School marks or ranks? (1 Viewer)

ZaoKai

HSC
Hi! I was just wondering if when Nesa calculates ur atar for 50% of your school assessments whether they look at your ranks or your actual school marks

like say I was 9th with a mark with 82/100 and I got bonus 3 marks so 85/100 but the 8th place got 86/100 so I am still below the 8th person and still 9th place (despite getting +3)

would the bonus 3 marks I got increase my atar at all (by like 0.05 for e.g) or not at all since my rank is still the same?

thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
First, UAC calculates students' ATARs, not NESA. NESA determines the marks to be sent to UAC, which UAC then converts to scaled marks to be used in calculating students' ATARs.

To add a bit more detail, your school will submit your total assessment mark to NESA for a particular subject. This mark will reflect your final rank relative to your cohort in that subject. The latter will be used alongside HSC exam marks achieved by you and your cohort in determining your Assessment Mark (i.e. your internal mark). From this point, the higher your rank, the higher your Assessment Mark will be.

This brings us to the relevance of relative differences (also called relative gaps). Relative gaps essentially constitute the difference between the assessment marks of different students that your school submits to NESA. These differences are maintained when determining the Assessment Marks as part of the moderation process. This means that a higher school assessment mark, which reduces the gap between yourself and the student ranked eighth, could contribute to a higher moderated Assessment Mark, since the relative gap will be maintained. Of course, the cohort still needs to perform at a high standard in their HSC exams to not only ensure favourable Examination Marks (HSC exam marks) but also maximise their Assessment Marks.

but what if 9th got like 10%, surely that's not fair
NESA is aware of such possibilities (as unlikely as they might seem) and have processes in place to ensure that no student is disadvantaged should this occur.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)