Science/Math graduates and jobs (1 Viewer)

kakuna

HSC
N/A
So, I've been reading a lot these holidays (excellent use of time, I know) about the different degrees and careers and generally procrastinating. But I came across this post which was quite interesting.

http://whrl.pl/RcBOky

My question is, how "true", I suppose, are the views expressed in it? If it would be as easy for a math major as it is for a commerce/finance student to get a job in these areas, then that's a great thing for me. But there's still people saying "oh maths lol have fun finding a job"

Is there anyone here with experience in such matters? Obviously it would be nice to have more than one post agreeing with this notion.

Thanks in advance!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Indeed, it is quite difficult for somebody with just a Bachelor of Science to immediately gain a job. Usually, something must be done in order to differentiate yourself from the rest of the cohort. For example, a student with a BSc(Hons) versus just a BSc, would be seen with higher regard.

When you do the Bachelor of Science, you can choose to 'Major' in a subject. So if you were looking for a commerce/finance related job, then a suitable major would be "Financial Mathematics" like in here: http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/ND/FM/

Regarding employment prospects, that is difficult to say. It really depends on what the employer is looking for. If the employer is looking for a person more knowledgeable with Finance as a concept, then maybe a Bachelor of Commerce is more suitable. If the employer is looking for a more technical person, then the BSc may be more preferable.

However, getting a job or not is entirely UP TO YOU.

It is your responsibility to network early and to acquire contacts etc. That will have far more of an effect than simply the name of your degree, since the majority of the stuff you learn at Uni is not going to be used at your workplace.

kakuna

HSC
N/A
I do agree with your point that it is really up to yourself to branch out and not just to think that your degree will get/not get you a job. Thanks for that. But I was interested especially in the part where the poster kinda said that having a Science degree majoring in maths/stats would NOT be disadvantaged in applying for a corporate job then, say, a pure Commerce/Finance degree. Cause it does sound like he's saying that it might be as equally good, or perhaps even BETTER with maths/stats rather than commerce.

"Many companies now realise you have to train all graduates from scratch anyway and thus it is best to hire those that are smart, switch on, have people skills and appear motivated than those that just have a degree that might be related in some way to the discipline.
Being a manager now at the company I work for – I can tell you that employers love students with Science degrees. For the past few years and looking towards the future – the students that have been in highest demand are those with statistical and mathematical backgrounds... it certainly won't hurt your prospects.."

Would you be disadvantaged in the actual "work" you do, if you only did a math degree? As in, when working in one of the Big 4 or a consultancy firm? I don't know much about the breakdown of courses, so sorry if there's some basic stuff which I might not understand, but I assume you would do different units comparing B Science (math/stats) and B Commerce (or similar).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I do agree with your point that it is really up to yourself to branch out and not just to think that your degree will get/not get you a job. Thanks for that. But I was interested especially in the part where the poster kinda said that having a Science degree majoring in maths/stats would NOT be disadvantaged in applying for a corporate job then, say, a pure Commerce/Finance degree. Cause it does sound like he's saying that it might be as equally good, or perhaps even BETTER with maths/stats rather than commerce.

"Many companies now realise you have to train all graduates from scratch anyway and thus it is best to hire those that are smart, switch on, have people skills and appear motivated than those that just have a degree that might be related in some way to the discipline.
Being a manager now at the company I work for – I can tell you that employers love students with Science degrees. For the past few years and looking towards the future – the students that have been in highest demand are those with statistical and mathematical backgrounds... it certainly won't hurt your prospects.."

Would you be disadvantaged in the actual "work" you do, if you only did a math degree? As in, when working in one of the Big 4 or a consultancy firm? I don't know much about the breakdown of courses, so sorry if there's some basic stuff which I might not understand, but I assume you would do different units comparing B Science (math/stats) and B Commerce (or similar).
You would not be disadvantaged, and this is because like that person said, the new employees are basically 'trained from scratch'. If anything, the individual with the Mathematics degree would be at a more advantageous position due to the simple fact that a Mathematics degree really hones your problem solving skills: something valuable in the workforce.

Thus when put up against a person with a pure Commerce/Finance degree, they will most likely be able to catch on a bit quicker and apply their knowledge more easily and hence (to answer your question), would not be disadvantaged in the "work" that they do. However, this is not to say that doing the Math major automatically guarantees you good problem solving skills. This is something you must develop by yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)