to have access to marks/ranks, teachers should be able to put up notes and helpful website links etc.

What does your school offer? and how useful do you think it is, in aiding your learning?

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
at my school, we did have a big intranet...when it was first introduced, it was so exciting and everyone wanted to have a look. mainly, it is a digital copy of many announcements, like awards given out, digital copy of assignments for each year, school policies, subject websites (the English website is by far the most comprehensive and had the most content), links to media tool websites (e.g. font art, graphics, etc...), search engines, online resources, staff contact...but prolly the most useful was the copy of the Daily Bulletin, each issue released on the intranet the night before THAT issue is posted on the bulletin boards at school.

lets just say, it wasnt THAT useful at all, it was just nice to have, nice to know that theres copies of important assignments and documents stored there. really, nothing else. its just nice to have, very convenient.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
biggie walls said:
What does your school offer by way of intranet/website?
Yes we have an intranet at my school.

biggie walls said:
This really annoys me when I see my brother on his Uni portal checking up on all his marks,missed lectures/notes,attendance etc.etc.etc

I think we should be able to have access to marks/ranks, teachers should be able to put up notes and helpful website links etc.
I don’t think you will ever see what you’re talking about with Uni Portal on a student intranet; even though it would be easy to do teachers don’t feel the need. With that being said my IPT final ranks where put up on the intranet.

biggie walls said:
What does your school offer? and how useful do you think it is, in aiding your learning?
It is used mostly for putting up assignments\assessments, general announcements, related link, resources and helpful information. Some sections (websites) for each facility include homework and extra reading but that’s not every subject.

Again at my school the English section has the most information and is the most useful although rightly so.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mm our intranet was pretty good. It had news and a lot of student-contribution material such as photos from the latest extra curricular activities, excursions, etc... and then if you want you can run your own website (we got 20mb each) for school work. Doesn't sound that exciting I suppose but watching videos of our mates and seeing funny photos sure makes using the library a lot more interesting. We could also view other ppl's timetable (ahaha for stalkers) and umm... at one stage you could submit work electronically but I think it was a bit dodgy. Everyone has their own login and hard drive space, etc... and it's pretty good I guess? But yeh at first it wasn't so widely used but then the school started saying if you need to find stuff out or you missed something like careers info, then you could check the site. It turned out to be very useful!

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I helped build our school intranet. The students were a little curious, but all the teachers loved it, then promptly ignored our requests for material to put on it, so it fell into disuse. It had timetables, photos, a whole resources section, a holder page for the forthcoming school email (which still hasn't arrived), and all sorts of stuff. Ah well.

As for the schol website.... *shudder*

I_F

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Our school intranet was not bad, it had features such as news, various timetables such as exams and normal school, our weekly newsletter, a login system where students/teachers can access a database of homework, past papers, and assignment sheets.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
We've got a useless, rarely updated intranet site.
It has past papers for maths, past trial papers for science and syllabuses for all subjects. That's it. It has ads for school events from 6 months ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)