Science Subjects (1 Viewer)

mohdateeq

HSC
I was wondering if someone here choose all science subjects and wat they got for their HSC Results and UAI?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I didn't choose all science subjects but I did biology and thorougly enjoyed it....whoever claims that biology isn't a real science imo is ignorant. It was enjoyable (for me however some people find it tediously boring lol), and dealt with a lot of scientific issues that the media and common society present as wrong. Examples are surrounding the ideas of darwinism and natural selection, and much to do with the search for better health topic concerning immunology etc.

Don't go choosing your subjects by what UAI you think you can achieve. A good UAI doesn't depend on what subjects you choose, but more so on what you put in to each subject.

hopeless idiot

HSC
lol, I took all the sciences as well as ext 2 maths and ppl thought i was crazy. but it turned out ok, 3 band 6s n 3 band 5s. didn't do as well in my bio as i had hoped tho....thought i'd get a band 6 at least....*shrugs*

Bio: 88, Phy: 83, Chem: 90
UAI: 99.00

HSC
I did bio and chem i got mid band 5s in both and recieved a UAI of 93.4 :D

(PS: only did 2 unit maths, adv eng, eco, SOR I)

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
As far as I know you can't do all sciences, you are only allowed to do 6 units of science that go towards your UAI.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Sprinkles~ said:
As far as I know you can't do all sciences, you are only allowed to do 6 units of science that go towards your UAI.
:\ How many sciences are there then??

tennille

HSC
Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Senior Science. As far as I know, if you do Senior Science, you can't do any other science, but I'm not sure if this is completely true.

Lavenderpup

HSC
there's biology, physics and chemistry which are usually chosen, but there's also senior science and earth and environmental science too xD [of course..those two don't allow you to pick other sciences unless you dropped down *shrug*]

but the bio, chem and phys combo usually gets referred to as all the sciences

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Tennille said:
Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Senior Science. As far as I know, if you do Senior Science, you can't do any other science, but I'm not sure if this is completely true.
I think that in Year 11 you might not be able to do Senior Science and any other science together, but in Year 12 you're allowed to pick it up or switch to it from chem or bio etc.

I would avoid doing Senior Science if you can as it drags down your UAI and its so boring.

nic56

Sheep Station (farm 4city ppl) 50 km NW of Wentwor
HSC
I had a friend who did biology, chemistry and physics in year 12 though didnt recieve such a good uai. She also did 2 unit maths.
The only science i did was biology and really enjoyed it. I recieved a better UAI that my friend with only completeing one science. Any of the students with top UAI's at my school completed atleast one science if not 2.

DayOT

HSC
ari89 said:
I didn't choose all science subjects but I did biology and thorougly enjoyed it....whoever claims that biology isn't a real science imo is ignorant.
People consider Biology a less rigorous science because a) the majority of students who do it (and do well in it) are female, and b) a lot of 'humanities' people do it.

HSC
Biology definately is a science, it might be less complicated as chem with formulas etc but it does require alot of memorising facts and information in order to understand concepts.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
drynxz said:
does agriculture count as a science?
it could. i don't know for sure. i'm pretty sure it's not a science for the purposes of the HSC though.

i only did Biology (and yes i'm a female humanities person lol) - but it IS definitely a real, valid science subject and anyone who looks down on it just because it isn't as hard/technical/involved as physics or chem is a noob.
we weren't actually allowed to do alll 3 sciences at my school, they put bio and physics on the same line so you had to choose, not do both with chem.

Bijs

HSC
I did all three sciences and 3 unit maths. My biggest regret is not dropping biology after yr 11. I think if i did I would have performed better in other subjects. My UAI was ~93. If you do take all three sciences to make up your 12 units for prelim (as i did) and you enjoy physics and chemistry, DROP BIOLOGY, IT SUCKS!!

My advice: take all sciences in yr 11 if you must, but if you find biology to be boring and you marks are about even in all three, DROP bio!!!

DayOT

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
it could. i don't know for sure. i'm pretty sure it's not a science for the purposes of the HSC though.

i only did Biology (and yes i'm a female humanities person lol) - but it IS definitely a real, valid science subject and anyone who looks down on it just because it isn't as hard/technical/involved as physics or chem is a noob.
Bijs said:
DROP BIOLOGY, IT SUCKS!!
I think HSC Biology gives people the wrong impression, ie Bio = memorising. Then again, that applies to most HSC subjects. You definitely have to think more synergistically in Bio--no formulas, if you like (perhaps that's what Phys people can't get over).

But yeah, if marks/enjoyment/all things being equal in 3 sciences, Bio scales down.. =\

P

pLuvia

PrettyVacant said:
:\ How many sciences are there then??
There's also Earth and Environmental Science :p But that's not very popular

And what Tennille says is true if you choose Senior Science you can't do any of the other sciences

hopeless idiot

HSC
DayOT said:
I think HSC Biology gives people the wrong impression, ie Bio = memorising. =\
i agree with that.....bio isn't necessarily memorising stuff, i certainly didn't do that too much. There're no formulas in bio, which i liked, and added to the fact that it was easier in the sense that i could remember most of the material once the teacher taught it, so i didn't put that much work into it.....

anyway, i took the three main sciences (physics, chem and bio) and i don't regret that one bit since they all relate to one another in some way so that helped quite a bit. most people in my school take only one or two sciences though. mostly physics and chem, so my bio class was really small (less than people than our maths extension 2 class, seriously!!) so, it's good unless you start getting confused, which thankfully didn't happen to me!

HSC
I was one of those physics and chem people. I didn't pick bio because it was a huge bore in year 10.

pLuvia said:
There's also Earth and Environmental Science :p But that's not very popular

And what Tennille says is true if you choose Senior Science you can't do any of the other sciences
Yeah that is true. Apparently senior science is as if you were continuing what you studied in Year 10. Wouldnt know for sure thats just what I heard...They dont even offer it at my school. hahahaha mustn't be worth studying :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)