Second chances - life lesson more important than HSC (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A good reminder that the HSC is not the be all and end all. Keep it in perspective.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...nt-than-hsc-20121217-2bjc8.html#ixzz2FLFxvy9v

WHILE her former classmates were studying for their Higher School Certificate and anxiously awaiting their results, Sally Dowling was waitressing in cafes, acting in the theatre and working as a bookie's clerk at a racecourse.

Ms Dowling left North Sydney Girls High School at the beginning of year 11 after her marks ''went downhill''. After three years doing odd jobs she took herself off to TAFE to do her HSC. At 43, she is a successful Crown Prosecutor.[...]

madharris

HSC
N/A
Wow that's pretty amazing, thanks for sharing that! :)
However in saying that I'm still nervously waiting for my results (though that really is inevitable when you put so much pressure on yourself)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow that's pretty amazing, thanks for sharing that! :)
However in saying that I'm still nervously waiting for my results (though that really is inevitable when you put so much pressure on yourself)
Agreed, it's a strange path to success but it only shows that there are so many ways to succeed. I think everyone is going to be nervous about their results, at least, to some extent - as you said, it really is inevitable.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Look im very nervous atm but all i can do is tell myself that ive tried my best and that's all i could do. Even if the results arent what i want them to be, ive just got to accept them, and work with them - anyone can achieve what they want if they're willing to put in the hard work

eat_well

HSC
This article does comfort me a bit but it would kind of be nice to know that my hard work has paid off :/.

Aysce

HSC
This article does comfort me a bit but it would kind of be nice to know that my hard work has paid off :/.
Basically this but as seen through the article, it doesn't have a very significant bearing on your life since there are so many other pathways! As enoilgam said to me (summarised): "Look past the ATAR and appreciate the rewards of your journey throughout year 12 ie. Maturing, learning the value of hardwork and such".

Bobbo1

HSC
Excellent read, keep it in perspective guys. This goes to students getting the highest ATARs as much as the ones receiving ATARs below than expected.

Jabbz

HSC
Remember ATAR is just a number you have the rest of your life to succeed

funstudy

HSC
I just hate that there's so much hype around Year 12/HSC. Teachers/students/parents/friends- a lot of chatter on assignments/ranks/exams etc. If it weren't for the hype, I think many ppl wouldn't feel as much pressure- of course, even without the hype there would be a bit of pressure

HSC
Uni Grad
Although I'll have to admit that it's a lot more working hard now and getting into what you want to do in the first place, because sometimes if you try again and again it gets harder in difficulty level. (i.e. I tend to find getting into B commerce through ATAR much easier than transferring from course because uni is so difficult =_=')

That being said, for those who want a second chance into getting what they want to do, don't get complacent, ever. You'll need to work really hard and be passionate about what you are doing.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
There's always an alternative path, so chill :) speaking from experience.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
On the 21st of Dec: "It's only the HSC, it's not the end of world".

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Fantastic article. Remember the HSC is a necessity and ATARs a number, ultimately it's your determination, personality and leadership that'll make you successful. With these qualities you need not find success - success will find you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)