School ranks (1 Viewer)

ehung

Hi every1, say if my school which was ranked 29th according to 2002' , to achieve a UAI of >95 what sort of ranks should i be getting for my subjects? Say like top 10? 15?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Those SMH rankings are wrong because they are based on the number of band 6's as opposed to the percentage. This advantages our school cos we have tons of people. And try to find out how many people got 95+ last year and that should give you a pretty good indication. Oh and I'd say its more than the top 10-15 get 95.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i agree with ^^

look at how many over badn 6s the first few schools got. some schools don't even have that many exams being sat!!

and i agree, look at the trends from the last few years, generally schools get the same amount of people over 80, 90, 95, etc. ,generally

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
James Ruse, Baulkham Hills etc. come out top either way - I believe total band 6s is as accurate as a rank based on percantages as that advantages small schools :p - case in point - first in English band 6s was James Ruse, second was a school with 2 exams sat one band 6 :. 50%:p - thats what I consider misleading... look at both styles of league tables to get the most accurate prediction.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Even if you ranked schools by the percentage of students scoring in top bands, the rankings still wouldn't be accurate.

You can't compare marks between courses - ergo, you can't compare bands between courses.

It would be better to rank schools by percentages within individual courses. (But even that doesn't necessarily tell you whether the school was any good; just whether the students who attended it were.)

untamedanimal

They might not indicate the best school, but here they are anyway. The rank order by percentage of the 591 schools that got atleast 1 DA in 2002. Obviously first place is the same.

Its also not that accurate to rank by percentage seeing that if a school had 3 DA out of 5 tests they would be considered the best school according to that list

Last edited:

ehung

My half yrlies mark was pathetic, i don't believe myself.

For two unit maths (im a 3U student), i dropped down to 78% not only that but for like all my subjects as well.

Are my school marks going to be moderated by a little or a lot? Is there still a possibility that i will achieve a mark (school based + HSC mark) greater than 95 for 2U maths? And just how screwed am i?

Because after the half yrlies came back, the careers advisor was full booked.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
At this stage of the HSC it's still very much able to achieve 95+ UAI. 78% isn't that bad..it can be easily recovered from.

The mark you receive at school is moderated and it dependent on your class performance in the exam.

ehung

class?? or do you mean grade?

It just seems so far that 95+ UAI, b4 fore i was saying i wanna get 99.6 i must of been dreaming.

wats the 95+ aggregate?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yeah sorry, I meant grade.

For a UAI of 95, you'd need an aggregate of about 405. However, that is from scaled marks. And these marks are not revealed to students, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just try your best and don't let poor assessments get you down.

ehung

So the school marks go through a process of moderation aligning of your hsc marks, scaled? no non of the subs i do scale anything up except down.

especially with all the uni courses so high, i don't even think i'll make it to uni ><

So getting a better rank is more important ey? But some person beat me 53/80 he got 65/80 yes my economics is shocking, so i guess i can still catch up hopefully.

But for 2U maths there is no way i can get top 3 now, because my class is smart. That 78 realli did bog me down

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ehung
But for 2U maths there is no way i can get top 3 now
I'd say that it all depends on the quality of the accelerated students this year. I think its a given that at least one of them was going to make top 3 and with Sam and Gavin doing as well as they are...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Even if you ranked schools by the percentage of students scoring in top bands, the rankings still wouldn't be accurate.

You can't compare marks between courses - ergo, you can't compare bands between courses.
on that note i know schools who tell their students to do the lower courses. then the students will get band 6s in the lower courses and the school will look better in the paper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)