science advanced (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
i think were around 5 doing bsc (adv sci) (math and fins) and bcom/bsc (fins and math) and im sure that number has dropped cz most people found maths was hard and they werent good enough or cz they were bums. the sci degree is not as good as the combined degree because it is more restrictive and u have to do general education. i transferred from bcom (actuarial studies & finance) to bcom/bsc (fins and maths) precisely to avoid those kind of thing :- i wanted more choice and flexibility, and i wanted to do subjects which would be of use to my career.

most of the quants ive heard of come have math or stats degrees.

the role as a quant isnt as secure as say an actuary as its R & D work - its the first thing that comes under the chop when firms "restructure" and cut costs. however, im sure it is more exciting.

NB to everyone! BSc (Adv Sci) is a good backdoor into BCom if you manage to get a transfer - just do all the 1st yr comemrce subjects in 1st yr rather than following the recommended plan.

Arkad

HSC
5? Now that is an amazing number.

I still trusts my judgement with adv sci, but the gen ed is quite annoying to have, I need more freedom.

Yeah actuary works for insurance so of course they must be more secure, they are practically all insured for life!

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Arkad said:
5? Now that is an amazing number.

I still trusts my judgement with adv sci, but the gen ed is quite annoying to have, I need more freedom.

Yeah actuary works for insurance so of course they must be more secure, they are practically all insured for life!
its such a low number cz ppl are doing actuarial/maths in bcom/bsc

i strong suggest u substitute the gened for another 6uoc subject in commerce. i recommend econ2112 game theory and business strategy or econ2101? micro2.

Arkad

HSC
§eraphim said:
i strong suggest u substitute the gened for another 6uoc subject in commerce. i recommend econ2112 game theory and business strategy or econ2101? micro2.
But I thought I can't do that, I will try anyways.

maserativ8

HSC
Wow this is a great thread! Yeh I'm interested in doing BCom (Finance) / BSc (Mathematics) as well. How you guys finding this course, in particular the Maths part ? :confused:

Also, do you think the this combined degree is better than that new Quantitative Risk course? Personally, I'm really keen in finance so I'll probably end up doing the combined degree so I can take more finance units.

So is this combined degree good (or the best possible) preparation for a derivatives trading role at a large investment banK like Goldman Sachs, Deutsch Bank, UBS etc ? What other programs would be good in pursuing this type of role, and how do they compare to this program.

Thanks, guys

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
maserativ8 said:
Wow this is a great thread! Yeh I'm interested in doing BCom (Finance) / BSc (Mathematics) as well. How you guys finding this course, in particular the Maths part ? :confused:

Also, do you think the this combined degree is better than that new Quantitative Risk course? Personally, I'm really keen in finance so I'll probably end up doing the combined degree so I can take more finance units.

So is this combined degree good (or the best possible) preparation for a derivatives trading role at a large investment banK like Goldman Sachs, Deutsch Bank, UBS etc ? What other programs would be good in pursuing this type of role, and how do they compare to this program.

Thanks, guys
Maths courses are better than Finance. It pays off to do more Maths as finance can be picked up quite easily.

If you want to do risk mgmt, my advice is to do Actuarial Studies/Maths and do the Quantitative Risk course as an elective. Also, you can only do QRas part of the (single) Advanced Science degree.

Last edited:

maserativ8

HSC
It is a suitable preparation. Not the best. The best is what you enjoy and do well in (provided its quantitative)
I enjoy finance and maths so hopefully it will be the best for me. :)

Maths courses are better than Finance. It pays off to do more Maths as finance can be picked up quite easily.

If you want to do risk mgmt, my advice is to do Actuarial Studies/Maths and do the Quantitative Risk course as an elective. Also, you can only do QRas part of the (single) Advanced Science degree.
Ok, thanks for the advice about maths vs finance. I'll stick with BCom (Finance) / BSc (Mathematics) and do more Maths units, as I'm not really interested in risk management. Is there any way you can do Finance/Mathematics/Computer Science?

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
maserativ8 said:
Ok, thanks for the advice about maths vs finance. I'll stick with BCom (Finance) / BSc (Mathematics) and do more Maths units, as I'm not really interested in risk management. Is there any way you can do Finance/Mathematics/Computer Science?
No, it won't fit (I've looked already). If you do 1st yr comp that should be a sufficient intro.

maserativ8

HSC
Ok, thanks.
1 More thing: For BCom(Finance)/BSc(Maths) do you have to do MATH1151 for a finance major. Can you do MATH1131 or MATH1141 instead? Like is MATH1151 for students majoring in both Actuarial Studies AND Finance or just majoring in Actuarial Studies OR Finance?
Thanks

Affinity

HSC
1.you should do 1151 for that
2.as far as I know you can even do 1131 instead
3.they are almost the same anyway. 1131/41 teaches maple instead of matlab and topics in different orders

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Neuroscience would be beautiful.
I would drop medsci without hesitation for entry into bsciadvinneuroscienceattheuniversityofnewsouthwales

heywtfmy
space
key
has
broken
lol
seriously
dam
lololol
bugger

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lmao! hhaha i was wondering why your post starting getting quirky!

A couple of my friends are majoring in Neuro. Lol the Pre-req courses in 2nd year like Biochemistry BIOC2101 is a killer though, be prepared to just memorise and regurgitate the stuff in your exams.

Also, this major requires lots of Psychology courses which is pretty bull...not much real hardcore science in it.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the good thing about learning about matlab early is that you'll use it a lot later on, as opposed to maple.

if you're interested in doing financial maths stuff do more stats courses. it's more applicable to finance as opposed to doing pure maths units.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Matlab is okay for numerical computing, but it gets very slow for large scale applications (Fortran is much better). Maple is pretty useful for long tedious algebra.

Actually, analysis and probability theory (which are pure math subjects) are essential to tackle stochastic calculus and financial maths.

watthedam

Liberator
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Those microbiology, biochem etc. are for Second and later years to pick for the area that you want to specilise, or major, in. The 4th honours year is a research project carried out on your major area. For example, if you majored in microbiology in the third year, you do a microbiology project for your honours.

It's a great degree. You get to do advanced subjects and if you're good enough, you get invited for a small project in the third year (not the 4th year one).

In your first year, you do basic science subjects (like in most universities). i.e. biology, chemistry, physics, maths, depends on what you want to major in later in your program.

I hope this helps.
What can you do as post grad study? And why do ppl do it?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
watthedam said:
What can you do as post grad study? And why do ppl do it?
A lot of students do a PhD and start a career in scientific research. After the PhD they can get a job as a post-doctoral scientist.

People do it because it is the only way to go on and become an academic if you wish. And PhD is the mimimum qualification if you want to be employed as a post-doc and from there become a leading scientist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)