Second year student on YA, does the 2009 budget provide me with additional money? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am currently a second year student receiving youth allowance as a result of parental income, I am classified as a regional student because I moved from Katoomba to Sydney to study and currently get a Commonwealth Equity Scholarship of $4200 or so a year. I am aware that I wouldn't get the $2300 ish they are offering, but do I get the $1000 for regional students that follows the initial $4000 payment for first year students next year?

Miner

HSC
No-one gets anything until the Social Security Act gets changed.

If you aren't getting the full amount of YA then you will get more based on the changed parental income limits and the more generous taper rate. Other than that you'll be able to earn more from 2011 without it affecting your payments.

If you are getting the full rate and a scholarship then you're doing a lot better than most, and certainly better than the 30,000+ that won't be better off after changes to eligibility criteria next year.

Don't know why you think you're classified remote/regional because they haven't actually spelled that out yet other than to say you must live "more than 90 minutes drive" from your university. The universities no longer have a say in who is classified as what, because everything will be decided by Centrelink from Jan 1 and you'll only get what they say you're entitled to get.

HSC
He has to be classed as regional/remote because of his Accommodation Scholarship. I doubt that eligibility would change for someone already on the scholarship, given that they are valid for four years.

Miner

HSC
He has to be classed as regional/remote because of his Accommodation Scholarship. I doubt that eligibility would change for someone already on the scholarship, given that they are valid for four years.
In that case he'd get no extra because the Startup and the Relocation Scholarships exclude those on CECS or CAS already because their scholarships will be grandfathered.

HSC
In that case he'd get no extra because the Startup and the Relocation Scholarships exclude those on CECS or CAS already because their scholarships will be grandfathered.
I thought only the relocation scholarship did, this is what I was trying to get clarification on.

Miner

HSC
I thought only the relocation scholarship did, this is what I was trying to get clarification on.
As I said before everything is contingent upon the legislation that actually gets passed. Until that happens no-one can give you a definitive answer. There is a lot of conflicting information coming from govt and everyone is just going to have to wait to see what they actually end up tabling when they put the amendments to the Social Security Act to the Lower House. Even then the chances of them getting their amendments through the Senate without further amendment are next to zero.

Personally I'd be happy if the Senate fussed around for 12 months with this. That would give the 2008 school leavers the opportunity to get Independent status before Gillard can take it away from them.:mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)