School/subject change??? (1 Viewer)

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
My brother asked me to put up this post to ask yall somthing. Right now his in year 10 at a school ranked 250+

Basically, he was offered a place at a selective school (top 25). But here's the thing, he wants to do biology, but the class they have is full. He can either:

• Stay at his current school and choose biology
  • Move to the selective school (which without a doubt achieves greater results) and chooses business studies instead of biology. His quite content with business studies but he has a strong interest in biology.
What do you think?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
If I had the choice of moving from my top 40 school to a top 10 school, with the condition that I must sacrifice one of my subjects for something else, I would say yes. (as long as it is not Maths Extension 2)

If your brother is content with Business Studies, then I'd say change schools. However, if he desperately wants to do Biology, then let him stay at his current school. This all depends on how desperate your brother is in doing Business Studies.

That being said, I'd rather stay at a lower ranked school than a high ranked school if my school didn't let me do maths Extension 2 and another school did.

so it all depends on him.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
i'd take that offer.

can't he do bio by correspondence?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Some factors to consider:
-if he can do better in bio or business studies
-their scaling (i think they are similar but not sure)
-desire to do bio as opposed to business studies
-accessibility of resources for the two subjects
-whether going to such a school will help him with achieving greater ATAR (i.e. whether he is anyway top or is in above average line - if he is amongst the top, he'll get what he deserve anyway and if he is just above average, the school's performance may play a role)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
-if he can do better in bio or business studies
-their scaling (i think they are similar but not sure)
-desire to do bio as opposed to business studies
-accessibility of resources for the two subjects
-whether going to such a school will help him with achieving greater ATAR (i.e. whether he is anyway top or is in above average line - if he is amongst the top, he'll get what he deserve anyway and if he is just above average, the school's performance may play a role)
Business scales crap and is capped whereas bio is not XD

Nevertheless i'd take that offer and ace bus :)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hmm.. I see, I never knew that business studies was capped.
If I were him (the OP's brother), I would have chosen a lower ranked school that offers biology.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Business scales crap and is capped whereas bio is not XD

Nevertheless i'd take that offer and ace bus :)
Crap is downplaying it. Bio doesn't even scale a hell of a lot better then Business.

i'd take that offer.
can't he do bio by correspondence?

He can. But I wouldn't recommend it, especially for something like Biology...

-if he can do better in bio or business studies bio
-their scaling (i think they are similar but not sure) Should be similar
-desire to do bio as opposed to business studies Both ok but bio>busines
-accessibility of resources for the two subjects Resources are plentiful for both
-whether going to such a school will help him with achieving greater ATAR (i.e. whether he is anyway top or is in above average line - if he is amongst the top, he'll get what he deserve anyway and if he is just above average, the school's performance may play a role) top of his current school

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
If he is top of his current school, it doesn't matter as long as he is capable of retaining the top position throughout Year 12.
I.e. Whatever he likes to do is prob fine.

strechfreak

HSC
look in my opinion selective schools aren't all they are hyped up to be the only reason they get higher in the ranks is because they have the smart kids that normally have a good work ethic (unlike me). this is coming from personal experience atm i go to manly selective but the school rushes through the subjects so fast that it can be hard to keep up. if your brother wants to go to the selective school make sure that he has a good work ethic otherwise he'll fall behind pretty fast just like i did. if he isn't willing to put much work in then he should probably stay at his current school.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lol Im srs. They're two really similar subjects in terms of scaling. Obviously they scale less than physics and chemistry though.
LOL i didn't get what you meant because you seemed the 2nd sentence seemed to contradict the 1st XD

Anyway, in terms of scaling they're different. Business is capped whereas bio isn't and at every mark bio scales much better than business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)