Schools defend right to expel gays (1 Viewer)

Siddy123

HSC
religious freedom does not mean freedom to persecute, ostracize or commit any form of discrimination to a member of a community.

and its fucked up to make a kid feel ashamed for the way god made him.
that's a whole other debate in itself

are u born that way(ie. no reasonable control over the circumstances) or do u make the active choice to be gay?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

are u born that way(ie. no reasonable control over the circumstances) or do u make the active choice to be gay?
Does it even matter ? Who cares if they want to teach same sex sexualities in schools...

Siddy123

HSC
Does it even matter ? Who cares if they want to teach same sex sexualities in schools...
otherwise known as homosexuals in the English language

and wut r u talkin bout, i was quoting a post referring to the " god created them like that"
never mentioned anything about the schools issue

ie. stfu m8

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

I'd say you're born that way. Why are so many gay men "in the closet" and afraid to come out? Why choose to ostracize yourself from society? You can choose to be fat, skinny, built whatever. but you cannot choose your sexuality, it's built into your dna on who you are attracted to.

Theres gay animals as well.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
religious freedom does not mean freedom to persecute, ostracize or commit any form of discrimination to a member of a community.
Actually yes it does.

Whether or not the government is willing to give money to organisations that practice this is different though

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Actually yes it does.

Whether or not the government is willing to give money to organisations that practice this is different though
Nope.avi

It does not give religiously affiliated organizations to pass their own judgements. Is it religious freedom for a few muslim men to bash a fellow muslim because he drank alcohol?

Can the school kick students out for consumption of alcohol, sexual acts, using the lords name in vain? Sure. But can they kick students out for BEING homosexual? You'd bring up a lot of legal issues. I personally believe no private school should recieve ANY state funding, religious or not.

edit: good job on those faith based schools on shooting themselves in the foot. way to be not a bigot. I hope this laws pass.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It does not give religiously affiliated organizations to pass their own judgements. Is it religious freedom for a few muslim men to bash a fellow muslim because he drank alcohol?
It absolutely does. What in the world is the point of religious freedom if religions are not allowed to exercise their own judgement based on their own morals, values and codes? Presuming of course they do not infringe on the rights of others.

Is it permissible? Of course not because this infringes on the rights of others and causes significant harm to them.

Can the school kick students out for consumption of alcohol, sexual acts, using the lords name in vain? Sure. But can they kick students out for BEING homosexual?
Conservative Christians generally view the state of being a homosexual as immoral, however disjointed that is from their faith. If the basis of their disciplinary actions for alcohol consumption, engaging in sex acts and general profanity, especially if you mean off school grounds, is founded in the idea that these things are immoral and immorality has no place within their private organisation, what's the difference between the two?

Mind you I don't think they should be exclusionary on such a stupid basis as sexuality but what I think isn't necessarily what these people deem best for themselves, their organisation and their community.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
the concept of a private person or organisation exercising its own rights to exclude and discriminate is not difficult to grasp

SherlockHolmes

HSC
If you are a school and think being gay is wrong and want to expel children for that, then I don't really think you should be educating children.

Last edited:

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
i went to a Christian school i found that it was the students themselves rather then the teachers who use to give me a hard time about believing in evolution and being a feminist

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
i went to a Christian school i found that it was the students themselves rather then the teachers who use to give me a hard time about believing in evolution and being a feminist
feminism and evolution are mutually exclusive. i guess your christian school didn't teach you how to be logically consistent.

resourceater

HSC
freedom of religion i understand but "religious freedom" - that's a bit of a paradox isn't it?

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
can someone tell me why this is wrong? I personally went to a christian school, and if you don't share the same values as the rest of us, why is there a need to be there? or more importantly, why would you want to be in a school like mine (or any other religious school for that matter), if you are just there to oppose the teachers, students and everyone else around you?

anyway, the school (well my school) is there in first place is for children to receive education in a christian environment, and allowing such behaviour defeats the values and principles of my school, it may as well be just a regular high school
Homosexuals can be Christian too, you fuck.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
If it is a private/catholic school that is pay. If it is a public school it is not.

enoilgam

HSC
I went to a Catholic school as well and a significant proportion of people were atheist or agnostic - I can think of many times in R.E. class where we argued against religion and the beliefs of the church (which we were allowed to do).

Also, just putting it out there, a belief in a religion and a belief in evolution are not always mutually exclusive. Many religions (including some branches of Christianity) believe in evolution. Much like being gay and being Christian aren't mutually exclusive.

SherlockHolmes

HSC
I am referring to school as a group or organization, but you already know that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)