School Ranking Importance? (1 Viewer)

CallanT

HSC
Is it still possible to get the 95+ ATAR that i need even though my school is ranked around 500

Subjects are:
Maths 4U
English Adv.
Business Studies
Chemistry
Accounting
Studies of Religion 1
PDHPE

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes. Any ranking you have seen for your school will not have any impact on your results as the rankings are done each year AFTER the HSC results are known and they do change - particularly at the lower ranks e.g. my school has been ranked closer to 600 on occasions and has still have students with ATARs over 95. The ranking of a school is determined by the percentage of Band 6s a school gets each year so it is possible for a school to move up or down quite considerably at times. Schools that tend not to move much are the Selective ones as they start with an advantage considering how they choose their student body. Comprehensive schools, such as yours, will have fewer bright kids but those they do have will still be rewarded with appropriate marks and ATARs.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
100% possible. Even at lower end school, there's normally a few bright kids that will get a good ATAR if they work at it :) The ranking doesn't directly influence you seeing as it's calculated after.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Is it still possible to get the 95+ ATAR that i need even though my school is ranked around 500

Subjects are:
Maths 4U
English Adv.
Business Studies
Chemistry
Accounting
Studies of Religion 1
PDHPE
Yes, case in point: me.

Lina3

HSC
Yes it's possible. They say that the school you go to doesn't affect your ATAR. However, this means they do not look at what school you go to when calculating your ATAR. The school you go to would certainly affect how you go in your exams, with selective schools being more competitive and all. It all comes down to effort, if you work hard at it you will be rewarded whether your school is ranked 1st or 500th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)