School won't allow me to do Advanced English (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Alright. Well, if that's the case...do yourself a favor and don't skip class. Demonstrate to them that you are capable of doing Advance and hopefully it will work out.

HSC
try n get into adv.....my school didnt let me do adv as well, now im coming 1st in english standard......but i'd rather do adv, better scaling, n its hard to get band 6 n standard......

-pari-

HSC
N/A
don't be fooled though. english adv is a demanding course....
if you get below average in eng. adv, thats worse than coming above average in standard - do dont follow the immediate stereotype that advanced is automatically better.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
-pari- said:
don't be fooled though. english adv is a demanding course....
if you get below average in eng. adv, thats worse than coming above average in standard - do dont follow the immediate stereotype that advanced is automatically better.
perfecto

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You're from Sefton eh? Well I was in the same position as you two years ago (I'm from the Sefton HS class of 06)! They promised that they would let some Standard people move up to Advanced if they did well in the Area of Study assessment task and vice versa for Advanced dropping down to Standard, but they fuckin' LIED. They made up all these extremely lame (I emphasise EXTREMELY LAME) excuses to prevent me from getting in, despite the fact that I owned over 80% of the Advanced people in the Area of Study common assessment task and topped the grade in Year 11. They lied, probably because they wanted to make sure the Standard students weren't bludging.

I am pretty damn sure that the English faculty at the school is doing this because they simply cannot teach the Advanced course properly. All my friends who did Advanced did not learn a thing from the so-called teachers, in fact the stuff they taught was way off the requirements of the syllabus. Obviously, they'll deny this, but take my word from my experience that they cannot teach English for crap. I had to rely on my own textbooks/resources and tutoring notes to get through the HSC, and never even glimpsed at my school notes for revision. Their marking criteria is way off the HSC marking criteria. Of course, there are a bare few decent teachers who know what the HSC requires but that's like only 1 or 2 of them.

The people from my grade who 'escaped' to other schools after Year 10 and did Advanced scored high 80s and low 90s, - now that's an excellent result from them considering that they would have done Standard had they stayed at Sefton AND only the top 10-15 people who did Advanced at Sefton scored those kinds of marks that year. So basically, those guys who were about average at Sefton in English before they left to another school, were brought up to the HSC marks that were equivalent to the top few students at Sefton in Advanced. Now that's proof that Sefton has a screwed up English faculty.

Also, I believe sexism is playing is role in this. I don't know about you, but a lot more of the 'dumber' female students (including those who still don't know what context means) were somehow let into Advanced than any male students who scored way higher than them in Year 10 and Preliminary.
It seems that you'll probably end up doing Standard like me, because unforunately, they have the authority. I even consulted the BOS back then and to my disappointment, they said that the school has the authority. I guess you'll just have to accept it.

Don't worry too much, if you can get into the top 5, like I did, you'll be able to score a mid-high band 5 no problem, which is the best you can do for a decent result.

On a side note, I am intending to tutor English Standard for students like you (particularly Sefton students) come HSC time in term 4, perhaps you might be interested? lol :D

Last edited:

Peteage

HSC
Hey man I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of the year but for maths, im assuming you go to a non-government school like me where they think they are above the board of studies regulation which states subjects should be chosen at a students preference, and hence, it is not the teachers place to choose who they think is suited to what subjects. To give you some advice I would say, be persistent, remind them of there obligations to cater for student subject choices, note also; calling the board of studies and ask them yourself, then going to the English department and explain to them the conversation you had with them and the contrast to what they are doing. I had to go to the math’s co-coordinator every morning for the first 2 weeks of school asking him if a place has opened up for me; showing him the work I have been doing to keep up with their class so I wont be a hindrance when/if I move until he go so sick of me he “found” a place for me in a class.

Good luck man and I hope it all goes well for you, it’s a pretty crap feeling not being able to do a class you are positive you can apply yourself in.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Hm advanced is sometimes not what its cracked up to be though. I'm thinking of dropping due to all this modernism and whatnot. I am terrible at it & pretty sure I could do alot better in standard. But I'm just unsure about so many things nowadays. Are you really sure you want this ? There is quite a huge difference between advanced & standard imo. If you really want it though, fight for it. Ask them why they wont allow you. They should have a good reason for not allowing you to.

ccc123

HSC
They must have justified exactly why you're an unsuitable candidate. Why do you want to do advanced? Do you find the standard course too easy? It all really depends on what your marks are like, and whether or not the school thinks you could cope in advanced. To be frank though, if the school is overtly refusing to let you do advanced, there's probably a legitimate reason.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Nah, the school may give reasons, but they are ridiculous reasons and are nowhere near legitimate. For example, in my case, one of the excuses was that the reason for my top marks was because Standard was 'helping' me achieve them. What makes this extremely ridiculous is that anything lower would initiate the other excuse that the marks aren't good enough, but when they are good enough, their excuse is that Standard is supposedly 'helpful' in achieving this.
In my case, every teacher and tutor I've had, believed I should have done Advanced, it's just that the head teacher was a fag and made up all these lame excuses. Whilst I got approval from my Year 11 teacher that I was good enough for Advanced, she was afraid to support me in the presence of the head teacher because my teacher was afraid of getting into trouble with her boss.....
I'm guessing history is repeating itself in his case....

Most of the people who left Sefton for other schools after Year 10 and did Advanced, scored high 80s and low 90s for their final HSC mark in that subject. Keep in mind, that in the Sefton head teacher's opinion, most of those guys should being doing Standard. Now obviously, that's fucked up...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
advanced english is for those who are prepared for it ... i find english on all levels utterly boring ... so i stay in english standard and i will not study any texts on shakespeare ...

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
lol shakespears not that bad (although i havent thoroughly studied his work yet). Give the ol' guy a break. =] ahah ..

lol i know a few months from now ill be complaining about how much i hate advanced and wish i woulda dropped sooner ..

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
lol shakespears not that bad (although i havent thoroughly studied his work yet). Give the ol' guy a break. =] ahah ..

lol i know a few months from now ill be complaining about how much i hate advanced and wish i woulda dropped sooner ..
advanced english students began dominating our standard english class when our hsc course commenced :( ... theyve stolen our ranks ... its your turn to give the standard english students a hard time :), at least the 08ers won't affect my marks/ranks in the HSC

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
muahahaha ! thats what i love about being in advanced. knowing that I can drop and top most standard students ! ^^ too bad I wasnt able to ruin your HSC .. ah well .. one less persons life to ruin. =]

Scion

HSC
Aarrrrgh im not getting anywhere with the skewl. I wanna appeal to the board of studies - can anyone point me in the right direction for how to do so???

thnx

cs01001

HSC
I don't think you can appeal to the BOS, its all up to the school...

morganforrest

HSC
cs01001 said:
I don't think you can appeal to the BOS, its all up to the school...
if worse comes to worse you could study it thru the Open High School couldn't you? Correct me someone if I'm wrong?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Well I have my doubts about what I heard but the deputy said that I wasnt able to apply myself for Open High School but only that the school could. This could not be true as some people do distance ed for all their subjects therefore they are unable to have contact with schools. Other people in these forums have also said that if a subject was offered at your school, you were unable to do it through Open High.

cs01001

HSC
Did the school tell you why they wouldn't let you do Advance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)