SDD teacher (1 Viewer)

Mugensword

HSC
hi my teacher seems to be hopeless, when the class started he attempted to teach the class which I thought was going well then he started leaving class at the beginning or middle because some students who have all dropped out would talk etc. Now I find this quite annoying since I was told this subject is hard and I wanted to learn, but it just seems my teacher has no care at all about his students. All of the class failed the half yearlies and then he reviewed it with some students but alot of people in my small class (Wasnt so small when it began...) dont even now bother to turn up to class. I dont know what do, is there someone I can speak to? Principle?

Mugensword

HSC
Did I do something wrong or is just no one replying? Sorry if I have im a newbie at forums

HSC
You haven't done anything wrong, your just the only guy in the universe that does SDD.

Im doing it by correspondence, which is 1000000x worse because its impossible to get motivated to do it because it is death.

Im also failing, but im of the oppinion a dedicated student could learn the whole course from the excel book in a fortnight.

Round down, i got 7.4/20 and 11/11.

HSC
You couldn't do it in a fortnight, but you could do it fairly quickly. I suppose this subject is designed for independent learning. My teacher is the same... (are you in my class?:p) although he isn't quite as bad..

Legham

HSC
Mugensword said:
Did I do something wrong or is just no one replying? Sorry if I have im a newbie at forums
Don't expect too many replies in the software design forum, it's not a very popular one. My advice would be to start skipping as many software classes as possible and use the extra time to teach yourself the subject. It's really not a hard subject when you're on your own, the only problem is motivating yourself to do the work.

ricometa

HSC
its alright man, there are alot of ppl in the same position as you are u in yr11 or 12?
my class is mostly the same mate, itsa ll good

jus go buy the excel book and study that

HSC
i think overall bad teacher or not u must make the effort. the work is boring as hell dry but you need to try and imagine it in partical terms and if youre unsure of anything, wiki it and getting that extra info abotu something altho not needed will help u understand it better

problem with SDD is that its cut down version of a bigger picture, it includes boring shit only. (no real proper case scenarios imo for understandign the problem).

i learnt and studeid more than needed but it gave me a good overall understanding and pulled off an 88 in the hsc :) gl

miche11e

HSC
dude, my teacher comes in, teaches the same thing almost every lesson, and then gives us assessments. im teaching myself how to program in VB because he doesnt teach and also the theory stuff i have no idea about!!!
im not failing or anything, but i need to learn more before trials or im gonna die!!

Evilo

HSC
team up with someone who is good at the subject, learn the course together after school.

HSC
hi guys, my teacher was so crap too, you'd think that with only 3 of us in the class we might have learned something... nup, didn't happen, he'd draw diagrams on the board then take fotos of them coz he was so proud hahaha!!!
anyways, i just noticed you're all saying to get the excel book. I dont know if you know about it, but there is a multimedia CDrom, created by sam davis, same guy who wrote the decent text books for this subject, lol. Its great, its basically all I used for my SDD study and i was really happy when i got 80 for the subject.
Go to this link and have a look @ it. Its so easy to use, you can get questions from each topic at a time, or you can do them all at once.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/pedc/cd.htm
Give them a call 46327987. I think they usually give a discount if you ask too!!! honestly, its worth every cent. Whether u get the answer right or wrong, there is an explanation describing why that is the answer, so you are learning as you go!
anyways, let me know if you wanna know anything else about it, or give them a call.

HSC
Mugensword said:
he started leaving class at the beginning or middle because some students who have all dropped out would talk etc.
This part I particularly do not understand. What do you mean dropped out students would talk? If they dropped the subject they should not be in class? If they are not in class, then who gives a flying fuck what they say?

Anyway, get yourself an excel book, and maybe the SDD textbook which is more detailed.

I highly recommend you talk to the teacher. Teachers are there to teach - it's their job. Moreover, they teach probably because they like teaching or are good at it, and your teacher chose this area to teach. It is more than his job, but his responsibility and duty.

Moreover, what I'd like to say it, it can be very frustrating to teachers if a lot of the class drops out, does not listen, does not learn, does not want to make an effort.

One person such as yourself can easily get overshadowed by dumbasses who are doing it because they thought 'comp subject = play games'.

I suggest being vocal about everything to your teacher. When he asks any question, any quiz, etc - don't remain silent, make a guess, no matter how dumb. Make it known to him 100% that you want to put in every bit of effort into the subject, and he will appreciate this, and want to teach you.
With that, also talk to him directly, and tell him straight how you feel, and most importantly, explain to him that you do in fact want to learn, want to put in the effort, and that you would be glad if he taught you anything <== and careful when you say that, don't make put sarcastic significant on "glad", just make sure he knows that he needs to teach you.

Also, you can ask me any question about anything SDD (except diagrams lol). I didn't get as high of a mark as some n00bs here, but still for 94/100 for HSC.
MSN: stacraftmazter shift2 gmail.com

Don't drop SDD, it's an awesome subject :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

Deadly-Bagel

HSC
Wow. I love this subject. Well, yeah, I do have an awesome teacher. Not only great at teaching, but he knows a lot about everything SDD related and gives us 50% practical instead of the recommended 20%.

And I can tell you that if your teacher is not doing his job, then you have some problems. Either that or our teacher is exaggerating the difficulty of the subject so we study harder...Eh, I'm not complaining.

But make sure you read the whole textbook. I suspect very little of the exams will be actual coding, most of it will be recognising different types of languages, types of testing, algorithms, social and ethical issues, maybe a little history, etc. That's what the past exams our teacher has been giving us have been.

Foxodi

HSC
My teacher is also crap. The fact hes a total nerd, its a nerd-friendly course and almost all of my class is nerds, doesnt help (nerds are people with no future :p)

Prob the thing that is most annoying, is that he is far far too leniant on assessments. Which makes it nearly impossible for me to get ahead of the class because nearly everyone gets 90% + (and no, they werent deserved, as stated above these are nerds ... nerds fail school).

But, all you can do is teach it yourself (and yes, I also believe you can learn the course within a fortnight, with time left over to practice skills/code), and keep trying your best in assessments till the end! :)

--Lammy--

Bludger
HSC
I do SDD by correspondence and I've only met my teacher once. And crap as your teacher sounds, what others have been saying is true, the presence of a teacher should not determine your progress in the subject. I'm the only student in my school doing SDD so I work through it myself and as long as you have a textbook and the internet you can work it out.

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
My SDD teacher is a hippy. no joke. in his uni days he worked at a computer shop and learnt C#. from here he travels around to country and settles at our school where he teaches VB6 and cant get his head around VB.Net cause its so much more radically different. so to piss him of im programming my major in .NET

fjnpenguin

HSC
and yea she is a pretty good teacher.. only prob is that most guys get distracted by her looks lol, and therefore dont pay attention in class

fjnpenguin

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
cant take a pic.. this guy attempted to take a pic of her n she snapped. lol took tht dude to the principal dunno wht appened after tht

Hazaroth

HSC
haha fair nough reason not to take any pics then.
Our teacher knows his stuff, most of the time. Seems to ignore me quite often too. Although, that's most likely due to the fact that I irritate him constantly. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)