Science degree at Uni. (1 Viewer)

NizDiz

HSC
Hi guys, just wondering what I would do in a first year Science degree, like subjects (core), as I can't find it on any Uni pages and elsewhere. Does it depend on selected major? Also, does doing a double degree make a difference?, and is it different from Uni. to Uni.?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/science/undergraduate/b_science/b_science_sample.shtml
http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/current-students/undergraduate-program-guides-science

Generally, every student doing a B. Sci must do some units of maths but aside from that, the majors you choose to do determine what units you complete during the duration of your degree.

A double degree shouldn't change anything but you have to remember that there are intermediate and senior units of study which have pre-requisites (i.e junior units). With this in mind, you can structure your degree anyway you like provided that you both meet the requirements for graduation and the requirements to enrol in a particular unit.

It does differ between universities though. UNSW has general electives which are compulsory from what I understand, and MQ has something similar. It's worth having a look at their websites for more information.

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
Unless things have changed a lot, you do chemistry , physics, mathematics and biology all year. whether that 2 x semester courses or 1x whole year course depending in the uni. They were pretty much all the same for everyone, although you can do easier courses if you don't need that subject for anything in later years. So if you are majoring in a biology subject, you might not do physics 101 but instead do physics for life sciences.
In my experience they assume you've done physics, chemistry and 2 unit maths in the hsc, but the biology started from year 10 knowledge.

I think you have a bit more flexibility these days ie able to do some second year electives in first year but I'm sure most people follow the standard pattern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)