Science path V.S Commerce path ....lol (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm still sorta considering my uni preferences and I have heard many things from other people. Just wondering, is it true that doing science degrees= low job employment and crap pay? lol ( rumour) and that doing commerce= LOTS of jobs with $$$$$$

EdmondDW

HSC
I think it depends on if u r really interested in science research, and if u have enough time and determination to finish ur PHD degree...
Otherwise commerce is really a shortcut for job and money...but be careful with the economic crisis~~~~:read:

piitb

HSC
just depends... good grades in both can get u a good job.

for science you may want to get into a degree that leads into a profession such as medicine, dentistry, optometry and pharmacy...

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
Everyone thinks they will go into commerce and get big big $$$$$$$$$ but that is not the case. Commerce degrees are overcrowded and whilst some do reap the financial benefits that are present in the sector, the rest end up becoming lifelong paper pusher. Go into commerce if that's what you are interested in but don't think you are guaranteed a big salary. I began uni doing a law/commerce double (felt pressured to do it by family) and realised the paper pushing potential within weeks. I switched to mining engineering (not because of the money, that's just a bonus) but I was interested in it. So if you are more interested in science, do that.

Affinity

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Hey guys,
I'm still sorta considering my uni preferences and I have heard many things from other people. Just wondering, is it true that doing science degrees= low job employment and crap pay? lol ( rumour) and that doing commerce= LOTS of jobs with $$$$$$
both have crap pay...

what is fashionable/good now might not be in 3 years time... do something you are good at (relative to others).

Wilko2564

HSC
Wouldn't you rather take pride in what you do rather than selling out to what could earn your more money. Do what you enjoy

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Science path V.S Commerce path ....lol

hello,
i am asian with uai 95+ therefore i must do commerce because nothing to do i like easy money and go to skoo 3 day A WEKK
also i like da hoes there many of them

Last edited:

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
if your not sure then combine the two degrees.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
People would tell you to take the path your gut is telling you to take. And I strongly agree.

On a personal thought, I think its easier to change from science to commerce than commerce to science when you change your mind.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Major in anything mining related e.g. earth sciences, geology, and live forever.

Miner

HSC
Graney said:
Major in anything mining related e.g. earth sciences, geology, and live forever.
No-one lives forever, especially in the mining industry. Despite well known shortages, the major players are very picky about who they employ, and very quick to get rid of those that make mistakes or those they no longer want.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Graney said:
Rio Tinto cut like 14000 jobs recently...

Bottom Line: just do what you like or are good at....

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
Only do mining related fields if you are interested in the subject at hand. You will not survive the remote locations and harsher conditions if you are merely there for the money. I have witnessed a few people switch from mining engineering to civil engineering because they couldn't stand the conditions on the field trip (i.e their hair got messed up under a hard hat, couldn't buy a double decaf latte at the local petrol station etc), so money can't sustain everything. Besides a major company like BHP Billiton or OZ Minerals will employ a passionate engineer or geologist over an apathetic money whore. During the field trip, many people asked about graduate salaries and you could see how annoyed the mining companies were.

xoa

HSC
I had a short stint in a science degree, and my highly qualified lab tutors spent a fair bit of time bitching about not finding proper jobs. If you study science with the intention of becoming a white coat wearing scientist, your path won't be easy. Not surprising really, considering our low expenditure on R&D, and stone-age economic structure.

The path for Australian commerce graduates is far better defined.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
xoa said:
I had a short stint in a science degree, and my highly qualified lab tutors spent a fair bit of time bitching about not finding proper jobs. If you study science with the intention of becoming a white coat wearing scientist, your path won't be easy. Not surprising really, considering our low expenditure on R&D, and stone-age economic structure.

The path for Australian commerce graduates is far better defined.
a commerce degree will be like the psychology major in a few years time - even the cleaning lady has one.

BeeCom

HSC
lionking1191 said:
a commerce degree will be like the psychology major in a few years time - even the cleaning lady has one.
Lol why don't you go fuck your self? That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lionking1191 said:
Says the person who has just finished his HSC.

Commerce degrees open up a lot of options to you in life which are only available to those who enjoy what they do/work hard. Just because there's a larger influx of commerce students doesn't mean that it'll be like a psych major (wtf @ comparing a degree to a major). There WILL still be people who have a passion for architecture, phsyio, food science, etc etc and will go into those areas of work.

xoa

HSC
lionking1191 said:
Maybe, but it'll be a long time before graduate accountants need a PhD and research experience. That's how it is in science already. There may be a glut of commerce graduates, but there'll probably be a glut of jobs in the expanding bureaucracies too.

08er

HSC
BeeCom said:
Lol why don't you go fuck your self? That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums.
hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)