Scipio Africanus Help??? (1 Viewer)

Langrepa

Patrick
HSC
Does anyone know what Scipio Africanus' "attitudes and policies to the Greek East" were, or what it is actually referring to?

Is the question referring to his attitude to the Greek East's customs, lifestyle and influence or is it relating to the Wars in the Greek East and his attitude to Hannibal/Antiochus and the military policies he held???

Any ideas?

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
these are my notes from last year on scipio and his attitudes to the west (or you can click the link just there for my notes on scipio - bit easier to read)

Wars in the East – attitudes and policies towards the Greek East

Macedonian Wars and Rome
 Since 215BC – Rome had been fighting in Greece against Macedonian King Philip V
 First Macedonian War
o 210BC – Romans maintained fleet in Adriatic
o Aetolians made peace with Philip Rome attempted to prolong war – found little cooperation
o Peace was reached in 205BC
 Second Macedonian War
o Rome makes alliance with several Greek states
o Ultimately ended with Rome becoming involved in the 2nd Macedonian war
o Philip not stopped being interested in conquest – only changed focus of his interest
o Roman general Qunictius Flamminius defeated Philip at the Battle of Cynoscephalae – proclaiming freedom of Greeks
 Flamminius
o Success made him very popular
o Remained in Greece for many years after the war – organizing system of alliances and making war on the Spartans
o When time came and needed someone to head military campaign to Macedonia – senate turned toward Flamminius rather then Scipio

Scipio 2nd Consulship
 196BC – Hannibal elected suffet Carthage – allied with Antiochus
 Scipio wanted 2nd Consulship – to down ambitions of Antiochus
 194BC – Scipio 2nd Consulship – lead Roman troops to Nrth Italy –
o Scipio desired to use strength against Antiochus – “one party – that sharing Scipio’s view preferred to negotiation from a position of strength” – Badian
o Cato wanted a diplomatic solution
 Consul elections held earlier due to split within senate
 Cato won consulship
 Scipio recovers consulship during battle of Thermopylae where his aggressive policy won victory
 190 Lucus Scipio (bro) elected consul – provided Scipio with power allowed finish war against Antiochus
 190BC – Scipio serves as tactical advisor to brother against Antiochus
 Defeat of Antiochus brought triumph to Scipio brothers

yeah from what i can gather ( i really thought this syllubus point was somewhat ambigious) it just means is attitudes towards the wars in the west and how Rome should approach its domination of the west

Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)