Second thoughts on my 07 Subbies (1 Viewer)

undalay

HSC
Okay so i'm doing 12 units in 07 consisting of:

3 units of Math, 3 units of English, Chemisty and Physics. (10 so far)
I also chose Software Development and Design.

I chose SDD initially because i liked programming, etc
But i'm having second thoughts because;
I hate the theory behind it (IST), and i know i will get shitass rankings in the hsc because i know that most of my current SDD class could get band 6's in the HSC for the programming part at this current moment.

I'm thinking of taking up either;

Biology
I like science, but Chemistry and physics more then Biology and doing all 3 sciences has been advised against from my peers. Workload + too much repetition of work.

Economics
I have interest in the economy, particularly Real estate (Residential & Commercial), i don't know if economics has any relation to that though...

and to a lesser degree;

Modern History and PD

all advice welcomed <3

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well if you don't like theory then SDD really isn't for you. It is quite common to have the classes best programmers never be the top SDD students as they think they are beyond the theory and tend to neglect it. Maybe if you still want to do a computer subject then IPT, although it basically is all theory it's not that hard to grasp or IT if you want practical skills mixed in with a bit of theory.

Although I didn't do any senior sciences from what I am told and have observed in Biology you need to memorise a lot, so take that into consideration.

Well Economics is probably the closest HSC subject that you will get to those interests but really there is a lot of facts figures, reports, economy terms etc to learn. Again this is what friends have told me so someone who has actually done the subject can help.

Oh Modern History, now there is a subject I have done and enjoyed it in the end even if there was an endless amount of readings, essays and debating historical facts going on. If you are interested in history and have an excellent teacher like I did then I would certainly say go for it. If your interest in history isn't that high then it probably isn't the choice for you.

Good luck with the decision and enjoy preliminary!

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
The repetition in the sciences may not be a bad thing as it reinforces what you know (btw I only do phys and chem). From what I have heard bio is a lot of memorising but can be quiet enjoyable.

My friend did SDD he liked it, I laughed at his exam "thingo=gizmo" or something like that.

I did eco. I loved it because it seems to have 'real life uses' or everyday relevance - if you get me (unlike physics which has almost none until you get to uni). Like you talk about things that are actually happening and their consequences eg on the news if they mention 'inflation' or 'interest rates' your like "Lolz I know what that means!"

I did PE too, it's good to have a break subject where you don't have to think as much cuz PE isn't a difficult subject to get your head around the consequences (IMO).

Do what you enjoy most. Talk to teachers, head teachers, past students, careers advisors, parents and friends etc and see what they have to say.

Lastly do know what you want to do in life and will any of these subjects help? :)

topdeck

HSC
Doing a humanities like economics or modern history might be a good way to balance out all the maths and science that you're doing...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If you like Science, pick Biology. There is probably a large amount of memorising, but all three Sciences interconnect.

HSC
N/A
I'd say pick up a humanities too. Unless you love science, you'll get really bored because except English, everything you're doing is a science. Plus if you're going after scholarships/uni places requiring interviews, you'll look more all rounded and interesting and capable.

(sciences > humglish though still, you guys. =))

topdeck

HSC
vulgarfraction said:
(sciences > humglish though still, you guys. =))
Objection! U can't even spell science without english!

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
There is nothing wrong with doing 3 science subjects. I did chem and bio and had a friend who did chem and physics. All three science subjects are different and there will not be too much repitition. Some things you learn in chem help you in physics and likewise with he others. If anything doing all three will help you understand work in the subjetcs in which it crosses over. Bio is more of a humanities tyoe subject whereas chemn involves maths and physics is primarily maths.

To clarlfy what pritnep said bio is not a lot of memorising. If you learn and understand key facts you will be right, a lot of this course i found was personal opinion and common sense.

HSC
N/A
Yeah, repetition of content isn't really a worry, but similarity of style of learning may be. But that depends on you.

Just don't do ag and bio. You'll be bored stiff.

topdeck- and without science you wouldn't be on your computer typing 'english' in the first place. =P

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
If you have an interest in economics, then take that up. if you dont like SDD, then dont take it up.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
SoulSearcher said:
I'd spell it in other languages, but I cbf.
Science in:

Spanish: ciencia
German: Wissenschaft
Italian: scienza
Arabic: العلم
Korean: 과학
Russian: науки

Courtesy of our favourite search engine, Google :p

Kujah

HSC
N/A
vulgarfraction said:
topdeck- and without science you wouldn't be on your computer typing 'english' in the first place. =P
and without science, you wouldn't have a BOS :rofl:

Last edited:

topdeck

HSC
vulgarfraction said:
lol fair call

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You wouldn't know about photoplankton without science ;)

PrettyVacant

HSC
English is the SCIENCE OF WORDS!

:\ Sorry, does that even make sense?

No? :(

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
Science - Phytoplankton - English

In order of least relevant to most. :D
I read from right to left in my world

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)