• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SDD "Last Minute" Questions (1 Viewer)

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
I think it does a linear search and finds 18 to be the largest value, thus it is moved to the end. The same process happens for 17 and thats moved to the 2nd last position. I think it's something like that. Oh and by looking at the numbers i guess the numbers swap positions. But then again im pretty sure im completely wrong so i guess you should disregard this post.

ZzJasonzZ

Seraph said:
17 9 12 18 2 6 14

take a look at these nubmers , after 2 passess of an ascending insertion sort apaprently the array appears

2 9 12 14 6 17 18

why is this so? i know how these work , im just nto seeing it here?

It looks like the numbers should be 17 - 9 - 12 - 18 - 6 - 2 - 14

in which case it is a selection sort as it has found the biggest number first (18) and swapped that with 14 then swapped the 17 with the two...

ZzJasonzZ

I know a Customised off the Shelf Package (COTS) is when there is an application available that does most of the required functions but doesnt meet the needs exactly.. but can someone please give some examples of some for me :)

neuro_logik

HSC
Insertion sort

17 9 12 18 2 6 14|

17 9 12 18 2 6 | 14 /* places the most right hand value in sorted section */

17 9 12 18 2 6 | 14 /* compare 6 > 14 = false */

17 9 12 18 2 | 6 14 /* places 6 in the sorted section */

17 9 12 18 2 | 6 14 /* compare (2 > 6) AND (2 > 14) */

17 9 12 18 | 2 6 14

and so on....

A selection would divide it into sorted and unsorted and find the largest number in the unsorted section and place it in the sorted section, then do comparisons to sort the values

Last edited:

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
ZzJasonzZ said:
I know a Customised off the Shelf Package (COTS) is when there is an application available that does most of the required functions but doesnt meet the needs exactly.. but can someone please give some examples of some for me :)
I think COTS packages have like generic functions so it may need exactly meet the needs of the user

woops i should stop posting, i misread the q. please delete this post

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
Selection Sort (Ascending order-smallest to biggest)

17-9-12-18-2-6-14 //2 with 17

2- 9-12-18-17-6-14 //6 with 9

2-6-12-18-17-9-14 //9 with 12

2-6-9-18-17-12-14 //12 with 18

2-6-9-12-17-18-14 //14 with 17

2-6-9-12-14-18-17 //17 with 18

2-6-9-12-14-17-18 //Final

neuro_logik

HSC
menty said:
For an INSERTION SORT, do u declare the last element or the first element in the array sorted?
Yep, depends on how you do it, I always say the further right value is placed in the sorted section

Last edited:

JayWalker

HSC
menty said:
For an INSERTION SORT, do u declare the last element or the first element in the array sorted?
You can use either really. It depends which way you wish to structure your sorting process.
If you declare the last element, then your temp array index will keep decrementing until it reaches the start of the array [index = 0]

If you declare the first element, then your temporary array index will go up until it reaches the end of the array..

JayWalker

HSC
It is a personal choice... Just like which day of the week is the begging, some say Moday, others say Sunday...

They are both right, its just up to your preference

[Sunny: this is not a commet it is a way for him to remember and an alternate way to present an idea]

JayWalker

HSC
menty said:
so how do u know which one to use. Excel starts from the back. Samdavis starts from the front....

(also, is it front or abck fore SELECTION sort)
Ok this is so weird, I get part of the message, reply, then go back and see you've added more questions..

"also, is it front or abck fore SELECTION sort"

For SELECTION SORT it is also a personal prefernce, but I agree with Dragon, it is best to work from left to write, just easier to understand that way

sunny

meh.
HSC
menty said:
Q: what is IN HOUSE software development and how is it diff from end user appraoch
In house refers to when a company's IT (or similar) department has the ability to develop the software themselves and they do, rather than outsourcing it.

edit:
This is different to end user, and this typically refers to a customer of a COTS package developing the solution for themselves in a small scale fashion - either RAD or prototying. In house development can still be done in a structured approach by the company's own development team.

You should use in house when the company itself has the resources to develop it themselves, this saves the cost of having to outsource.

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
ZzJasonzZ said:
Programs like Excel and Access can be classed as COTS. They have generic spreadsheet and database functions, but can be programmed further to create a specific application (for example, in VBA).

somborac

HSC
Can someone please tell the information about headers, body and trailers in streams of data and what they are. thanks

rainonmay

floating around
HSC
what would you essentially include in a data dictionary if they asked you to do one?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
crikey,
Headers. indicate the start of a block of data, they may specify how much data is to be transmitted, Header contain error Checking data.

Trailers "
indicate End of block of data, it helps the CPU to manage the data that it recives. Data for error checking may be included

Body: Will contain instructions that are to be processed by the CPU. If a muser moves a mouse across the screen, the horizontal and Vertical changes detected bey the sensors, would move the data sent recived by the computer

(( excel 2004 SDD hsc book ))

sunny

meh.
HSC
rainonmay said:
what would you essentially include in a data dictionary if they asked you to do one?
The variable name, the data type, sample data, description on what it is used for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)