Screw HSC markers (1 Viewer)

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Imagine a marker with 200 papers or so to be marked.

By the time they're finished with the 3rd or so, they'd already be extremely bored.

Now, we all know that papers only get seen once. Often in extended responses in subjects such as science, there may be a few questions that they just glimpse over, and end up missing a few points. That will take away your precious marks.

Whose fault is it? No-one?

WRONG!

It's entirely the fault of the HSC markers. Yes, I understand that they had been really stressed and tired. But wait, think about other professions, such as a doctor for example. They sit in their office all day, they hear the same complaints from their patients, but do they recklessly diagnose you with leukaemia or AIDS? Of course not! It's because it's their responsiblity as a doctor.

Markers, it's your career! Your job! Your responsiblity! Who the hell cares if you've been sitting there all night? It's your job, and you're paid to do it.

As for the pay...Hm? Pay is low? Well guess what I'm gonna say.
YOU KNEW DAMN WELL HOW WELL THE PAY IS BEFORE YOU BECAME A TEACHER.
What would the world become if all the hygiene-keeping workers of the world decided they wanted to have a strike?

Now instead of having industrial actions and wasting the precious time of HSC students, or screwing up students' exams because they felt sleepy, how about you GET A GRASP OF REALITY, and ACCEPT that you CHOSE your path as a teacher, and do your jobs PROPERLY?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
minijumbuk said:
Imagine a marker with 200 papers or so to be marked.

By the time they're finished with the 3rd or so, they'd already be extremely bored.

Now, we all know that papers only get seen once. Often in extended responses in subjects such as science, there may be a few questions that they just glimpse over, and end up missing a few points. That will take away your precious marks.

Whose fault is it? No-one?

WRONG!

It's entirely the fault of the HSC markers. Yes, I understand that they had been really stressed and tired. But wait, think about other professions, such as a doctor for example. They sit in their office all day, they hear the same complaints from their patients, but do they recklessly diagnose you with leukaemia or AIDS? Of course not! It's because it's their responsiblity as a doctor.

Markers, it's your career! Your job! Your responsiblity! Who the hell cares if you've been sitting there all night? It's your job, and you're paid to do it.

As for the pay...Hm? Pay is low? Well guess what I'm gonna say.
YOU KNEW DAMN WELL HOW WELL THE PAY IS BEFORE YOU BECAME A TEACHER.
What would the world become if all the hygiene-keeping workers of the world decided they wanted to have a strike?

Now instead of having industrial actions and wasting the precious time of HSC students, or screwing up students' exams because they felt sleepy, how about you GET A GRASP OF REALITY, and ACCEPT that you CHOSE your path as a teacher, and do your jobs PROPERLY?
To whom is this directed at?

I agree with the above post. HSC markers have a responsibility to do their work no matter how difficult it is and I would like to believe that they are doing a decent job.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
For English papers only.
It's for every paper. The marker marks it, and then another marker is given the same paper to mark it. Then I think the senior marker/coordinator marks it again. Thats what I've been told :confused:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
There may still be some mistakes in the marking. They're not gonna check it as careful as you do yourself. Have you ever got your paper back, and picked up a few points where they took off you?

I mean... In so many of my papers, I can get extra marks for things teachers left out. If they make mistakes for such a little number of students (say 70 for a subject), what are the chances that they're going to mark the tests perfectly for over 200 times?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
minijumbuk said:
There may still be some mistakes in the marking. They're not gonna check it as careful as you do yourself. Have you ever got your paper back, and picked up a few points where they took off you?

I mean... In so many of my papers, I can get extra marks for things teachers left out. If they make mistakes for such a little number of students (say 70 for a subject), what are the chances that they're going to mark the tests perfectly for over 200 times?
So do you reckon many people would be better off if their HSC papers go through remarking scheme?

undalay

HSC
I think u should "get a grasp of reality" and accept this fact :]

Kujah

HSC
N/A
So what do you propose? Even if you aint satisfied with your mark, you're able to pay ($20~ I think) to get it remarked.

undalay

HSC
It isnt a remark as a such Kujah, but rather they check for clerical errors, i.e. typed ur marks wrong into the computer.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Well what I have to say is in regards to maths. I'm not so sure about the other subjects.

Well what I've heard from an actual senior marker is that the senior marker marks 10 or so papers from that batch, without the other markers knowledge of which ones. A marker then marks it and if too many marks do not align with the senior markers then they must remark that batch again till they are contempt with the marks given. And I THINK that if the marks do not align with the senior markers repeatedly, then they must review the overall marking.

If they do actually do this, I believe it's a good system and totally works.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
undalay said:
It isnt a remark as a such Kujah, but rather they check for clerical errors, i.e. typed ur marks wrong into the computer.
I am quite taken aback by that statement! Are you serious?
I thought we were getting our papers remarked if you pay like 20 dollars.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
undalay said:
Well, I worded it wrong my bad, but yeah, you get what I mean (I hope).

HSC
minijumbuk said:

Nothing is PERFECT. HSC markers always take their time and mark fairly. For some reason you seem to think that markers don't do this. Are you getting this impression from work marked by your school teachers ? Obviously they mark it similar to how you would be marked in the HSC, but in reality they don't have the resources HSC markers do to mark it as close to perfect as you'd like.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Obviously they mark it similar to how you would be marked in the HSC.
They always say they are doing that, and also always say that you don't get half marks in the HSC... yet they still mark with half marks and it's apparently how they are marked for it.

Bleh.
I couldn't really care.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Man, I haven't visited the Cyanide and Happiness website for ages.
Used to love them.
I'm not sure if it is actually one of theirs, or someone who tried to make it look like it. That was someones Bebo skin once, so stole it from there.

I have Kris Wilson (The dude who does Cyanide and Happiness) on my watchlist on DA. Did you know he's like 19?

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I'm just pissed that they make so many mistakes in the marking schemes. I don't know what's happening at the HSC marking centre, but I'm pissed as hell when I got my half-yearlies back. There were so many careless things going on, that if I didn't get to look at it again, I would've lost a few marks, which would've made me drop a few ranks already. They even add up the marks wrong.

I don't know, I guess I'm too obsessed with fairness...But then again, life is never fai =\

I remember once getting my maths paper back for our first year 12 assessment... I gained a mark which I shouldn't have gotten, and I gave it up voluntarily. I just can't pretend nothing happened =\
Haha, luckily my honesty was rewarded. That mistake I did led to me gaining 2 extra marks in the questions afterwards, as CFMs... What goes around comes around =)
I heard this saying "Honest people see others as honest", but that's a load of bullshit. I think it might work for "dishonest people see others as dishonest", as I think I am fairly honest, however disappointingly seeing loads of people who would see my honesty as stupidity =\

Drifting a bit off-topic...

ANYWAY

My English teacher even said to the class that in HSC marking, teachers would basically skim through essays to look for keywords. She demonstrated it once, holding a piece of paper and tracing it with her fingers, then flipped the page after like 5 seconds.

If that's true, the English markers may as well get fired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)