• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Science/Commerce @ UNSW / USyd (1 Viewer)

nguyentech

HSC
I'm considering doing the double degree course.

My question regards to why the same degree at UNSW is 4 years whereas at USyd it's 5 years.

UNSW more intense workload? USyd spread over longer time span?

Thanks..

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
nguyentech said:
I'm considering doing the double degree course.

My question regards to why the same degree at UNSW is 4 years whereas at USyd it's 5 years.

UNSW more intense workload? USyd spread over longer time span?

Thanks..
At Usyd u can get four majors (two for science) and two for commerce. UNSW only allows for one major in each degree.

chickenntaters

Ultimate said:
At Usyd u can get four majors (two for science) and two for commerce. UNSW only allows for one major in each degree.
Do you have to do 4 majors though?... If you choose just to do 1 major for each degree would it still take 5 years?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
whats the definition of a separate major at usyd? is it 7 courses? cz im wondering how it fits

Generator

HSC
N/A
It varies with the faculty (and at times the unit, too). A typical Science major involves 24 senior (third year) credit points following the relevant second year units, yet an Arts major involves 32 senior (second and third year) credit points. As for Economics and Business majors... Just like Science, I think.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
chickenntaters said:
Do you have to do 4 majors though?... If you choose just to do 1 major for each degree would it still take 5 years?
No u don't have to do 4 majors. U can choose to do only 1 major for each degree but it would still take 5 years because u need to have a certain number of credit points (240 i think for science/commerce). The other credit points would then need to be filled form other faculties like arts etc, or science or comm.

chickenntaters

In this combined degree do you do the B Science subjects first in the first few years, then the B Commerce subjects, or are they done at the same time?

doe

HSC
N/A
at macuni it is up to you when you take the subjects.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
llamalope said:
i kno this is probably going 2 b a dumb question, but for this course does anybody know how many hrs per week it is for either Usyd or UNSW? Just asking cause I have a casual job, and i just want a rough indication
Science/Commerce is about 15/16 hours a week at UNSW, depending on subject choice. Unsure about USyd.

Difference is that Com/Sci @ UNSW is 192 CP and @ USyd its 240 CP (hence 4 v 5 yrs)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
llamalope said:
i kno this is probably going 2 b a dumb question, but for this course does anybody know how many hrs per week it is for either Usyd or UNSW? Just asking cause I have a casual job, and i just want a rough indication
For me it was about 22 hours per week (sci/comm at Usyd). U do more science subjects in your first 3 years than comm, get your sci degree, and spend the last two years getting a double major in comm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)